Sponsored

JB4 Tuner Review/Install (10,000mile UPDATE)

LethalPerformance

Raptor
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.lethalperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 First Edtion 2.7L / 2020 Shelby GT500 CF
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
It works except for the fact that Burger customer service sucks! My BT isn't working any longer. I have it installed almost exactly the same as you do, with the box being 3m'd to the metal. BT worked for a month and now doesn't find anything.

You can't call it customer service if you can't even call them and have an actual conversation with a live human. This is an epic fail!

Otherwise, I agree with the review. The results are great. I just can't change the map now. So stuck in Map 1, which isn't the end of the world.
Was this purchased through us or direct with Burger? We haven't had any customer service issues with them so far. In fact our dealing with them since we got setup has been great.
Sponsored

cf_davey

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cyber truck
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Was this purchased through us or direct with Burger? We haven't had any customer service issues with them so far. In fact our dealing with them since we got setup has been great.
It was ordered thru you. I already have spoken to you guys. You told me to contact them. Do you know how mind-numbing it is to email back and forth trying to troubleshoot something?

Last edited:

LethalPerformance

Raptor
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.lethalperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 First Edtion 2.7L / 2020 Shelby GT500 CF
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
It was ordered thru you.m I already have spoken to you guys. You told me to contact them. Do you know how mind-numbing it is to email back and forth trying to troubleshoot something?
I'm really sorry to hear this and apologize about any inconvenience this has caused you. At no point should you be told to contact and deal with the manufacturer direct unless that's specifically how the manufacturer wants warranty stuff handled. Some companies like Aeromotive take pride on dealing direct with the consumer on customer service or product related issues.

However in this case you should have been taken care of already. I will personally look into this for you and we will send you a private message on how it's being handled.

Thanks for your understanding and again I'm truly sorry about the inconvenience.

Jared

lethaljake

First Edition
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F-150 RCSB 5.0
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
It was ordered thru you. I already have spoken to you guys. You told me to contact them. Do you know how mind-numbing it is to email back and forth trying to troubleshoot something?
Hey Davey, would you mind either messaging the Lethal account or me? Evidently, I cannot private message you haha. Getting an error message! I will look into this for us as well.

contented

Badlands
First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW M2 Competition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
In the BMW world, especially models in the last two years, dealer can absolutely tell if it’s been flashed then returned to stock, or had a box like JB4, Carhban, Dinan, etc installed and then removed. I hear conflicting opinions on whether they routinely check at service or only when a warranty issue presents itself. Is Ford the same? I have no clue.

As a general rule, the greater the number of connection points, the more control the box has. And the more expensive it is. But the bottom line is the power comes from added boost which isn’t always a good thing.

I added a Dinan Elite box ($800) to my 2017 Mini Cooper S with its 189 hp B48 BMW engine. It connected in four places if memory serves me. First time I went up the road, I couldn’t stop smiling. But the dirty little secret was it would occasionally throw a code, putting the car into limp mode or revert back to the original 189 hp. Three times over 2.5 years and always at an Inopportune time. Required trips to dealer to reset.

Tuning and suspension mods to that Mini (that many folks did) caused me to think of Newton’s third law of physics, ie for every action there is an opposite and equal reaction. I keep my BMW M2 Competition absolutely stock (yes there’s a JB4 for it). Many don’t. When I get my Bronco, no lifting or engine mods. Getting too old I guess. Don’t like risk.

Take care. Contented

Sponsored
OP
OP
BuckWildOffRoad

BuckWildOffRoad

Raptor
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands Bronco, King Ranch F250, Taurus SHO
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Great review! The JB4 is legit and worked just as advertised when we installed and tested it on my friends first edition.
I agree, it works very well, and is straightforward with install. I would do it over again, and might install it on my Bronco Raptor.

OP
OP
BuckWildOffRoad

BuckWildOffRoad

Raptor
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands Bronco, King Ranch F250, Taurus SHO
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

In the BMW world, especially models in the last two years, dealer can absolutely tell if it’s been flashed then returned to stock, or had a box like JB4, Carhban, Dinan, etc installed and then removed. I hear conflicting opinions on whether they routinely check at service or only when a warranty issue presents itself. Is Ford the same? I have no clue.

As a general rule, the greater the number of connection points, the more control the box has. And the more expensive it is. But the bottom line is the power comes from added boost which isn’t always a good thing.

I added a Dinan Elite box ($800) to my 2017 Mini Cooper S with its 189 hp B48 BMW engine. It connected in four places if memory serves me. First time I went up the road, I couldn’t stop smiling. But the dirty little secret was it would occasionally throw a code, putting the car into limp mode or revert back to the original 189 hp. Three times over 2.5 years and always at an Inopportune time. Required trips to dealer to reset.

Tuning and suspension mods to that Mini (that many folks did) caused me to think of Newton’s third law of physics, ie for every action there is an opposite and equal reaction. I keep my BMW M2 Competition absolutely stock (yes there’s a JB4 for it). Many don’t. When I get my Bronco, no lifting or engine mods. Getting too old I guess. Don’t like risk.

Take care. Contented

I will update this post if I ever get an error code running the JB4, but so far I have none. The warranty part of you post probably depends a lot on the manufacture. The JB4 definitely doesn’t flash anything, so the only way they could ever know was if they looked at logs of when you were driving and decide that it was getting more fuel and boost than OEM allows. They would then still have to prove that it was an installed device that caused the problem. I will ultimately be doing so many things that my Bronco won’t even be welcome in their service center. Cheers!

Reactions: 1IH

contented

Badlands
First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW M2 Competition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
OP, it wasn't my intent to throw shade on your post. Burger is a solid well regarded company for sure. And in my world the JB4 for a BMW S55 engine is said to give the best bang for the buck. I hope it works out for you.

My above referenced Mini Cooper seemed to have a positive and negative for every single performance mod I did. E.G. added a fat rear sway bar and coilovers - it turned into an amazing handling go kart w/ a cool stance. The cost? Rougher ride, CV joint vibrations with front spoiler scraping when car was lowered beyond 3/4". I won't repeat my thoughts on tuning boxes, but it's the same thing.

In my geezer mind, it all boils down to how much risk does one want to assume when making non Ford performance mods to a vehicle still under warranty. For me, the answer is none. You're on a different part of the scale and that's ok.

Take care and enjoy your Bronco. I'm envious.

Contented

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

OP, it wasn't my intent to throw shade on your post. Burger is a solid well regarded company for sure. And in my world the JB4 for a BMW S55 engine is said to give the best bang for the buck. I hope it works out for you.

My above referenced Mini Cooper seemed to have a positive and negative for every single performance mod I did. E.G. added a fat rear sway bar and coilovers - it turned into an amazing handling go kart w/ a cool stance. The cost? Rougher ride, CV joint vibrations with front spoiler scraping when car was lowered beyond 3/4". I won't repeat my thoughts on tuning boxes, but it's the same thing.

In my geezer mind, it all boils down to how much risk does one want to assume when making non Ford performance mods to a vehicle still under warranty. For me, the answer is none. You're on a different part of the scale and that's ok.

Take care and enjoy your Bronco. I'm envious.

Contented
Here we are again trolling posts for would be warranty issues 🙄

Are you trying to add confusion by saying the dealer will find out if a Piggyback tuner is removed?
Who do you work for Fords warranty company?

Sad to see your Debbie downer shit everywhere theres a modification in the thread....we already know you worship the OEM, go post your crap elsewhere please.

Ford built the Bronco on a modular easy-to-modify chassis just cause your gonna keep your bone stock, whenever you get it, don't mean we wanna hear about your warranty worries! How longs the factory warranty anyway? Iirc 3y/36m? Shit I'm already half past that. Stupid reason to make restrictions in your choices.

Last edited:

contented

Badlands
First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW M2 Competition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Allan, I'm just at a loss for words and I guess I'm not allowed in your world to post my thoughts or any information I may have. This is the second time you've done this. I know, you're always right, I'm always wrong, and not only wrong, but stupid too. You resort to name calling, and verbal browbeating, and belittling when you don't like what someone else has to say. A bully perhaps? Apparently your behavior is tolerated by the moderators. So, I'm done w/ Bronco 6G.

Hope you have a good life, and try not to burn too many library books you don't like.

Take care. Contented

Sponsored

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Allan, I'm just at a loss for words and I guess I'm not allowed in your world to post my thoughts or any information I may have. This is the second time you've done this. I know, you're always right, I'm always wrong, and not only wrong, but stupid too. You resort to name calling, and verbal browbeating, and belittling when you don't like what someone else has to say. A bully perhaps? Apparently your behavior is tolerated by the moderators. So, I'm done w/ Bronco 6G.

Hope you have a good life, and try not to burn too many library books you don't like.

Take care. Contented
Don't give up that easy buddy!

You have to realize these ”warrantee” topic have been beaten like a dead horse.... forscan, tuners, lift kits ect.... by lots of posters over-worried that there valves will fail and now Ford will use their new mod against them to somehow avoid paying for engine problems...Or the other folks with ridiculously big tires, and ultra wide stance wheels, who actually think Ford SHOULD pay for their busted tie-rods and or CV joints. I can and do relate with warranty lovers, on a previous single vehicle, I've had the engine replaced 2 times and the transmission replaced 3 times under warranty!!! As nice as that was, I still take full responsibility for my modifications that COULD actually affect something that might be denied.

But worrying that a lift, tune or goat mode change is going to affect my warranty is NOT ok with me. I do stuff without worrying, if I wanna do something I'll do it regardless of the rules, the warranty, or the risk....I don't allow fear, rules, and regulations to shape how I live my life, or the choices I make...

Hope you stick around. 🤨

pony2bronco

First Edition
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2DR FE
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Hey guys, I wanted to go ahead and share my review/opinion of the JB4 tuner on the 2.7 Bronco.
Hey can anyone with the JB4/2.7 installed let me know which firmware/platform/version they are using? Running into a ton of issues with the install and can't get a reply from the mfr.

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I Installed the JB4 last week and has been awesome ever since. After the install I emailed burger motorsport to ask what my real limitations are on various maps. For example I am running 94 octane in Canada and was wondering if I was safe to run in map 3 or even map 4. They immediately responded and asked me to send a log. I ran some tests at full throttle, sent the logs and they got back to me right away and told me everything is safe. They also advised they upgrade to the Alpha firmware 47/8//7. This enables drive mode map settings. So now I can set normal to map 1 , sport to map 3 and etc...

The service has been amazing.....

A few days ago I also installed a K&N cold air intake and turbosmart BOV. For some strange reason I have started to notice that it doesn't seem as powerful as it was. And I also noticed a few times when on map 3 and hitting full throttle the JB4 auto switched back to map 0 from map 3. So I have since reached out to burger and are providing them logs. My guess is the intake added more air and its starting to lean out maybe. We will have to see. What they say.

All in all. Great experience so far. !!!

MWILD

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 - BB Sasquatch - Mid - 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I Installed the JB4 last week and has been awesome ever since. After the install I emailed burger motorsport to ask what my real limitations are on various maps. For example I am running 94 octane in Canada and was wondering if I was safe to run in map 3 or even map 4. They immediately responded and asked me to send a log. I ran some tests at full throttle, sent the logs and they got back to me right away and told me everything is safe. They also advised they upgrade to the Alpha firmware 47/8//7. This enables drive mode map settings. So now I can set normal to map 1 , sport to map 3 and etc...

The service has been amazing.....

A few days ago I also installed a K&N cold air intake and turbosmart BOV. For some strange reason I have started to notice that it doesn't seem as powerful as it was. And I also noticed a few times when on map 3 and hitting full throttle the JB4 auto switched back to map 0 from map 3. So I have since reached out to burger and are providing them logs. My guess is the intake added more air and its starting to lean out maybe. We will have to see. What they say.

All in all. Great experience so far. !!!
I know this has been awhile, but how did your story unfold?

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I resolved the overheating issues and the power cut. By custom making a ABS plastic cover for my K&N cold air intake. The top lid is no longer open to the engine bay. It's sealed. By doing this it kept IATs way down in traffic and under full acceleration.

I did this testing right before winter and it's been great since. However it is winter and it's cold. So will see what happens when the sun.mer comes around.

I run 94 octane
I have the jb4 set to Map 2 on normal goat mode
And map 3 on sport goat mode.
With a k&N cold air and turbo smart BOV.
And it works great. It actually pull really hard.
For comparison
I rolled raced a genisis g70T sport from 20mph roll and was side by side with it the whole way.

One thing I noticed.
If you are going to tune your bronco it's probably a good idea to upgrade the intercooler.

I think a jb4 tuner with
K&N cold air
Corsa exhaust
Turbosmart BOV
Mishimoto intercooler
On 93 or 94 octane is a killer setup.

Only wish there was a tuning box out there that modified launch. Cause the Bronco is like a smart car off the line.
Sponsored