Sponsored

Last Call: Manual vs. Auto.. Why? (HELP!!)

Scooter

Black Diamond
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
65 Comet, 2011 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I read all the post on this thread. Yes a standard transmission is more engaging. Just makes you more self aware. I do not have to drive in grid lock to often. I am hoping a modern Standard Transmission has a lighter clutch. Standards suck when you have pain. Like if your back is sore.
I am a bit of an aggressive driver. Get out of the fast lane if you cannot keep up with traffic. Maybe the less stimulating Automatic would mellow me out or maybe it would just piss me off searching for the right gear and not shifting down quickly under load.
Sponsored

mC.242

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Big Bend 4dr (sold)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
One of the reasons I wanted the Bronco was to take more trips up into the mountains in the snow. How do you think it will be driving a MT Bronco in those conditions? I've never done it in anything other than a 2wd auto.

CJay

Badlands
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 Ranger FX4 (MANUAL) & '74 VW Thing
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
One of the reasons I wanted the Bronco was to take more trips up into the mountains in the snow. How do you think it will be driving a MT Bronco in those conditions? I've never done it in anything other than a 2wd auto.
I would expect with right GOAT mode, either transmission in the Bronco will handle very well.
Driving in snow is an experience where I prefer manual, for the ability to control RPM relative to ground conditions.

Ride Em Bronco

Big Bend
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Jeep Liberty Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
That is one of the many reasons that I prefer the manual - in winter conditions with snow and ice I am in more control because for the speed that I want to maintain for any given terrain I can select the ideal gear for the conditions and then stay in it and I can also compression brake rather than have to hit the brake and then possibly lose control

Last edited:

harpo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
not as many as I thought
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That is one of the many reasons that I prefer the manual - in winter conditions with snow and ice I am in more control because for the speed that I want to be in for any given terrain I can select the ideal gear for the conditions and then stay in it and I can compression brake rather than have to hit the brake and possibly lose control
Ditto

Sponsored

BigFootie

Heritage
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 ES-350, 2022 Badlands Sport, 2023 Heritage Ed
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

HarderCorer

Black Diamond
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
You won't have any problems with the MT and it will help you remember the drive more. Just the way our brains work. The more you move, the more of your brain you use, the easier to remember.

This is a big boy toy. Get the MT and enjoy yourself!

Clint

Base
First Name
Clint
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Jetta TDI
Your Bronco Model
Base
In the past, I've hurt my left foot or pulled a muscle in my left leg that left my clutch pedal foot pretty much useless. I don't want to have a $40K vehicle I can't drive because of a hurt foot for a couple of weeks.

Plus, I want a completely American assembled vehicle. The Bronco, 2.7L and 10spd are all assembled within a 200 mile radius from where I am at.

CJay

Badlands
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
In the past, I've hurt my left foot or pulled a muscle in my left leg that left my clutch pedal foot pretty much useless. I don't want to have a $40K vehicle I can't drive because of a hurt foot for a couple of weeks.

Plus, I want a completely American assembled vehicle. The Bronco, 2.7L and 10spd are all assembled within a 200 mile radius from where I am at.
I'm sorry this has happened to you.

In 30+ years of driving, there were exactly two days while I was on crutches for a left ankle injury that I couldn't drive a manual transmission. Fortunately for me, my vehicle had enough clearance that I could clutch with the arch and heel of my foot, so I was able to get right back to it.

Would I prefer the manual transmissions were made in the USA? Absolutely, but I've got no reason to believe that every other part will be US made. I'm just thrilled Ford understands some of us really enjoy the experience and is willing to invest in us.

Besides... in several years the government nanny-state will likely have anyone capable of owning their own vehicle mandated to some sort of networked self-driving pod.

Thankfully, we're not all alike. Manual, auto, V6, I4, IFS or SFA (because I miss the chairs)... Whatever works for you, get out and enjoy life while you can.

Sponsored

Mattmquin

Base
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche Cayenne GTS / Wrangler - TJ
Your Bronco Model
Base
2 of 3 of the Bronco guys in this SEMA interview said 2 door with manual. I think that says something. Watch starting at 18:15.

pan-y-cerveza

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I have been cranky about not being able to get a manual with mid on the BD.

Then, this weekend, I buried my 4Runner in a snow drift filled ditch, up over the wheel wells, in a farm field in the middle of nowhere. Thought for sure I wasn't getting out. Finally was able to get the truck rocking back and forth, and with crawl control, finally got out.

I know the purists will say I could have done it with better driving ability in the manual. Perhaps that's true. But being able to rock that 4Runner back and forth with the auto, and not having to work a clutch, made it a far less frustrating experience.

It was in that ditch I came to peace with an auto transmission.

CJay

Badlands
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I guess it comes down to technique and conditions. In the few times I've gotten stuck with an auto, I've had to R/D/R/D... it out. With a manual, I've been able to clutch/gas/clutch/gas... out most of the time without having to shift gears.

Either way, with the GOAT modes, I expect that Bronco doesn't get stuck in snow, snow gets stuck on Bronco. ;)

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I have been cranky about not being able to get a manual with mid on the BD.

Then, this weekend, I buried my 4Runner in a snow drift filled ditch, up over the wheel wells, in a farm field in the middle of nowhere. Thought for sure I wasn't getting out. Finally was able to get the truck rocking back and forth, and with crawl control, finally got out.

I know the purists will say I could have done it with better driving ability in the manual. Perhaps that's true. But being able to rock that 4Runner back and forth with the auto, and not having to work a clutch, made it a far less frustrating experience.

It was in that ditch I came to peace with an auto transmission.
I miss this for that reason:

Ford Bronco Last Call: Manual vs. Auto.. Why? (HELP!!) ShiftPattern

Generally not a fan of the reverse lockout rings/levers and odd placements.
Sponsored