Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

For the price coming out of B&P, a fuel door that locks when the truck is locked is not a unreasonable expectation. I am not worried about someone stealing fuel. I am worried about ex-girlfriends.
They're over you, I'm sure.
Sponsored

rjkmoto

Black Diamond
First Name
JK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Dodge Challenger Hemi 392 Scatpack Shaker, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
2020 Explorer, with intelligent access, just check the fuel door with vehicle locked and key inside house, opened right up.

2019 GMC Canyon, basic key fob entry..same result
Jeep Gladiator is the same as well as the Challenger. Our Pacifica was same way and it had a cap-less filler too.

The ONLY fuel door I’ve had lock with the car is the 2007BMW z4 I just bought. ?‍♂

JK

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Very few thieves are still syphoning gas these days. With plastic fuel tanks it is much faster to just poke a hole in the tank and drain it into a container. We have had to replace several fuel tanks on our shop trucks. They sit outside at night and sit high enough to make them tempting targets.

Judge Rufus

Banned
Wildtrak
Banned
Banned
First Name
Wheeler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Infiniti QX80, GMC Sierra, Mercedes SLK32 AMG,
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
For FORD Easy Fuel/Fill locking gas plug/cap.
I don't want to carry another key with me. Yeah, I could leave it in the car and get it out when I fill the thing up, but I'll just take my chances.

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Why? ...
I have zero concerns. ...
I have seen the inside of every fuel door on every vehicle I have ever owned filled with snow and or dust. I do not want that **** in my fuel tank. And no, a little flap in the filler is not going to stop it.

I will happily deal with twisting a cap on and off to prevent water and rock grit from getting into my fuel system.

This is a system designed to appease people who won't go off road on an ostensibly off-road vehicle.

Sponsored

pan-y-cerveza

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

How is this considered ok? Anyone could walk right up and easily dump something into your gas tank...
Ive never had a tank that locked in any sort of way. Anecdotal...but no one has ever dumped anything in it.

Vehicles have been built with gas caps that you can just open up forever. I've never heard of anyone dumping anything in.

Some fuel theft but I don't know anyone that has personally had it happen.

Not something that you or I should worry about.

A locking cap won't stop gas theft anyway. Thieves still just drill into the tank and steal it that way. Quicker than running a siphon.

MacHudson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Edge
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
My Ford has not had a gas cap since the day I got it. I’m not aware of there being any lock on the door. Going on 9 years, never had a problem so far.

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have seen the inside of every fuel door on every vehicle I have ever owned filled with snow and or dust. I do not want that **** in my fuel tank. And no, a little flap in the filler is not going to stop it.

I will happily deal with twisting a cap on and off to prevent water and rock grit from getting into my fuel system.

This is a system designed to appease people who won't go off road on an ostensibly off-road vehicle.
So what about us jeep owners that havent had a fuel door ever and get snow, rain & mud built up around the gas cap? Just a regular cap.

wavydave

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G8 GXP, 04 F150 FX4, Wildtrak 2DR, Badlands 4DR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Why? I'd hate to have a locking key-access fuel door or cap on a keyless/intelligent access/touch start vehicle the last thing I want to have to do is pull the key out of the fob. My 05 Wrangler doesn't even have a fuel door or locking cap on it, my f150 has a button operated fuel door and no fuel cap & my wife's grand Cherokee has a button operated fuel door and no fuel cap. Heck, my camper doesn't have a locking cap for diesel or the fresh water tanks.

I have zero concerns. If someone needs fuel that bad, then have at it. If someone has a psycho ex that will pour contaminants into your tank, then you need more than a locking fuel door or cap.
Agreed. Same for catalytic converters...

Sponsored

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

I've never seen snow inside the fuel door on my vehicles, particularly the ones with capless fuel tanks. The capless fuel tank needs to seal as tightly as a regular model in order to meet EPA regulations. That means no vapor escape at all. If vapor cannot escape, snow cannot enter. Do not worry yourself over non-existent issues.

jmadsen

Base
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 F350, 2017 Explorer, 1945 Ford GPW, 53 C6
Your Bronco Model
Base
Kids will be kids, when I moved into our new house I had the GPW parked in the driveway because the garage was a mess. woke up the next morning and my jeep was in the neighbors front yard. someone pulled it out of gear during the night and let it roll across the street! luckily didnt hit anything and no damage to jeep or lawn etc ! :)

Brownie

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands, 1981 Trans Am, 1972 Austin Mini
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There is a metal flap in the fuel filler tube that will only move away when you put the pump filler neck into it....or the special funnel that will be provided with the truck!

FLSTFI Dave

Raptor
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Grand Sport, Carbon 65, 2017 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
2020 Explorer, with intelligent access, just check the fuel door with vehicle locked and key inside house, opened right up.

2019 GMC Canyon, basic key fob entry..same result
My 2017 Platinum F-150 gas door does not lock. Love their is no gas cap.

My 2018 Grand Sport if the car is locked the door is locked. Love their is no gas cap.

Never had anyone put something in my gas tank. Have had gas stolen, but that was many years ago. New tanks are hard to syphon out of.

So I will not loose any sleep with no lock.
Sponsored