Sponsored

Looking for kill switch. Two Ram TRX's stolen in my neighborhood in the last week!

Bill K

Big Bend
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Big Bend 2 Door
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

The fancy transponder type keys make it easier. Not just clicking a FOB button. The perps walk around the house with an antenna seeking to get it close enough to the transponder key which often people keep near the door and rely the signal between the transponder key and the car to make the car think it is in the car. Even if not near the door but simply close enough to an external wall they can still pick it up. Hence storing it in a shielded container.
Just bought a couple of those blocking bags. Can't be too careful, and no room in my garage for the Bronco...
Sponsored

DUSTYcazOREGON

Black Diamond
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor/2022 Bronco/2006 Dodge Charger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Are these more sophisticated thieves cloning the FOB? It's not like they are hot wiring a modern vehicle. I keep my FOBs in a faraday bag while at home and they are always parked in the garage or behind a locked fence and gate. We never leave our vehicles outside. You also need to watch for theft rings while you are out shopping so they do not clone your FOB as you walk away and lock your vehicle. Sad time we are living in. We work hard to afford our rides.

Nordie

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think most criminals are looking for a quick and easy theft. Even slowing them down 20 seconds can be enough to deter them or to keep the alarm blaring for people to notice. It's better than nothing 🤷‍♂️
Put your Key FOD in a shielded box at night to prevent them from grabbing the Keyfob RF signal.

Solfive

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
they'll often take high value vehicles with a tow truck.

kill switches et al are useless against this type of theft
Exactly what happened to my F-350. Middle of the day in a busy grocery parking lot.

Texasliam

Badlands
First Name
Liam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Use one of the Aux Switch to cut power to the starter
Starter takes a lot of power. Fuel pump doesn't. But that starter could be done with a relay and aux switch. Hmm

Sponsored

tock13

Big Bend
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda, 66 Honda CT90, ‘94 Toyota Xtra cab
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

As someone said earlier, I have Ravelco also. Amazing product.
First I e heard of Ravelco, just checked out their website. Did you install it or have someone do it for you? Wondering how hard or involved installation is. This looks like the ticket.

EasternSierra

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Transit Connect van
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Are these more sophisticated thieves cloning the FOB? It's not like they are hot wiring a modern vehicle. I keep my FOBs in a faraday bag while at home and they are always parked in the garage or behind a locked fence and gate. We never leave our vehicles outside. You also need to watch for theft rings while you are out shopping so they do not clone your FOB as you walk away and lock your vehicle. Sad time we are living in. We work hard to afford our rides.
My wife and I lock all the doors with the door switch before closing the last door. That way there's no need to use the fob at that point. Of course you still need to use it (or your phone if that's set up) to get back in, but then you're driving away. This is on a '23 Ford Transit Connect van.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Couple of things..

1) the Key Fob goes to sleep after a few of no motion. So all this Faraday bag stuff is overkill.

2) California hates guns. If you shoot someone for stealing your car, you will go to jail (possibly even get sued to the point of bankruptcy), and most likely they will walk.

California passed a law effective this year that pretty much makes carrying your CCW is illegal everywhere except your house and your car... that's how much they hate guns.

The only thing that paused it was a pending injunction... but only time will tell who wins this one.

...my point being...weapons are not the answer to protecting "things" anymore.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
...my point being...weapons are not the answer to protecting "things" anymore.
Unless you live in Texas...

Even then, these guys are in and out before you even know they are there. Unless you have some pretty sophisticated proximity alarms and a fair amount of open space to detect the approach to take the vehicle... They have the advantage.

Your best defense is a secure lot/garage and even that won't always work. My father worked in a federal facility with a "secure" parking lot and thieves even broke into and stole cars there (bet-sty Brooklyn).

Sponsored

cbrenthus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BadSquatch, '02 T/A
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've known 3 people that had vehicles stolen in the last several years with the new FOB technology, and you know what? EVERY single one of them left the FOB in the car and the car unlocked! Actually, one of them left the FOB in their other car and unlocked, and thieves found it and used it.

My point is, that while some car theft is targeted, especially higher end vehicles, most of them are the subject of opportunity. All 3 of these thefts were the result of thieves going through the neighborhood, trying car doors, and stealing everything from unlocked vehicles. One of them was in my neighborhood, and my next door neighbor's car was taken. The next neighbor over had everything taken from her car and she told me she "always locks her car at night". The problem with that is that means she doesn't always lock it, and it's very easy to forget to lock it.

2 other ways I've heard of stealing a vehicle:

1. Repo men - when they have a good repo vehicle, they'll look for similar vehicles and tow them. If they get caught, they can say "oops, I thought it was the vehicle I was supposed to repo" and get a slap on the wrist for not checking the plate or VIN. This happened to a guy on the harley forum a few years ago, he came out from work to find his bike gone, and was able to find it and the repo guy claimed he thought it was a bike he was looking for and they weren't even close as harleys go, but the cops bought his mistake excuse.

2. Programming a FOB - a while back on the JL wrangler forum someone posted a video on how easy it is to program a FOB to a Stellantis vehicle. If the vehicle is left unlocked, you simply open the door, plug in the programmer, assign a new FOB, and drive away.

Herewegoagain

Badlands
First Name
Maxemus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Looking for kill switch (or other) recommendations for my Bronco as two Ram TRX's have been stolen (one just a couple of blocks from me) in the last week! Screenshots from NextDoor below. Thanks in advance!

the first post part 1.jpg

The first post 2.jpg

The second post.jpg
Looking for kill switch (or other) recommendations for my Bronco as two Ram TRX's have been stolen (one just a couple of blocks from me) in the last week! Screenshots from NextDoor below. Thanks in advance!

the first post part 1.jpg

The first post 2.jpg

The second post.jpg
This is what I have. Ravelco.com

Texasliam

Badlands
First Name
Liam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Wire this to an aux s

Use this and wire it to an overhead aux switch. It’s then easy to access and hidden in plain site like my Smith and Wesson.
Fuel pump fuse is 30 smp I think. Fuse #4 ??
I’m not willing to give up AUX#1 for that. So a relay. On aux 3457. I think.

bigdedition

Big Bend
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco, 1985 Ford Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

GTA V style, upgrade with C4 & remote detonator.. then is a just a insurance write off.
Sponsored