Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands 2 Door, '05 Victory Vegas 8-Ball
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This 100%.

I love the design of the new Bronco, but if it was automatic only - I would not buy one, period.
Sponsored

Ricepuddin

Badlands
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 BMW 340i and 1998 bmw m3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

jalexa27

Badlands
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 impala
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am totally looking forward to driving the mansquatch 2.3L.!!!

I am hesitant to admit this, but I am coming over from the dark side. I own a 2012 Porsche cayenne. I bought it with a 3.6 and a manual, a rare bird. It has eaten 4 transfer cases so far. Otherwise the car has been pretty reliable.

On that note as comparison, it has 300hp and 300 lb.ft. of torque. With the weight being similar, I compared the great ratios. I am impressed with the bronco's gears, the ratios are evenly spread and well selected. Everyone will be pleased with the gear spread. The shift points are nearly identical.

In short, the cayenne isn't a speed demon, but is a hoot to drive. I anticipate the broncos will be similar. At most I plan on doing the ranger like factory time and calling it good... Don't want to hurt the trans...

OP
OP
TheGuyATX

TheGuyATX

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I am totally looking forward to driving the mansquatch 2.3L.!!!

I am hesitant to admit this, but I am coming over from the dark side. I own a 2012 Porsche cayenne. I bought it with a 3.6 and a manual, a rare bird. It has eaten 4 transfer cases so far. Otherwise the car has been pretty reliable.

On that note as comparison, it has 300hp and 300 lb.ft. of torque. With the weight being similar, I compared the great ratios. I am impressed with the bronco's gears, the ratios are evenly spread and well selected. Everyone will be pleased with the gear spread. The shift points are nearly identical.

In short, the cayenne isn't a speed demon, but is a hoot to drive. I anticipate the broncos will be similar. At most I plan on doing the ranger like factory time and calling it good... Don't want to hurt the trans...
Wasn’t even aware they offered that model with a manual. Crazy you can acquire that with a manual but not a 911 Turbo.
I love seeing what the Ranger community is doing with the engine, the bronco will just further push the aftermarket to find out what it’s capable of doing.

Sponsored

jalexa27

Badlands
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 impala
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Wasn’t even aware they offered that model with a manual. Crazy you can acquire that with a manual but not a 911 Turbo.
I love seeing what the Ranger community is doing with the engine, the bronco will just further push the aftermarket to find out what it’s capable of doing.
Yeah... 2014 was the last manual year of the cayenne, I bought mine used and drove 1000 miles to pick it up!!!

I will have to check in the ranger tuning community. Hoping to keep mine stockish for a little while. Hard to improve on a manual 4 wheel drive with front and rear lockers...?

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Austin26

Base
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Base
While I love my Subaru Crosstrek, the engine is very, very slow though the manual is pretty nice. Driving the Bronco will feel like a muscle car to me.

Sponsored

jalexa27

Badlands
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 impala
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am going to throw a left curve in this conversation... If the 2.3 proves to be too limited and doesn't last more than 100k miles. Going to have to look into an LS swap. Those things can shoe horn into anything!!!

FrogGrabber

Black Diamond
First Name
Marshall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Former: 2012 Wrangler, 2015 JKUR, ‘70 Jeepster
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Honestly, I used to daily a 2-door JK with manual and 3.6 with 4.10 gears on heavy ass 35’s. It was plenty fast. If you look at Jeep forums, people aren’t worried about burning tires. It seems like a lot of folks buying bronco are coming from focus RS or mustang, whereas most of the Jeep crowd was coming from older Jeeps or trucks. This thing is going to be slow as piss with 2.3 manual compared to your mustang. It’s still going to be so fun to drive. Going 0-60 in 10 seconds with doors and top off while rowing your own gears is way better than going fast down a drag strip in a pony car. Going slow over rocks in 4Low is even better.

Last edited:

jalexa27

Badlands
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 impala
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Honestly, I used to daily a 2-foot JK with manual and 3.6 with 4.10 gears on heavy ass 35’s. It was plenty fast. If you look at Jeep forums, people aren’t worried about burning tires. It seems like a lot of folks buying bronco are coming from focus RS or mustang, whereas most of the Jeep crowd was coming from older Jeeps or trucks. This thing is going to be slow as piss with 2.3 manual compared to your mustang. It’s still going to be so fun to drive. Going 0-60 in 10 seconds with doors and top off while rowing your own gears is way better than going fast down a drag strip in a pony car. Going slow over rocks in 4Low is even better.
I completely agree... I test drove a Porsche macan S and it was a good 3 seconds faster to 60 than my cayenne... But I still thought my cayenne felt faster because it is waaaaaaaay more engaging...

Sort of like sitting in front of the fan making fake engine noises and shifting..

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I am going to throw a left curve in this conversation... If the 2.3 proves to be too limited and doesn't last more than 100k miles. Going to have to look into an LS swap. Those things can shoe horn into anything!!!
silly.jpg

Foordbrawnco

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am new to 4 cylinder turbos and have no options since I must have the manual. Can someone explain to me what the tune actually does? Is the tune sold by Ford? Why not just deliver the vehicle with the tune from the factory? I don't care at all about mpg just power.
Ford has tunes with warranty that they offer for the 2.3 in their other vehicles. They come with a 3 year/36k mike warranty and a high performance air filter. This is the route I would take as it ads 45 hp and 60 lb ft tq.

https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-9603-REB
Sponsored