Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 BMW 340i and 1998 bmw m3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Can you do the Ford Factory tune after you take it off lot, and then say you get it a year later, the warranty is only good for 2 more years?
My understanding is that the FFP warranty is something separate from the regular Ford warranty, but I am not sure how that works if you do a year or two later.
Sponsored

jrstorm1007

Big Bend
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2007 Ford Edge
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I wish I could get the manual, but traffic on Long Island is dreadful and this will be my DD. I sadly gave up on stick years ago.

TriggerTX

First Name
Trigger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
61 Ford T-Bird, Autozam AZ-1, Golf R, Suburban 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I am going to throw a left curve in this conversation... If the 2.3 proves to be too limited and doesn't last more than 100k miles. Going to have to look into an LS swap. Those things can shoe horn into anything!!!
I was just gonna try to steal the 3.5l Ecoboost out of a friend's Ford GT. I think about 700hp and a 6-speed sequential paddle shift sounds about right.

Gman90

Base
First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 mustang gt500
Your Bronco Model
Base
Would those additions void the factory tune warranty?
Oh hell yes it will. If something goes wrong put everything you took off back on correctly. The amount of cars we deny warranty claims on due to mods is a lot. This is coming from a used to be line tech at a dealer. I still work at a dealer but as a used car tech so I still see it. I wouldn’t care if some one blew up their engine due to bigger turbo as long as they put the stock one back on correctly. You can tell by the way the bolts look, but everyone I know in the dealer game don’t really care as long as you put your original stuff back on, can’t stress that enough. You show up with bigger turbos and a down pipe I wouldn’t hesitate to make you pay for the damages.

Sponsored

RedHotLava

Badlands
First Name
Red
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Oh hell yes it will. If something goes wrong put everything you took off back on correctly. The amount of cars we deny warranty claims on due to mods is a lot. This is coming from a used to be line tech at a dealer. I still work at a dealer but as a used car tech so I still see it. I wouldn’t care if some one blew up their engine due to bigger turbo as long as they put the stock one back on correctly. You can tell by the way the bolts look, but everyone I know in the dealer game don’t really care as long as you put your original stuff back on, can’t stress that enough. You show up with bigger turbos and a down pipe I wouldn’t hesitate to make you pay for the damages.
lol roger that, thanks.

ccsami4x4

Black Diamond
First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GX470, Evoque
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I'm excited! The only reason that the Bronco is in my sights is because of the 2.3 7MT combo! I've never owned a vehicle with more that 4 cylinders so I'm looking to keep that trend going, and I miss shifting my own gears.

Definitely the first thing I'm doing is putting on an exhaust system.
I'm getting the 2.3 w 7MT, but only because I want the manual transmission. If you've never owned a vehicle with more than 4 cylinders, all I can say is that you're really missing out! I'm not suggesting you can't have fun in a 4 banger, but there's just a different feel to driving a V8. Personally, I hate hate hate turbos (even though I know they make great power out of small motors, are more efficient, etc.)...so time will tell if I actually keep the Bronco once I get a chance to drive it and see how I like it. No point in me waiting for the bigger motors since Ford has been fairly clear that they won't be offering a manual with those.

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
The biggest mods I’ll probably do is full exhaust, big down pipe, intake, blow off valve for cool factor, and tune ?. No cats with the exhaust since I won’t have to smog for a few years. I don’t even think I’ll need much more power than stock, hell my 96 mustang Gt only made 215 engine hp lol. Little 2.3 puts out more Power than my 95,96, and 99 mustang Gt did. After a tune it’ll be right up there with my 07 mustang Gt.
Some notes:

1. The catalytic converters will most likely be built into the exhaust manifold pre and post turbo as it is with the Ranger and Mustang. You won't be pulling those out unless you're also swapping turbos, replacing all manifolds and plumbing, plus stand alone ECU (based off what they have announced regarding locking down their ECU on Bronco).

2. VTA (Vent To Atmosphere) blow off valves will only be possible if the factory ECU (see #1 above) is already 4-bar or adjusting air density to elevation, and not requiring the recirculation of that air back into the system. You can cause suuuuuuuper lean situations if you VTA a closed-loop system.

3. On Ranger and Mustang I seem to recall that a drop-in K&N air filter was more effective than an aftermarket intake.

4. Glass packs, NEVER discount the excitement of glass packs on a turbocharged application! Sure the turbos don't like backpressure, but that noise of 4 confused and angry cylinders is worth it.

L8apex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'14 Focus ST, '21 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Some notes:

1. The catalytic converters will most likely be built into the exhaust manifold pre and post turbo as it is with the Ranger and Mustang. You won't be pulling those out unless you're also swapping turbos, replacing all manifolds and plumbing, plus stand alone ECU (based off what they have announced regarding locking down their ECU on Bronco).
There is no catalytic converter pre-turbo. You would melt a cat in no time in that location.

Sponsored

Gman90

Base
First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 mustang gt500
Your Bronco Model
Base
I’ve switched back stock exhaust components on Multiple mustang EcoBoost And a few 2.3 Mazda’s and fords. I’m fairly certain the cat is after the turbo, all you need is to replace the down pipe. No cat on exhaust manifold. I could be wrong though ? same goes with the blow off valve, don’t need a tune just a BOV that is the same rated as stock just venting to atmosphere. Intake was just for the sound, no performance. Down pipe and full exhaust is also for sound, newer cars are so quiet now. I come from the realm of big power gains from superchargers and turbos, not little gains from exhaust and intake. The stock hp I think will be fine, with a tune even better, but I’m not going for HP with the bronco. Moderate acceleration and noise is my goal ?

Aut-Lin

Black Diamond
First Name
Aut-Lin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4dr Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I'm getting the 2.3 w 7MT, but only because I want the manual transmission. If you've never owned a vehicle with more than 4 cylinders, all I can say is that you're really missing out! I'm not suggesting you can't have fun in a 4 banger, but there's just a different feel to driving a V8. Personally, I hate hate hate turbos (even though I know they make great power out of small motors, are more efficient, etc.)...so time will tell if I actually keep the Bronco once I get a chance to drive it and see how I like it. No point in me waiting for the bigger motors since Ford has been fairly clear that they won't be offering a manual with those.
Yeah it's just worked out that every vehicle I've owned has been a 4cyl. 2 Subaru Imprezas, a Jetta TDI, and now my current vehicle is a Colorado with the 4cyl Duramax. The numbers for the 2.3L are pretty similar to what the Duramaz in my Colorado puts out (up on hp, down a bit on tq), so I'm confident that it'll be enough for the Bronco. And with the 7MT it'll be much more enjoyable for me to drive.

I've driven some V6s and V8s before and they are definitely fun. The feel, instant throttle response and no turbo lag are amazing! Probably my best experience was driving around a RAM 1500 hemi with full exhaust and intake, damn it was fun mashing the throttle on that truck and letting it roar!

BearWithMe

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Tacoma 6MT
Your Bronco Model
Base
There is no catalytic converter pre-turbo. You would melt a cat in no time in that location.
Early Subaru WRXes (2002-2005) had a cat in the up-pipe and a cat in the downpipe.

Yeah, the cat in the up-pipe disintegrated sometimes and then your turbo eats chunks of catalyst. Hopefully under warranty.

Yeah it's just worked out that every vehicle I've owned has been a 4cyl. 2 Subaru Imprezas, a Jetta TDI, and now my current vehicle is a Colorado with the 4cyl Duramax. The numbers for the 2.3L are pretty similar to what the Duramaz in my Colorado puts out (up on hp, down a bit on tq), so I'm confident that it'll be enough for the Bronco. And with the 7MT it'll be much more enjoyable for me to drive.

I've driven some V6s and V8s before and they are definitely fun. The feel, instant throttle response and no turbo lag are amazing! Probably my best experience was driving around a RAM 1500 hemi with full exhaust and intake, damn it was fun mashing the throttle on that truck and letting it roar!
I grew up on turbo cars -- I'm conditioned to expect (and predictively work around) some turbo lag. The linearity of NA engines and absolute lack of power reserves at altitude are so disappointing. I can't wait to be rid of my Tacoma.

Last edited:

evoaire

First Edition
First Name
Evoaire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
maybe a bronco
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Ok, so I’m dying to know.
Will the 2.7 mate up to the MT?
See what I’m thinking is swapping them out after warranty runs out.
Would the computer map well with this set up, doable?

This sounds like a win if it’s not to much trouble. Get the 2.3/MT now, install the 2.7 in three years.
Sponsored