Aut-Lin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4dr Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Same for me... I want mine to be (only slightly) louder than stock at WOT and have a cool, understated tip appearance. Please share what you'd like see in your 2.3L Bronco.

We've developed 2.3 Ecoboost exhaust systems for the Ranger, Focus RS, and Mustang. The Ecoboost engine sound is not terrific and is very different in the cabin for each of these vehicles due to engine power rating, RPM, AT or MT transmission, and interior cabin space. It takes time to develop a vehicle-specific muffler that adds sound but doesn't magnify cabin resonance (aka drone) at cruising speed. I can say we tested over 20 versions for the Ecoboost Raptor (some just sounded horrible), F-150 Ecoboost (2.7 and 3.5L), and Fiesta 1.5L and Focus 2.0L.

Borla has experience creating many turbo engine exhaust systems and I believe we have the best sounding exhausts for the Ecoboost engines. This experience will help us create an awesome exhaust for the new Bronco!
Personally I LOVE the sound of the Borla exhaust for the Ranger's 2.3 Ecoboost, hoping to get a similar sound with minimal/no drone for the Bronco!
Sponsored

BearWithMe

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Tacoma 6MT
Your Bronco Model
Base
Same for me... I want mine to be (only slightly) louder than stock at WOT and have a cool, understated tip appearance. Please share what you'd like see in your 2.3L Bronco.

We've developed 2.3 Ecoboost exhaust systems for the Ranger, Focus RS, and Mustang. The Ecoboost engine sound is not terrific and is very different in the cabin for each of these vehicles due to engine power rating, RPM, AT or MT transmission, and interior cabin space. It takes time to develop a vehicle-specific muffler that adds sound but doesn't magnify cabin resonance (aka drone) at cruising speed. I can say we tested over 20 versions for the Ecoboost Raptor (some just sounded horrible), F-150 Ecoboost (2.7 and 3.5L), and Fiesta 1.5L and Focus 2.0L.

Borla has experience creating many turbo engine exhaust systems and I believe we have the best sounding exhausts for the Ecoboost engines. This experience will help us create an awesome exhaust for the new Bronco!
Do whatever you can to make it sound like an old WRX with unequal-length headers and a Cobb exhaust ;)

AlvinT

Base
First Name
Alvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04VW R32
Your Bronco Model
Base
Personally I LOVE the sound of the Borla exhaust for the Ranger's 2.3 Ecoboost, hoping to get a similar sound with minimal/no drone for the Bronco!
The Borla catback sounds good on the 2.3L Ranger so this approach makes sense. Thanks for your input!

AlvinT

Base
First Name
Alvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04VW R32
Your Bronco Model
Base
Do whatever you can to make it sound like an old WRX with unequal-length headers and a Cobb exhaust ;)
The NA boxer engine is a unique sound especially with cat delete and unequal length headers.

The 2.3L Ecoboost is an inline 4-cylinder making a different sound than rhe boxer engine. Also, this sound is reduced by a single turbo and catalytic converter. Matching the boxer engine sound is not possible.

Our catback wonā€™t relocate or remove the OE catalytic converters and will remain emissions compliant. Weā€™ll likely increase the tubing diameter to improve flow and tune the frequencies to eliminate drone while cruising.

Thanks for your input!

BearWithMe

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Tacoma 6MT
Your Bronco Model
Base
The NA boxer engine is a unique sound especially with cat delete and unequal length headers.

The 2.3L Ecoboost is an inline 4-cylinder making a different sound than rhe boxer engine. Also, this sound is reduced by a single turbo and catalytic converter. Matching the boxer engine sound is not possible.

Our catback wonā€™t relocate or remove the OE catalytic converters and will remain emissions compliant. Weā€™ll likely increase the tubing diameter to improve flow and tune the frequencies to eliminate drone while cruising.

Thanks for your input!
Yeah man, I know this all too well. I miss my old WRX so much. Should have never sold it! Also, to pick a point, the WRX has a turbo as well and sounds way better than the NA Subaru boxers to me. The NA engines are just too harsh. Having the turbo in the way of the exhaust path helps take the edge off the sound.

Your Borla exhausts for the Mustang and Focus ecoboost sound pretty good, better than your Ranger exhaust. My only real advice to Borla is don't try too hard to make the 2.3L sound "trucky."

Sponsored

eatworksleepdie

Badlands
First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' Renegade, 20' Wrangler, 92' VW GTI
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The biggest mods Iā€™ll probably do is full exhaust, big down pipe, intake, blow off valve for cool factor, and tune ?....
A BOV in a closed loop system will most likely throw codes. An intake might mess with the O2 sensor too causing code throwing. Just as a heads up. You'll still hear the wastegate dumping without a BOV.

PhoenixM3

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R, 2018 Fiesta ST, 2018 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

A BOV in a closed loop system will most likely throw codes. An intake might mess with the O2 sensor too causing code throwing. Just as a heads up. You'll still hear the wastegate dumping without a BOV.
Exactly. Probably hear it with an intake alone.

AlvinT

Base
First Name
Alvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04VW R32
Your Bronco Model
Base
Yeah man, I know this all too well. I miss my old WRX so much. Should have never sold it! Also, to pick a point, the WRX has a turbo as well and sounds way better than the NA Subaru boxers to me. The NA engines are just too harsh. Having the turbo in the way of the exhaust path helps take the edge off the sound.

Your Borla exhausts for the Mustang and Focus ecoboost sound pretty good, better than your Ranger exhaust. My only real advice to Borla is don't try too hard to make the 2.3L sound "trucky."
Q: How important is the exhaust tip position with respect to the departure angle? Do you like the idea of improved clearance (where the tip is hidden), more exposed, or would you like it in the same position as the OE tip?

BearWithMe

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Tacoma 6MT
Your Bronco Model
Base
Q: How important is the exhaust tip position with respect to the departure angle? Do you like the idea of improved clearance (where the tip is hidden), more exposed, or would you like it in the same position as the OE tip?
Honestly, a hidden, unadorned exhaust tip sounds appealing. With a big shiny tip, itā€™s just one more thing to have to keep clean (Iā€™m expecting the ecoboost produces a fair amount of soot). I only care about how it sounds.

Aut-Lin

Black Diamond
First Name
Aut-Lin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4dr Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Honestly, a hidden, unadorned exhaust tip sounds appealing. With a big shiny tip, itā€™s just one more thing to have to keep clean (Iā€™m expecting the ecoboost produces a fair amount of soot). I only care about how it sounds.
I second this, something subtle and tucked up for more clearance, that's maybe pointing at a downward angle (45 degrees?) too. I'm also okay with it being similar to the stock position as well (pointing downward too).

Sponsored

AlvinT

Base
First Name
Alvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04VW R32
Your Bronco Model
Base
The exhaust tip is typically the only exposed component. Customer wants differ in look, sound, and performance. Iā€™ve learned that listening to owners is valuable when designing product. I appreciate everyone ā€˜s input about the exhaust tip.

I see the truck and offroad market customer wanting metal tips (not carbon fiber) in a less flashy finish so offering both polished and a dark finish is a good approach. Personally I like a matte black or charcoal finish with a turn-down angle that clears the departure angle.

Hoofnmouth

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford focus st
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

The biggest mods Iā€™ll probably do is full exhaust, big down pipe, intake, blow off valve for cool factor, and tune ?. No cats with the exhaust since I wonā€™t have to smog for a few years. I donā€™t even think Iā€™ll need much more power than stock, hell my 96 mustang Gt only made 215 engine hp lol. Little 2.3 puts out more Power than my 95,96, and 99 mustang Gt did. After a tune itā€™ll be right up there with my 07 mustang Gt.
Dude that is pure genius i never thought about how no smog for a few years after buying new ! I may go buck wild and just save everything so i can put it on lateršŸ‘Œ

JoeSpeed

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr 2.3 Manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I love boosted 4bangers and stick, they go together like PB&J.

If Jeep was smart and offered that combo, I'd overlook all their issues, but they didnt, and while I wont be getting a '21, a Base '22 is calling my name and the only real question is color

JT58Bronc

Base
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Miata track Edition
Your Bronco Model
Base
Borla makes excellent exhaust systems. I have purchased and installed quite a few and each and every time was very satisfied with Borla. Other systems have produced terrible drone. The only drawback is the cost- they are very pricey and most often I got another brand exhaust system- only to take it off and try another one. By the time you are done it would haven been cheaper to just go with the Borla. This happened to me on my 2016 Camaro V6 with M/T- 2 systems other than Boral. Awful, terrible drone. So I will be anxious to see/hear a system from Borla on the 2.3 Bronco for sure.
Sponsored