First Name
Jayson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12' Boss302, 08' Audi TT, 13' CRV, 14" Ridgeline
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
These are some of the first reviews by auto journalist.

Although the four-pot emits a less-than-invigorating thrum and is easier to catch off boost, particularly with the manual, it only gives up 30 horses to the V-6.

CAR and DRIVER

Both engines provide adequate response and low-end torque once geared down in four-low, but the 2.3-liter needs time for the turbo to wind up in daily driving.

HAGERTY

The rest of the transmission's gearing is excessively tall, and we had to change gears later than we normally would lest low revs magnify whatever turbo lag the 2.3-liter engine exhibits. As we charged up the steep inclines that give Texas Hill Country its name, we found we often had to downshift to fifth or fourth to maintain our mile-a-minute pace.

MOTORTREND

The clutch is somewhat vague, which combined with the 2.3's less-predictable throttle tuning made for a rather disappointing experience.

motor1

The 2.3-liter turbo-four seems to have enough grunt on paper, but it felt a bit sluggish in spots, especially when climbing a grade. I found myself downshifting more than I expected to, and it wasn’t until I hit some open highway late in the drive that I found myself using fifth and sixth gears. I wonder how the four-cylinder can handle the extra weight of the four-door – and how it works in concert with the 10-speed, regardless of door count.

The Truth About Cars

The 2.3-liter turbocharged engine definitely needs boost to have any amount of low-end torque. Starting off in first gear, I found myself lugging the engine a bit as the motor began building boost, taking a moment to accelerate out of the hole.

jalopnik

I went with the Bronco my id would want: a loaded, red, two-door Badlands trim model with a seven-speed manual transmission (only available with the smaller but still capable 2.3-liter inline-four engine). It was not the ideal choice for Austin, which was much hillier than I anticipated

GEAR PATROL
Sponsored

Gr8Hortoni

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler, Ram Rebel. Previously 2 wranglers and 4 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Didn’t want to double post but here’s a link to my initial test drive impressions of the 2.3/7MT in a 4dr Badlands:

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/4dr-badlands-2-3-7mt-test-drive-report.19079/
Hypothetically speaking, would a 45hp/60tq bump for the 2.3 be an adequate/noticeable enough difference to make it feel “fast” or at least sufficient?
Those are the numbers the fp tuner gives the ranger and I’m hopeful for similar numbers for the Bronco.

HorizonHunter

Badlands
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hypothetically speaking, would a 45hp/60tq bump for the 2.3 be an adequate/noticeable enough difference to make it feel “fast” or at least sufficient?
Those are the numbers the fp tuner gives the ranger and I’m hopeful for similar numbers for the Bronco.
I would think that depends on where that extra grunt comes in the rev range. If it's all late, you're still gonna have the lag issue accelerating and shifting that seems to be what most of the review complaints are about.

Gr8Hortoni

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler, Ram Rebel. Previously 2 wranglers and 4 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

HP seems mid to top, torque is low to mid, which I think will help a lot. Other tuners have pulled bigger numbers, but the fp is covered under warranty, which is why I’m looking at this option.
Ford Bronco Manual & 2.3 Ecoboost 0D9D918B-2B66-4D46-9925-44B1206DDA16

Sponsored

MSparks909

Badlands
First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford F-250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It definitely wouldn’t hurt, only thing I’d be concerned with at that point is if the factory clutch can handle the added power without slipping under high load scenarios. If so, will probably be a popular option. If you have to wait for a clutch upgrade...maybe not so much. Time will tell I suppose!

The few negatives I found don’t dissuade me at all from the manual. It’s worth it to me regardless. And I’ll probably end up tuning my eventual ManSquatch anyways. I can’t leave any of my vehicles stock

JoeSpeed

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr 2.3 Manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

These are some of the first reviews by auto journalist.

Although the four-pot emits a less-than-invigorating thrum and is easier to catch off boost, particularly with the manual, it only gives up 30 horses to the V-6.

CAR and DRIVER

Both engines provide adequate response and low-end torque once geared down in four-low, but the 2.3-liter needs time for the turbo to wind up in daily driving.

HAGERTY

The rest of the transmission's gearing is excessively tall, and we had to change gears later than we normally would lest low revs magnify whatever turbo lag the 2.3-liter engine exhibits. As we charged up the steep inclines that give Texas Hill Country its name, we found we often had to downshift to fifth or fourth to maintain our mile-a-minute pace.

MOTORTREND

The clutch is somewhat vague, which combined with the 2.3's less-predictable throttle tuning made for a rather disappointing experience.

motor1

The 2.3-liter turbo-four seems to have enough grunt on paper, but it felt a bit sluggish in spots, especially when climbing a grade. I found myself downshifting more than I expected to, and it wasn’t until I hit some open highway late in the drive that I found myself using fifth and sixth gears. I wonder how the four-cylinder can handle the extra weight of the four-door – and how it works in concert with the 10-speed, regardless of door count.

The Truth About Cars

The 2.3-liter turbocharged engine definitely needs boost to have any amount of low-end torque. Starting off in first gear, I found myself lugging the engine a bit as the motor began building boost, taking a moment to accelerate out of the hole.

jalopnik

I went with the Bronco my id would want: a loaded, red, two-door Badlands trim model with a seven-speed manual transmission (only available with the smaller but still capable 2.3-liter inline-four engine). It was not the ideal choice for Austin, which was much hillier than I anticipated

GEAR PATROL
Mods can take care of that, and tuning can eliminate a lot of the issue as well, speed things up quite a bit. Not saying 100% eliminated, but definitely make a difference

AlvinT

Base
First Name
Alvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04VW R32
Your Bronco Model
Base
We're planning (2) sound levels for mid-muffler system we call Climber. The climber is designed for those who rock crawl and want the best break-over clearance. It features a high-mounted muffler a single tip that exits behind the rear axle. As for sound we'll offer a quiet system (TOURING) and our popular (S-TYPE) sound. Our exhausts are less-restrictive than stock and typically improve fuel economy over the OE exhaust.

I personally will have the TOURING climber in a black finish and I've also designed a rugged, unique Off-Road styled tip. Stay tuned for pics...!

JoeSpeed

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr 2.3 Manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sold my truck recently, parents asked if Ill miss it.

i mean theres some sentimentality there, but other than the V8 na powerband and roominess, there’s nothing my current girl doesnt do better
Sponsored