Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Raptor, 1973 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Running 80 on the interstate this afternoon and all the sudden my RPM shot up then back down for no other reason, happen to see a 6 in the upper left hand side of the RPM. I was worried the 2.7 was going to crap out, but I figured out the issue quickly. I managed to hit the - button on the side of the gearshift, so it geared down at 80. After realizing what I had down I recalled hitting it a couple days ago, the Bronco was bucking of sorts and I couldn't figure out why, only lasted a split second. I always have my handed rested on the know. I'm really surprised this is possible when not in Manual. My Raptor you have to move it to M in order to use the +/-. Anyone else had this happen?
Sponsored

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
In "not manual" the +/- button is supposed to lock out higher gears. At least, that's what it does in every other modern Ford I have driven with an auto transmission.

RedDawg

Big Bend
First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chrysler
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Yep, Iā€™ve bumped the +\~ buttons too,with a similar panic šŸ˜³

OP
OP
daddycreswell

daddycreswell

Wildtrak
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Raptor, 1973 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

In "not manual" the +/- button is supposed to lock out higher gears. At least, that's what it does in every other modern Ford I have driven with an auto transmission.
Well clearly it's not, almost left some streaks in my drawers.

AK SNO RIDER

First Edition
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350, '04 6.0, '76 High Boy
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Well clearly it's not, almost left some streaks in my drawers.
You're misunderstanding. It's doing exactly what it's supposed to do. It remains in auto but locks out high gears. So if you click it down to 7 it'll stay in auto but will only shift 1-7.

Sounds like you're worried about over-revving but it's got a safety to prevent that.

Sponsored

Moto26

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F150 4x4 SuperCab STX -- 2016 Yamaha XSR900
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The Bronco doesnā€™t have top-gear lockout. If you shift down while in Auto, it will stay in that gear only until thereā€™s no heavy load on the engine, then it goes back into full Auto mode. Our Explorer was the same. I wish they had true top-gear lockout like the F150, but itā€™s still useful for engine braking when you want it, or if youā€™re preparing to pass someone and you want to be in a lower gear as soon as you hit the gas.

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

The Bronco doesnā€™t have top-gear lockout. If you shift down while in Auto, it will stay in that gear only until thereā€™s no heavy load on the engine, then it goes back into full Auto mode. Our Explorer was the same. I wish they had true top-gear lockout like the F150, but itā€™s still useful for engine braking when you want it, or if youā€™re preparing to pass someone and you want to be in a lower gear as soon as you hit the gas.
The Bronco has a fantastic top-gear lockout!
20220610_193100.jpg

Moto26

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
OP
OP
daddycreswell

daddycreswell

Wildtrak
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Raptor, 1973 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

You're misunderstanding. It's doing exactly what it's supposed to do. It remains in auto but locks out high gears. So if you click it down to 7 it'll stay in auto but will only shift 1-7.

Sounds like you're worried about over-revving but it's got a safety to prevent that.
I got ya.

Sponsored

Deleted member 32220

@moderater do you think itā€™s worth merging this and does anyone hate their ten speed. It seems everyone is just finding out about no top gear lockout but some goofy 5 second feature they added.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

THIS THIS THIS

Oldhippie

Big Bend
First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X1, ā€˜1928 model A, ā€œ23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Paddle shifters please!

Tarheel_Wes

Black Diamond
First Name
Wesley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

THIS THIS THIS
I have 2.7 Auto....interested in learning more about this and when/how to use it.....when you'd use the "+" and "-" while in Auto, versus moving the shifter to "M"....somebody above mentioned engine braking, is the idea that staying in Auto and using the "-" similar to older Autos that have the "2" and "1" gears to select..

and the idea of shifting to "M" and using the plus and minus is that it simulates a manual (without a clutch obviously)?

Moto26

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I have 2.7 Auto....interested in learning more about this and when/how to use it.....when you'd use the "+" and "-" while in Auto, versus moving the shifter to "M"....somebody above mentioned engine braking, is the idea that staying in Auto and using the "-" similar to older Autos that have the "2" and "1" gears to select..

and the idea of shifting to "M" and using the plus and minus is that it simulates a manual (without a clutch obviously)?
You've pretty much got it.

Reasons to shift down (-) while in Auto:

- Descending a hill, and you don't want to ride your brakes. Click down a few gears until you find one that keeps your speed in check. Once the road levels out, it will shift back up to the higher gears on its own.

- Going up a hill, and the engine feels laggy, or keeps hunting for a gear. Downshift until you find a comfortable RPM. Again, after you crest the hill it will automatically upshift.

- You're getting ready to pass somebody, but once you have an opening, you need to GO. Downshift until the RPM is right in the meat of the powerband. As soon as you gas it, it will take off nicely. As you accelerate, it will upshift on its own as necessary. (I find Sport mode very useful here, too)

- You simply want the vehicle to slow with engine braking, rather than just brakes alone. Play around with this. It's fun.

Reasons to shift up (+) while in Auto:

- None come to mind. šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

Reasons to use Manual mode:

- Any time you simply want to select your own gears, for any reason. The trans will stay in the gear you select (though there may be an automatic upshift if you over-rev, but I've never tried that to find out!). As you said, it's basically a manual without a clutch at this point. This is why a lot of people would prefer paddle shifters, rather than the little switch on the shift lever...
Sponsored