First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Well he said you have to pull the ring up to select the Crawl gear. So it would be pretty hard to “accidentally” do that. I’m also guessing that there will be a spring of some sort to make it feel different/make it more difficult when you are moving the stick All the way to the left.

RANT: Also... just my opinion but if there are people that are accidentally shifting into gears that they shouldn’t be in then maybe they should have got the automatic. It’s super annoying for those of us that know how to row to put up with the mistakes of a few people that shouldn’t have been in that situation. I get having safety protocols in place for these situations....it just really grinds my gears. Haha
Sponsored

Thechief86

Base
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Jeep XJ, 2008 Subaru Forester.
Your Bronco Model
Base
The first few times I drove my buddy's JK after several years in my XJ and Tacoma, I got reverse going for 6th gear a few times. It just made the awful grinding noise, but still pissed me off...

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Makes me wonder who the fuck is the moron that makes this a necessary process. It all started with one person... You know who you are:cautious:
As much as it is a little annoying, in this case it seems like a good idea. Don't want a downshift into second at speed going to C instead.

Hopefully the ring is only to get you over to R and C, and isn't needed between them. This looks like a super easy pattern to rock out of a deep hole with but that would be made unnecessarily difficult if you had to pull up the collar up each time.

Go_Galt

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester 6MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

When I search crawler gear, I only see Bronco coming up, is the Bronco the only manual made with a crawler gear? Like ever???

Also does anyone know the max and min speed for the crawler gear?
IIRC, the crawl ratio works out to about 5-6 MPH at redline. Not sure what the speed is at idle, but it's gotta be pretty slow.

And super short first ratios weren't that uncommon in manual trucks in farm/work truck spec throughout the 70s, 80s, and at least early 90s. The last vehicle I drove with one was an early 90s Chevy.

I just don't think any manufacturers used the "crawl" nomenclature. The shift pattern would usually just say "L" for low. And most people nicknamed them a "granny gear".

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I believe all the manuals I've had were push down to get into reverse.

When I search crawler gear, I only see Bronco coming up, is the Bronco the only manual made with a crawler gear? Like ever???

Also does anyone know the max and min speed for the crawler gear?
Lots of trucks had "granny gears" years ago, but they were labeled 1

Sponsored

Broncomputer

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GTI
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
IIRC, the crawl ratio works out to about 5-6 MPH at redline. Not sure what the speed is at idle, but it's gotta be pretty slow.

And super short first ratios weren't that uncommon in manual trucks in farm/work truck spec throughout the 70s, 80s, and at least early 90s. The last vehicle I drove with one was an early 90s Chevy.

I just don't think any manufacturers used the "crawl" nomenclature. The shift pattern would usually just say "L" for low. And most people nicknamed them a "granny gear".
Lots of trucks had "granny gears" years ago, but they were labeled 1
Ahh I see. I never been in an old manual with the L gear like that. Just an old Datsun 80's manual pickup.

So it's technically existed but the Bronco seems to be unique as it's its own dedicated gear?

iamchewby

Badlands
First Name
Chewby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That ring looks metal... might need to bring an oven mitt in the summer

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ahh I see. I never been in an old manual with the L gear like that. Just an old Datsun 80's manual pickup.

So it's technically existed but the Bronco seems to be unique as it's its own dedicated gear?
Right...years ago when everything was a v8 and manuals were way more common, a guy building a dedicated wheeling rig would look for those kind of trannies. A granny gear is pretty useless on a hotrod so those guys didn't want em. I'm also remembering I was told once that in Europe the super low gear was labeled G. Dont know what that stood for in German, but thats where the "granny" nickname comes from...that and u go real slow in that gear!

Incognito

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 jk
Your Bronco Model
Base
The Bronco with the 7 speed, Advanced Transfer case, standard 4.46 gears and 33" tires maths out to about 1mph per 1K engine RPM.
So kicking the engine up into the powerband at 3K is 3mph. Average human walking speed.
Perfect for wheeling with a spotter.

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

It's a good safety feature. I have 2 past vehicles (Mini JCW & Wrangler JK) with close R and 1st gear (upper left) position, that i have accidentally shift into reverse. I was lucky not to hit anyone with unintentional backing. Recent Wrangler JLR that I had have this pull up ring as well, but i had to give up and trade for a Tacoma.
Ok - that is weird - my JK is down and right for reverse. Never been a problem shifting from 5th to 6th.

Sponsored

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Sorry if its not the JK, but definitely the Mini JCW has a close R & 1st gear. I did not have that incident with the M2 Comp.
I was wondering if they changed or something.

I can tell you a Triumph Spitfire is up and to the right and it required a slight lift of the stick. If you were shifting fast enough from 2nd to 3rd the car behind you was in for a ride awakening when you let the clutch out.
Sponsored