First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BD 2dr 7MT CG, '18 Indian Chieftain
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I'm looking around at exhausts and noticed the MBRP dual tip exhaust for the 2.3 claims 100% more flow and 12hp, 12tq improvement over stock exhaust. Their claims for the 2.7 aren't low either.

Does anyone have this installed? It sounds like a pretty phenomenal claim, especially considering other exhausts are claiming 3-5hp improvements.
Sponsored

JT58Bronc

Base
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Miata track Edition
Your Bronco Model
Base
I cannot say for the Bronco although I installed a MBRP CAT back exhaust on my wife's 2013 Silverado with a 4.8 V8 and the results were excellent. Noticeable difference in performance- and wonderful sound too (although it is a V8, hard to get bad sound out of a V8). Excellent quality as well, I would not hesitate to purchase another MBRB exhaust system.

I would consider one for my Bronco 2.7 although I am so happy with the performance and sound of the factory exhaust seems fine so I am going to just leave it alone.

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
They are a reputable exhaust manufacturer and among those manufacturers you likely can't go wrong but HP and Tq claims should be the last thing to base a decision on when choosing an exhaust for a Bronco. There is no standardized test done for all exhausts and the relatively small displacement means the gains, even 10-15, are not likely to be felt by the ole butt dyno if that is your only modification.

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
12hp and 12lbtq is a pretty bold claim for simply changing the exhaust alone. Is this a cat-back system or just a muffler change?

Eljohno

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The drone and cackle of these aftermarket exhausts wouldn't be worth the HP gains that you wouldn't notice anyway IMO! I've heard several of my friends 2.3 and 2.7's with aftermarket exhausts and all have a drone at certain RPM's and cackle at higher rev's. I wish I could find an exhaust that would sound good on my 2.3, but it's really impossible to make them sound good. I will just leave it factory.

Sponsored

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The drone and cackle of these aftermarket exhausts wouldn't be worth the HP gains that you wouldn't notice anyway IMO! I've heard several of my friends 2.3 and 2.7's with aftermarket exhausts and all have a drone at certain RPM's and cackle at higher rev's. I wish I could find an exhaust that would sound good on my 2.3, but it's really impossible to make them sound good. I will just leave it factory.
Check out the AFE Apollo series 3" SS cat-back w/ muffler and resonator. I was pleasantly surprised...no popcorn fart crackle and hardly any drone except higher RPMs above 3k. Nice deep tone (compared to stock).

JerryC

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I can't say for the Bronco but seven years ago I put a MBRP cat back on my son's 2016 4cyl ecoboost Mustang.

It sounds good with no drone, still sounds like a 4cyl but it's a good sound.

12 hp/tq, you probably won't feel that in a Bronco as it is too heavy. It was that way for my son's Mustang.

Based off of the experience from my son's mustang, I'd say they made a quality product. Fit and finish was excellent and installation was very easy.

Eljohno

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Check out the AFE Apollo series 3" SS cat-back w/ muffler and resonator. I was pleasantly surprised...no popcorn fart crackle and hardly any drone except higher RPMs above 3k. Nice deep tone (compared to stock).
I will check it out! I know the ones I have heard were terrible, it would be nice to find one I like.

Gr8Hortoni

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler, Ram Rebel. Previously 2 wranglers and 4 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I installed thier cat back on my Ranger with the 2.3 and it was noticeable. 12/12 is a bold claim, but probably close. It sounded great too.

if I take delivery on my bronco (dealer made an oops on my order), mbrp is definitely on my checklist.

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

Black Diamond
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Thanks for sharing your experiences. I like that it has a larger muffler chamber and assumed that would assist in eliminating the drone. It's also positioned very close to the cat which is so different it has to have a design purpose. Not to mention they sell in different materials so if the household account manager shuts down the stainless steel I'll get the aluminized version.

The video on their site sounds great without attempting to be loud. Loud exhaust on a 4cyl is going to sound like crap.

https://mbrpexhauststore.com/3-cat-...-2-7l-ecoboost-2-4-door-t304-stainless-steel/

Sponsored
OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

Black Diamond
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
BTW I'm a mechanic. Yes I understand changing my exhaust isn't going to stop me from grabbing a dollar off the dash on a 1/4 mile.

I would like to see a dyno to see the impact at low rpm

Gr8Hortoni

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler, Ram Rebel. Previously 2 wranglers and 4 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

BTW I'm a mechanic. Yes I understand changing my exhaust isn't going to stop me from grabbing a dollar off the dash on a 1/4 mile.

I would like to see a dyno to see the impact at low rpm

Installation wise, me (a novice) and my buddy (Master certified tech) had the system installed on the ranger in about an hour and a half on a hoist, and I did most of the install, he was there mostly to make sure I didn’t do something stupid. 😂 It’s about as plug and play as they come.

CarmeloS

Badlands
First Name
Carmelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 2dr Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Why Im waiting for a downpipe, had one on my old EBM and that was more than I needed

HBTFD

Black Diamond
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Most likely the 12 hp gain comes somewhere around 5-6000 rpms. If you’re planning on drag racing it might help. Otherwise your just changing the sound of the exhaust.

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Even though this is a 4 cylinder it makes 300hp and getting 5% gain on the exhaust is not that outlandish. Pretty easy to 10hp if switching from a chamber muffler to a straight through. Probably get another 1-2 hp for every removed bend.

I wouldn't swap the exhaust unless it's for sound. The hp to dollar is pretty low. I will most likely go with a muffler delete and a glass pack since I am looking for clearance.
Sponsored