First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2dr Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Hey @Bronkers I only went back to the IC shutters (basically the front of the pads). So if I can just get a couple more inches back then up I will be good to go up a couple. Now seeing your pics of how far back the pipes are compared to the bumper pads, it might just make it. ;)

IMG_0386.JPG

IMG_0408.JPG
If you're not planning to locate any of the winch past the back of the frame pads (press-formed flares), you're well clear of the piping.

Good plan, now I'm thinking of bringing forward too. Lot's of winches seem to get a bit wider toward the center, could maybe still cheat some past the back of the pads a bit in that regard...

What do we have between the pads? I'll check at lunch...
Sponsored

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

If you're not planning to locate any of the winch past the back of the frame pads (press-formed flares), you're well clear of the piping.

Good plan, now I'm thinking of bringing forward too. Lot's of winches seem to get a bit wider toward the center, could maybe still cheat some past the back of the pads a bit in that regard...

What do we have between the pads? I'll check at lunch...

If I remember Mishimoto says like 20", I think. That is what I have between the "pads" on my bumper.

DBC Offroad

Raptor
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'23 Raptor & '21 4Runner TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Almost back together here. Leaving bumper and arb skids off for moment until i finish untweaking the trans cooler and bit more research for new recovery points and winch tray.

There is about 17-1/2" clear between the passenger side 90° elbow flange and end tank on driver side (no flange). Eyeing a couple short drum 9k winches that would squeeze in there and put the pull point right between the horns (and behind them/inside bumper/high and tight).

Cue winch advice if anyone wants to talk me out of a short drum (50ft of line). Also carry 30ft rope and 20ft strap.

I have FP tune. Driving impressions are probably biased but kit did seem like it woke up sport mode a bit more past the tune. Read inlet pressures drop but still nearly touched 20psi on short road test...anyone know what factory wastegate setting is?

Received in 2 days (they have hub in Sparks just north of Vegas). Kit is superbly well-designed, built, and finished. Bracketing is particularly elegant. Packaging was excellent with no powder coating blemishes. Instructions are the best I've seen for automotive aftermarket.

MINOR TIPS:

My install was on 2.7l, no acc or camera items to deal with as they are not equipped, nor do i have any of the (forthcoming) Mishimoto piping upgrades.

1. White tree clip with the weak loom tab on the ic shutter harness does not get reused so don't sweat it if you break it when removing from shutter

2. Pull the metal reinforcement out of the isolator bushings before trying to fit them thru the holes on the upper ic mounting tabs

3. Once lower oem (aluminum) support is bolted back in and ic is fully mounted, you can close up ic elbow and oem hose connections. It was windy today and leaving it open until toward the end of instructions with the dusty air we have was not great. Remaining small brackets and braces can be made after you close filtered airway.

4. Rotate hose clamps so studs are up in framing/out of the way of any future winch in-between or a hard bottom-out underneath (never again 😉).

5. Don't forget to plug headlights back in when you reinstall for last time. I missed the left one but was just able to cram my hand back there with the lower fascia still off.
20230402_175009.jpg
20230402_174951.jpg
20230402_174932.jpg
20230402_172436.jpg
20230402_150500.jpg
20230402_132506.jpg
20230401_131032.jpg
20230401_120130.jpg
20230331_182159.jpg
20230401_102432.jpg
20230402_112554.jpg
Great write-up. Thanks for the photos.
What was your interest in buying this kit? Was it for the performance or hidden winch clearance? I've been considering the same kit, but after seeing the 17.5" clearance, i'm not sure it is enough. Thanks!

OP
OP
Bronkers

Bronkers

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2dr Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Pimptastic @Bronkers.

Curious, how long did it take to install btw? Part of the reason I stuck with low mount for my 2.3 was install time, other is 'cause I'm lazy about returning it and also shop next door can hopefully get to the pipes this week
It's a full day affair for weekender skills. After instruction studies, unpacking, layout, and cleanup, I probably had at least another 6hrs actual work in it and did not do acc or camera and still haven't put bumper or skids back

Mishimoto

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hey @Bronkers - it looks like you had a fun install weekend! Thanks for sharing the pictures and install experience.

How much extra capacity does the IC have over stock?
49% increase in core volume and 93% in fin surface area:
Ford Bronco Mishimoto High Mount IC Installed 1680545033327

Ford Bronco Mishimoto High Mount IC Installed 1680545045485

Was giving this a serious look until I saw at the bottom of the page:

Please note: Adaptive cruise control may function to a lesser degree compared to stock interooler setup.
Yes, likely the same experience with all adaptive cruise control relocation kits.

Does this affect the radiator's ability to do it's job? I love the idea because I need a winch but I don't want to take from one to give to another if that makes sense.
The coolant temperature slightly increased over the completely stock configuration, but this was expected, as we put a large bar-and-plate intercooler in front of the radiator. The testing was still within normal range, so we see do not see it as a concern. We are confident that this high-mount intercooler will perform well, albeit you may see minimal coolant temperature increases depending on climate, driving style, and other modifications (ie, if you have a big bull bar + lights in front of your grille, be cognizant that you are adding a large intercooler in front of your radiator).

- John

Sponsored

VoltageDrop

Base
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23, 69 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

A 9k winch sounds pretty light, I guess it depends how you'll use it.

Any winch you can buy won't be able to pull it's rated load, so with a 9k you're going to hope you can always take a lot of line off of it and you're not too mired.
That's why you bring straps and a pulley so you can double your force, distribute the load on your vehicle, and get to the lower wraps on the drum to get full pulling power. Not generally needed for rock crawling recovery but mud is a whole different beast. I'm putting an old Warn M8000 on mine and it should be plenty. Bigger winches just make it easier to kill your alternator and I've been in that spot before in a swamp so now I make life as easy as possible for the winch if it's a tough pull.

Bronkey

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yes, likely the same experience with all adaptive cruise control relocation kits.
and when someone gets in a wreck caused by their ACC not working right, and their insurance won't cover it, they're pretty screwed, all because they installed this intercooler.

Last edited:

Tex

Wildtrak
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

and when someone gets in a wreck caused by their ACC not working right, and their insurance won't cover it, they're pretty screwed, all because they installed this intercooler.
That would be an excuse, not a cause, for the crash. ACC doesn't always function 100% from the factory and nobody is supposed to rely on it beyond a convenient aid when it's working right. If someone gets in a crash because the ACC doesn't work right, they would've crashed regardless. The situation then would be whether the driver wants to make up an excuse for their poor driving habits and get denied insurance, or admit their poor driving habits and have insurance raise their rates and cover the crash. Same could be said for a thousand other things we do to our vehicles.

OP
OP
Bronkers

Bronkers

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2dr Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
That's why you bring straps and a pulley so you can double your force, distribute the load on your vehicle, and get to the lower wraps on the drum to get full pulling power. Not generally needed for rock crawling recovery but mud is a whole different beast. I'm putting an old Warn M8000 on mine and it should be plenty. Bigger winches just make it easier to kill your alternator and I've been in that spot before in a swamp so now I make life as easy as possible for the winch if it's a tough pull.
My concern with this, if i go with short drum, is if I have to donate winchline to reeving, do I have enough to reach the problem?

Rope and strap can be used until you get to rigging/block, and a short drum is getting down to 'stronger wraps,' faster, so that's a benefit...but anyone been stuck out of reach before is I guess what I'm asking and how many times in your wheeling career?

OP
OP
Bronkers

Bronkers

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2dr Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Great write-up. Thanks for the photos.
What was your interest in buying this kit? Was it for the performance or hidden winch clearance? I've been considering the same kit, but after seeing the 17.5" clearance, i'm not sure it is enough. Thanks!
Main motivation was fact that I'd already stuffed oem ic into a sand dune (on base plastic skid) and was looking at about half the cost of the @Mishimoto kit to go right back to the same tender spot.

Skids' upgraded now too but way I see it, even if I never add winch I now have a sort of less consequential 'crumple zone' down there, should I go and do another dumb thing again someday (odds are high).

20230318_120341.jpg

Sponsored
OP
OP
Bronkers

Bronkers

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2dr Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
If I remember Mishimoto says like 20", I think. That is what I have between the "pads" on my bumper.
Right you are, 20" on the line. BUT, if we aspire to never again allow the ic shutter to live on our trucks, we could cut the mounting tabs and then clear 21-1/2"...think that opens up options even more...

Didn't have square but looks like 1-1/2" from face of pads to front inside corner of bolt flange

20230403_125324.jpg

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Right you are, 20" on the line. BUT, if we aspire to never again allow the ic shutter to live on our trucks, we could cut the mounting tabs and then clear 21-1/2"...think that opens up options even more...

Didn't have square but looks like 1-1/2" from face of pads to front inside corner of bolt flange

20230403_125324.jpg

Dude that is awesome. I might just get lucky for once in my life. :LOL:

Yepper !!!!! Planned on axing that tab on mine. ;)😁

Last edited:

Dmorty217

Black Diamond
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camery
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Nice write up, much more involved than the stock mounted location. I can have the truck back to stock in 5 mins. Looks great!

Tex

Wildtrak
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

This is great just for the sole purpose of running a hidden winch
Definitely, seems like it would be the hot ticket to locate a fairlead from a hidden winch up high where it would be most useful.
Sponsored