Sponsored

My Bronco Story - (warning REALLY LONG, there will be some dealer bashing, and a reasonably happy ending)

Johnny Mo

Raptor
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
teachu2shoot.com
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion Energi, Ducati XDiavel
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

So most of you outside the Mid-Atlantic forum don't know me, and I know there will be some here that view this as me being a whiny jerkoff with nothing better to do and I should just be happy with my Raptor and let it go...sorry, I'm not wired that way. A line was crossed and this is all about principle at this point. I'm a firm believer in FAFO.

This outlines the unethical and unscrupulous business practices of Brewster Ford Sales and its Owner Ken Volz / Volz Auto Group.

Over the past 2.5+ years I have been waiting for my reserved and special ordered Bronco, after agreeing on a price and signing a contract, upon delivery Ken Volz demanded a market adjustment price increase of $30k on a previously signed and agreed upon price. If I complained publicly or started any legal action, he threatened to negate all other undelivered deals remaining for the same group of 97 buyers. Additionally, he did not provide a referral bonus of $200 per car for the 97 referrals I brought to his dealership. As a result of this attempt to price gouge me, I lost my vehicle and was forced to re-order from another dealership, putting me at the back of an already 2 year wait and subjected to $8k in manufacturer price increases. He is a greedy, unethical, liar and a cheat and should not be allowed to conduct business this way. I entered this agreement/relationship with the best intentions and so there could be some level of mutual benefit, instead when he saw an opportunity to tip the scales in his favor he did and took my vehicle and sold it out from under me and kept my deposit. Now after 2.5 years of waiting, I am on line again with Ford at a new dealership forced to pay an increased price due to the added delays caused by Ken Volz and Brewster Ford. Ken Volz is the stereotypical used car salesman shyster that people don’t ever want to run across in business dealings.

On July 13, 2020 Ford announced the release and opening of reservations for the new 6th generation Bronco. The Bronco had not been in production for 25 years. I was interested, but had never experienced this new process of placing a $100 reservation deposit before, so I waited a week or 2 before seeking further information. By that time, the popularity of the Bronco and the new design was very high and there were over 100,000 reservations in the system. On August 10, 2020 I placed my $100 deposit and reservation with Rye Ford in Rye, NY. On August 13, 2020 I joined Bronco6G.com, as we all know when we reserved our Bronco and got excited about this new reservation process that Ford had implemented being told reservation holders would have their vehicles built FIRST before dealer inventory (that turns out to be a lie) During my time on the forums, many of us started to express concerns about popularity of the Bronco and dealers ability to actually receive enough allocation to support all the orders and for those that didn’t receive enough – would they then mark up the vehicles and squeeze the order holder for more than MSRP – essentially offering the special ordered car to the highest bidder instead. Several members (and some dealership employees) saw this as an opportunity to look to safety in numbers so a few club volunteers picked up the phones and started calling dealers to see if they would be agreeable to group buy pricing. I was the rep for the Mid-Atlantic region in the NY/NJ/CT area. What did that really mean to the 6g community?

In the middle of October 2020, after calling several dealers who were planning on marking up the Broncos ($10-15k) – even the special ordered ones that were “supposed” to be earmarked for the order holder, I made contact with Brian Nugent at Brewster Ford, in Brewster, NY part of the Volz Auto Group. I asked Brian if he was in a position to make a deal for a group buy and that I represented the tri state part of the B6G forum and could guarantee him 20 new customers if he would agree to invoice pricing on the special ordered Broncos, and that those members of the group would upon agreement, transfer their reservation to Brewster. If we did not hit 20 transfers – the deal was null and void. The deal guaranteed pricing for the B6G members that pre-registered through me, and the dealership would still make the holdback on the car. I would be the point person for the club – all questions and answers would funnel through me so that it would not tie up dealership personnel answering the same questions over and over and they could focus on their regular customer base.

Brian said he would speak to the owner and let me know. A few days later Brian had approval, and we had a deal. Brian and I began discussing over email the details of the written agreement and how we would create an actual personalized contract for each of the reservation holders so they would feel comfortable with transferring their reservation. On several occasions I provided comments to ensure the dealership was protected as well. By October 27th and 28th, we had agreement from the Owner – Ken Volz, that the special limited-edition version (First Edition) Bronco would ALSO be included in the pricing agreement. On November 11, 2020 I transferred my order from Rye Ford to Brewster Ford. When the order banks opened I went to the dealership to place my deposit and confirm my order.

By the time December 2020 rolled around Ford Corporate began putting information out regarding the popularity, and significant reservation backlog. At this point Brewster had approximately 89 deals of their own and 97 deals that I had brought to them from mainly outside of their primary market area. So Brian and I discussed closing the deal to any more participants. I had provided Brian with a spreadsheet which he then converted to a shared Google sheet so we could both update it.

In May of 2021, the auto group my wife works for as CFO, purchased a Ford dealership here in NY State, I knew that I could help her dealership by moving some of the deals to them, and I also knew that I had only guaranteed Brewster Ford 20 deals. Now that we were at 97, I could’ve easily transferred those 77 other deals away from Brewster, but I do not operate that way – this was always about building a relationship with Brewster who I felt would become my servicing dealership, so why wouldn’t I want to do right by them…that clearly is not how their owner thinks.

As the supply chain problems grew – Ford had difficulty in keeping up with the demand and many people were told they would not be receiving a 2021 Bronco and that their order would be pushed to 2022. My order got pushed to 2022 and I lost the ability to order the color I wanted. On January 24, 2022 Ford offered a lottery to the earliest reservation holders to have a chance to convert their current reservation to a Bronco Raptor trim level. I emailed Brian the next day since I had originally asked to be put on an unofficial Raptor list, but this new process would not allow me to be selected since Ford Corporate was handpicking the recipients. After several calls and emails back and forth with Brian he said that due to the outstanding performance of the dealership and in no small part due to my additional deals that I referred, that the dealership would be getting an additional Raptor allocation that could be sold to anyone they chose – Brian said that for everything I did for the dealership that I deserved it and he would honor the original invoice pricing. I jumped at the opportunity and signed the new buyers order that Brian emailed me. As the GM, and previous signer of the original deal for invoice pricing for “all trim levels” which included the limited First Edition, Brian clearly had IMPLICIT AUTHORITY to make this deal. Normally a sales person would send a buyers order to be countersigned by the dealership – this was coming directly from the General Manager.

Over the next several months more supply chain noise and finally some members were about to receive their Raptors in September/October 2022. 2 Members in particular Mark M and Tim B started to contact me with some concerns they had based on the vague conversations Brewster was having regarding delivery of their vehicles. It soon came out that the owner was upset with the General Manager because he offered the Raptor trim level vehicles to the B6G members at the same agreed upon pricing. (What I found out later in my conversations with the owner Ken Volz, was that his own family member purchased a Bronco Raptor at cost and subsequently sold it behind his back for a significant profit and it was now sitting on a used car lot for $30k more than original sticker (MSRP). Brian then informed me that the owner was forcing him to try and extract an additional $30k from all of the Raptor order holders. I sent letters to Ford Corporate pleading for assistance. In the case of Tim B he had already traded in his older F150 Raptor for $60k and Brewster held on to the money as a payment towards his Bronco Raptor (it was almost a year), they sold his F150 and now were asking for $30k more on what was already a signed and negotiated deal that was partially complete. Eventually Ford Corporate stepped in and enforced the sale to both Mark and Tim because FORD Corporate picked the “Golden Ticket” holders for the Bronco Raptor. I was not so lucky – because my Raptor was an earned allocation for their performance (due largely to my 97 additional deals) Bronco sales/conversions weighed heavily on dealerships receiving Bronco Raptor allocations. But since mine was earned by the dealership, corporate would not enforce the sale to me, even though we all agreed that I had a signed buyers order provided by the General Manager via email.

Things got worse as I negotiated with the owner directly, Brian the GM was forced to resign, terminated, left (whichever story you want to believe), and now the Owner threatened that if I went public on the forum with this issue, he would cancel all the remaining B6G deals. So I become the asshole now.... He told me it was just a “shitty situation, and that he regrets ever getting involved with the B6G community” He claimed he was having $300K stolen from him by the GM offering these vehicles as part of the deal. So after 2 years of reaping the benefits of additional sales, additional allocation from Ford and additional profit during COVID lockdowns – he regrets getting involved??? Really??? Additionally, the new GM Rob claimed that somewhere on the B6G forum they were getting “roasted” based on a customer who had a less than stellar service experience and they said as the point of contact that I was responsible and should TELL the forum members to dial back the negative talk. I told them I was just a member and had no ownership or administrative interest in the forum, policing language or discussions on it whatsoever, but in good faith – I would ask the members to “tone it down”. I did and sent him a screenshot of my message to the forum. This also went disregarded by the dealership…this was never about any sort of mutual benefit, this was always only about Ken Volz’s benefit and now that his unethical practices were being exposed he only became more greedy and more difficult to work with. To his day, I have not done anything to disparage the dealership or Volz AutoGroup, on B6G or any other social media platforms – but now - I don't care anymore, I cannot stand by and not say something about this and everyone think he was a stand up guy.

Both Ken and the new GM Rob told me that for me they would take only $15k over MSRP – even though I had a signed deal at invoice (close to a $20k spread) Additionally, after I refused they offered me $5k to walk away from the deal, and I’m sure to keep quiet about it – I also refused. So now 2+ years later after waiting for my car I am told to pay $15k more to get it, or walk away and lose my place in line - so I wrote another email to Ford Corporate and while all this was taking place, my vehicle was built and delivered to Brewster Ford on Dec 15-16th. But still Ken Volz would not budge on pricing and ultimately, I was forced to abandon my order. He did not return my $500 deposit until 5 months later - and I had to ask for it. He sold my vehicle – what I was told for $20k over MSRP (so by offering me $5k he would have cleared $15k over MSRP – which is the price he wanted from me – not exactly doing me any favors considering I brought him $4MM in sales, $150k+ in holdback / profit on the 97 referrals – and not a single $200 referral fee sent to me, not a single dollar reduction in price for the vehicle I ordered, and not honoring a signed buyers order from the General Manager who had IMPLICIT authority to enter into that deal.

My original vehicle has since been sold by the dealership and I was placed in line again by Ford Corporate at a new dealership where I am paying MSRP. Since the time of when I was supposed to have my vehicle from Brewster, the MSRP price has risen twice on the vehicle. From $82,321.80 (invoice) to 84,965 (new price 1) to now current price since I have not been built yet to ($98,215) That is a $17,225 difference as a result of the greed and unethical business practices of Ken Volz and Brewster Ford. Additionally, to try and cover their tracks, they deleted the shared spreadsheet that highlighted all of the deals I brought to them – unfortunately for them not before I saved a copy, I also have the HUNDREDS of private messages and emails on the B6G forum from all of the members with their questions, requests to be added to the group buy and their words of thanks for helping to orchestrate all of this when they got their Broncos.

In May of 2023, some members of the B6G forum began discussing delays and price protection being offered from Ford and whether Brewster Ford would honor it. Some of those conversations evolved into playful banter about the deal and dealership as well as their personnel. Nothing in those conversations was by any means offensive or derogatory – maybe postings about a bad customer service experience, but agreeably – not flattering – let’s be clear, making a deal like this doesn’t buy censorship in a public social media forum. Well in this case Ken Volz thinks it does – he refused to do business with certain members of the forum citing some of those postings, and when their vehicles arrived from the factory, he chose to cancel the deal and sell it to some other customer, not the intended reservation/order holder who had been waiting nearly 3 years for their vehicle (who has now lost their place in line and must re-order a new vehicle and wait another 6-8 months). The consensus from the Brewster deal group was that the relationship, in Ken’s eyes, had run its course and that we were no longer of any benefit to him. We helped him pump up his numbers, helped him and his staff through the pandemic, afforded him the benefit of being ranked one of the top dealers in the region, which leads to more allocations and ability to sell more vehicles from Ford. Ken Volz is a disgrace to honest business people in the car business everywhere and he is why people don’t trust car dealers. I would never trust or look to buy a vehicle from any of the Volz Auto Group properties.

I did finally get my Raptor- 6 months after my initially scheduled delivery, but until it was in my driveway - there was always doubt, always aggravation, I was always unsettled. Some of you will say dude get over it - it's just a car, some of you will understand. Either way thanks for reading. Oh by the way the Brewster guys are here reading this too I'm sure.
Sponsored

Last edited:

KillerPenz

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
So the pre-emptive release the hounds seems to have landed perfectly. Where is @lumberjack357 and his photo shop skills when you need him?

It's been a long road brother, glad you finally got it. And let's hope Brewster gets what's coming to them. We put them on the map only to get slapped in the face. 🤬

Rob1135ny

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Moab
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I agree ! Brewster refused to sell me my Bronco as well…. Had to get it transferred to another dealership so they could sell it to me. And the new dealership wouldn’t sell it to me at the price Brewster was. Brewster screwed me out of $3,000!!!!!

Msell71

Big Bend
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco, 84 SVO, 66 2+2
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Wow, that is some horrible service. Here’s hoping that karma finds its way to them.

Sponsored

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

I don't usually jump to the lawyer up response but sounds like you had more than enough to take them to court for breach and loss of funds. If you haven't already I'd tell your story to your DA at least, doubt they'll do anything but there's allot of fraud at play here. Big dealers like this have no problem to lawyer up and have the funds to drag it out but at the expense of their "reputation".

If you're happy just telling your story and enjoying your replacement Raptor then fine but remember you're still supporting a company that let's this happen over and over again, we all are.

OP
OP
Johnny Mo

Johnny Mo

Raptor
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
teachu2shoot.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I don't usually jump to the lawyer up response but sounds like you had more than enough to take them to court for breach and loss of funds. If you haven't already I'd tell your story to your DA at least, doubt they'll do anything but there's allot of fraud at play here. Big dealers like this have no problem to lawyer up and have the funds to drag it out but at the expense of their "reputation".

If you're happy just telling your story and enjoying your replacement Raptor then fine but remember you're still supporting a company that let's this happen over and over again, we all are.
Like I said I'm a firm believer in FAFO...there is a contingent here that will do what they do when they see that as a group there was an attempt to take advantage of forum members. Govt agencies have all been notified and they will begin their investigations. There's always google and yelp...there are 46k members here, pretty short-sighted of the owner to do this for a couple thousand extra bucks when his entire staff was appalled at the approach with the exception of FNG who took over and had no skin in the game to do anything but his boss's bidding. My lawyers are ready for whatever else comes out of this but let the govt offices start taking their shots first.

swamp2

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
911 Carrera S / 4Runner TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Hopefully, there were many signed agreements between dealer and the group buy members, not just yours. Those, as you know, are legal, enforceable contracts and you (and assuming many others) have been clearly financially harmed by contracts being not adhered to. If many folks indeed had signed agreements, this case it ripe for legal action.

Glad you have your Raptor, thanks for sharing your story and best of luck.

Sponsored

Autoenthusiast2

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23’ BRaptor, 23’ B/L, 22’ Tundra TRD Pro, 22’Trx
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
All I can saw is WOW….One of the craziest dealer “shister” stories I have heard in a long time. I just don’t get it…How can a dealer in today’s day and age not get it?? With all the forums, internet, Blogs/Vlogs, Dealerrater.com etc. do they really think they can get away with this type of B/S? I truly hope someone higher up with FORD Corporate sees this story and investigates. I would think FORD would not want this to have any type of reflection on them and the type of dealer principle’s they have representing their brand.
Best of Luck…Glad you finally ended up getting your BRaptor.

OP
OP
Johnny Mo

Johnny Mo

Raptor
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
teachu2shoot.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Ford was not helpful…. They said they couldn’t do anything for me due to that fact they were an independent dealer. Ford said they could do nothing!
Only reason Ford helped me is because I had a date with NBC news NY that evening. I may or may not have mentioned something about scorched earth in my email to corporate.

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

@Johnny Mo Not sure there’s anything here that a lawyer can help with, unless it’s a buddy with deep pockets and who likes to watch the world burn, because dealerships hide behind state laws erected over decades of backscratching politicians; particularly in the North East and Deep South where anything a business wants is blessed.

Hosever, hope this is a cautionary tale for you and lesson in retail business which is the most cutthroat there is. You can’t trust them under any circumstance; the margins are kind of thin, loads of competition, and there are threats to the industry at every turn. These are some of the reasons why these types of businesses are shady as hell; no way around it.

You were only trying to be helpful to a lot of people and you were, so do know that although it may not feel that way. Yes, you did get hosed in the process, but in the end, you got what you wanted and have learned a valuable business lesson…… I hope.

In the future, know that you never have a deal with a dealership until you sign at delivery, there are a million variables that make everything, well, variable.

Thank you for posting the story and I’m glad you decided to out this crap dealership. There’s only one Granger and no I didn’t order through them, but am happy so many others on the forum did.

Now, go get that damn Raptor dirty, or you’re just as bad as those Brewster dirt bags! :)
Sponsored