Sponsored

My SAS Badlands on the trail today, main takeaway: These tires suck!

Jdyount

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hit the trails today at KSRocks. Had a great day but definitely had some struggles here and there.

Videos never really do trails like this justice, it was very steep with loose rocks, had several holes dug out, and a shelf at the top. Dad ran up it before me in his 2020 Rubi, 2 door, 3" lift, and 35" Pitbull Rockers. Tires made ALL the difference. The Rockers allowed him to climb up fairly easily. The Territory MTs on the SAS really are just awful. You can see they're completely clogged, combine that with the leaves and lose rocks, no way for me to crawl that trail. I made it up but had to bump way too much. You can really hear the bash plates screaming on the ledge at the end, nothing like hearing your $63k Bronco make that sound!

I see a lift and 37's (that actually work off-road) in my near future...

Sponsored

Mr. Nice

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jayson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12' Boss302, 08' Audi TT, 13' CRV, 14" Ridgeline
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yah they suck for you but Ford didn't put them on for that trail. They put them on for everyone else that drives on roads. Most need two sets.

Last edited:

Roll Sound

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wildtrack 2DR MIC OW, 2014 KTM RC8R
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
What tire pressure were you running? It looks high. Maybe not I just watched end again. Hard to tell but I am curious. those are my tires too.

OP
OP
Jdyount

Jdyount

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What tire pressure were you running? It looks high.
12 psi, any lower and I was really going to start losing ground clearance due to flat tires....

Sponsored

Roll Sound

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wildtrack 2DR MIC OW, 2014 KTM RC8R
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
12 psi, any lower and I was really going to start losing ground clearance due to flat tires....
Yeah, that's in the wheel house for sure. I edited my post above.

OP
OP
Jdyount

Jdyount

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yeah, that's in the wheel house for sure. I edited my post above.
The first time I went out I had them at 20, definitely too much. Taking them down to 12 helped with the rocks but the beauty rings took a beating today... I'm going to get an extra set and swap for wheeling. I knew they'd be sacrificial after I saw what they looked like on the Off-Roadeo Broncos (and I went on opening day).

OP
OP
Jdyount

Jdyount

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Watch the TFL video today with the same tire on an extreme Colorado trail...no problem at all and only down to 25psi. I believe they're a little better on the rocks/gravel than mud/leaves.
Ya I would probably agree with that, but they are MT tires so you'd think they could handle a little tiny bit of mud. It was fairly dry today but there are always a few trails that hold a bit of water at KSRocks.

The biggest point I want to make here is Ford should have offered at least a couple of choices for SAS tires. It's not a one size fits all thing. Obviously those tires are quiet on-road and that's why Ford chose them, but let me make that decision.

Last edited:

Sponsored

fschael

Base
First Name
Federico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 F-150 Supercrew FX4
Your Bronco Model
Base
They are actually pretty great tires off-road., but they are not a mud tire. They are an AT.
That's correct! On this tires MT doesn't stand for Mud Terrain, It stand for Maximum Traction.

Rubisquatch

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Wildrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Agree the GY is better at rocks/gravel than mud and leaves. But, would be curious if a 4 door Jeep ran your same line on the same day/with your group (as opposed to your Dadā€™s 2 door) as sometimes the 4 door wheel base will have trouble in holes where a 2 door wonā€™t and vice versa.

OP
OP
Jdyount

Jdyount

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yep, not a Mud Terrain tire...marketed as Max Traction.
OK lets excuse the fact that MT=Maximum Traction is essentially a bait and switch given that it's a fairly established standard that AT=All Terrain and MTā‰ All Terrain...

They do however market it to clear mud, which it absolutely does not (below 30 MPH).
Ford Bronco My SAS Badlands on the trail today, main takeaway:  These tires suck! 1638789789326

It was not muddy out there really at all, just a few spots. The mud in my tires was from like 20 minutes before we even got to this trail.
Sponsored

Last edited: