Sponsored

Need Opinion - Baja Design vs Diode Dynamics for Fog Light Pocket (Mod Bumper)

Coffeegrinds

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I'm trying to decide between the two options below for my modular steel bumper fog light pocket.
I'll be using the bigger, main light for driving on mountain roads in the snow and fog. And I'd like to use the smaller lights for off road use in the desert. My overall priority is to use the fog lights when it's snowing, and I'm headed up to the mountains.

Should I change up the smaller lights to cornering or flood?
Should I make all the lights amber/yellow?
Can I kill the amber backlighting on the Diode? I don't want to waste a switch for it.

Thanks.

Baja Designs:
- Amber Squadron SAE, Wide Cornering
- S2 Pro, Driving/Combo
- S2 Pro, Spot

Diode Dynamics:
- SS3 Max, Yellow SAE Fog
- SSC2 Pro, White Combo
- SSC2 Pro, White Spot
Sponsored

the poacher

Badlands
First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 ford ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If your main concern is to be able to drive comfortably in some pretty ugly snow storms, change every light to the Yellow SAE fog.
This will maximize your ability to see in snowstorms and you will be thankful you did what I have suggested.
I live in Whistler, B.C., and drive to the interior of our province regularly. I go through the Duffy Lake road, and it gets as wild as it can. All my lights are yellow SAE in my modular bumper and it is the only way to go.

OP
OP

Coffeegrinds

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Thanks. Maybe I have commitment issues, but do you think that I should leave one of the lights white for non snowy conditions in the dessert?

Chrome_Pony

Badlands
First Name
Chrome
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2.3L Badlands High, 2017 LWN Duramax Z71
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Baja Designs. I would get the wide lens instead of the SAE, personally, but if you encounter other drivers frequently (high population area) maybe the SAE would be better for them.

The coatings are far superior to Diode Dynamics.

SPVPARTS

Badlands
Lux Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
specialtyperformanceparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Ford Raptor/Bronco/Mach E
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm trying to decide between the two options below for my modular steel bumper fog light pocket.
I'll be using the bigger, main light for driving on mountain roads in the snow and fog. And I'd like to use the smaller lights for off road use in the desert. My overall priority is to use the fog lights when it's snowing, and I'm headed up to the mountains.

Can I kill the amber backlighting on the Diode? I don't want to waste a switch for it.

Thanks.

Baja Designs:
- S2 Pro, Driving/Combo
- S2 Pro, Spot

Diode Dynamics:
- SSC2 Pro, White Combo
- SSC2 Pro, White Spot

We actually have some cool demonstration videos that may help with the different combinations...

As far as Baja, you can get 3 FULL Size Squadrons in there with our kits. An S2 is 1/2 a Squadron. So you can get 30% more output with 3 Squadrons than 1 with 2 S2's.

Also, a Driving Combo is actually 1/2 a wide cornering lens and 1/2 a spot lens.
So if you did a Squadron Driving Combo, it would be the same as an S2 Spot and S2 Wide Cornering. That opens up 2 more spots for Squadrons. You could add a Wide Cornering Amber and a Clear SAE if you wanted? Or Vice Versa. Baja updated their SAE so it isn't so much a wide cornering any more. Is more focused. So the Amber may work better for you in a wide cornering.

Just a thought. Let us know if you have questions or need help configuring anything.

On the Diode, the cases are larger so you CAN'T put 3 full size in. If you really want the backlights, then obviously, that may be the route for you. If backlights aren't as much a concern, you can get the full size in the Squadrons.

You can also get 3 full size Rigid D series in there and they have a dual SAE clear and yellow... (video below)

SPV Parts

email info @spvparts.com
Phone/text 317-934-6778

Here you go-

Sponsored

Bigmoose

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Flex Ecoboost Limited
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I vote baja since you don’t care for backlighting. I have diode in my pockets and baja LP4s on the mirrors. Baja has a much higher quality powdercoat.

i suggest baja S2s pros in wide corning. One yellow one white. I think squadrons look way to squished in the pockets.

Below is my original post. If i were to do it again id go baja. I would also go with the Greenlane Offroad pocket bracket. I found it much higher quality than the one I originally used.
https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/alternate-fog-pocket-solution-installed.28897/

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Outer Banks
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.4x4TruckLEDs.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Raptor & 2021 Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Thanks.

Baja Designs:
- S2 Pro, Driving/Combo
- S2 Pro, Spot

Diode Dynamics:
- SSC2 Pro, White Combo
- SSC2 Pro, White Spot
I think you ended up buying the Diode Dynamics kit from us, correct?

Diode Dynamics is a popular kit, one of our most popular sellers.

Baja Designs has a higher quality housing with a lifetime warranty but you get more light for less $$ with Diode Dynamics. Plus you can get the back-lighting which is great

Kits available here for those who want a fog kit (use coupon code BRONCO6G and save 10%): https://www.4x4truckleds.com/vehicle-specific/ford/ford-bronco/2021-bronco/

With our brackets you can actually fit 3x Squadron or 3x SS3 in the bumper, BUT we restrict our kits to 2x Squadron & 1x S2 (or 2x SS3 & 1x SSC2) as the max size because the last light (if using a 3" light) gets blocked with both brands. It's doable but on both brands the outside light WILL get block partially so we just don't offer it that way.

OP
OP

Coffeegrinds

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Thanks for your help.
By the way, do you know if I can choose not to hook up the backlighting? I’d rather not have that on all the time or lose an aux switch for it.

dejones64

Black Diamond
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2-dr Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I went with Diode Dynamics for the pockets. Inner 3" spot (angled toward the ditch a bit), middle SAE white fog, outer SAE yellow fog, all Sport. All amber backlit. I do wish I could have afforded the Pro's at the time.

I also have the DD 30" light bar on top of the bumper, driving beam. This by far is my brightest light with furthest throw.

Sponsored

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Outer Banks
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.4x4TruckLEDs.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Raptor & 2021 Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Thanks for your help.
By the way, do you know if I can choose not to hook up the backlighting? I’d rather not have that on all the time or lose an aux switch for it.
You don't have to. Our harness (which you'll find is AWESOME) has a control wire labeled "BL" just don't connect it. Leave it for later

Diode Dynamics

First Name
John C.
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.diodedynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Undecided

Thanks.

Baja Designs:
- S2 Pro, Driving/Combo
- S2 Pro, Spot

Diode Dynamics:
- SSC2 Pro, White Combo
- SSC2 Pro, White Spot
Honestly, the setup you've arranged with our Stage Series pods in our fog pocket kit is a great choice.

Ford Bronco Need Opinion - Baja Design vs Diode Dynamics for Fog Light Pocket (Mod Bumper) 147147136_3833184590038362_3735534625593680105_o

The SS3 Max in 3K selective yellow is going to be the widest road-legal beam pattern on the market with even intensity throughout the spread of light.

The SSC2 in a flood is going to only provide foreground lighting directly in front of the vehicle.

The benefit of the SSC2 combo lens is the fusion of our driving/flood optic for ground and long range.

The SSC2 spot optic is going to be even tighter than our driving beam pattern and pack a serious punch downrange.

If you ever change your mind on color, we do offer snap-on covers and the TIR optics are interchangeable if you prefer.

Additionally, our pods are powder-coated with a matte black finish.

All brands of LED pods are going to have wear and tear over time from the elements depending on where you live and the environments you introduce them too. BD gloss finish is commonly to dull and the anodized finish turns purple.

Hours: Monday-Friday 10 a.m. - 5 p.m. CDT
Email: [email protected]
Phone: 314-205-3033

Merc4x4

Badlands
First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks.

Baja Designs:
- S2 Pro, Driving/Combo
- S2 Pro, Spot

Diode Dynamics:
- SSC2 Pro, White Combo
- SSC2 Pro, White Spot
I went with Morimoto 4Banger HXB in amber; 1 wide, 1 combo, and 1 spot on each side because I was having a hard time trying to figure out which pattern I wanted to have the most light in the kits with 2 different sizes. The Morimoto kit uses the 3 of the same size lights.

https://www.morimotohid.com/Morimoto-4Banger-LED-Fog-Lights-Ford-Bronco-21?quantity=1

HPR23Wildling

Wildtrak
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tesla Y, 2012 BMW 335is vert
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Honestly, the setup you've arranged with our Stage Series pods in our fog pocket kit is a great choice.

Ford Bronco Need Opinion - Baja Design vs Diode Dynamics for Fog Light Pocket (Mod Bumper) 147147136_3833184590038362_3735534625593680105_o

The SS3 Max in 3K selective yellow is going to be the widest road-legal beam pattern on the market with even intensity throughout the spread of light.

The SSC2 in a flood is going to only provide foreground lighting directly in front of the vehicle.

The benefit of the SSC2 combo lens is the fusion of our driving/flood optic for ground and long range.

The SSC2 spot optic is going to be even tighter than our driving beam pattern and pack a serious punch downrange.

If you ever change your mind on color, we do offer snap-on covers and the TIR optics are interchangeable if you prefer.

Additionally, our pods are powder-coated with a matte black finish.

All brands of LED pods are going to have wear and tear over time from the elements depending on where you live and the environments you introduce them too. BD gloss finish is commonly to dull and the anodized finish turns purple.

Hours: Monday-Friday 10 a.m. - 5 p.m. CDT
Email: [email protected]
Phone: 314-205-3033

is it possible to have a set come on only when high beams come on?

I was driving the blue ridge parkway at night this week. The deer (and even a bear) were EVERYWHERE. Even with high beams on, I wanted more light down range.

Having the outer set be spots that come on with the high beams would mean that they would automatically go off when the high beams are on auto.
Sponsored