Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Ultimate Wrangler and two other normal cars
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I wasn't going to post my experience installing this kit https://www.diodedynamics.com/stage-series-fog-pocket-kit-for-2021-ford-bronco-w-steel-bumper.html but thought I should as it might help someone, even one person is worth posting it.

I purchased the kit back in December. Got it in Feb or March, can't remember, and wanted to have a good day set aside to tackle the project. Glad I did. I am sorry that I didn't really take any pics of the install but wanted to share my experiences.

1. Quality of the product is excellent.

2. Quality of the install instructions not so much. However, I do understand this is a brand new product by DD and they are definitely trying to improve on that. Regardless, still felt like I was a beta tester.

3. The harness that came with the unit, a very nice harness with nice connectors, was designed more for a Bronco that doesn't have uplifters. It had a relay for the all lights and a separate switch. You don't use the switch when you have uplifters but you also don't really need a relay too. This is where I was a bit stumped because I was so confused that there was this relay when I didn't need it. I did modify the system to my liking though. What I had initially envisioned was the amber backlights (basically the fixtures internal glow 'just for looks' lights) would turn on when my headlights/parking lights were on. Then I would use two uplifter switches, one for fogs and one for driving lights. In order to do this I had to modify the harness because the harness was designed to be all lights on/off and the backlights could be wired to an uplifter or tap into some other circuit. Took me a bit and some more wire but I modified the harness to work the way I envisioned and deleted the relay. The Deutsch connectors were easy to take apart once you knew how. I ran a 3rd power wire down to each harness and took advantage of the unused 4th pin in the connectors. I then modified the small harness that attached to the fixtures so I had 3 circuits (instead of the two it came wired as). One for the fogs and the other for the drivers. The backlights were already wired. It appears that the new harness shown on their website now requires you to run two wiring harness to each side of the vehicle. I could be wrong but the small harnesses shown on the website that have two connectors on one side and three on the other are for the fixtures. I don't know why they would do it this way as it is easily done with one main harness and a bit of rewiring on the fixture harness. I'm sure they have their reasoning. I have pointed out to them and, since they package the harness separate from the lights, there should be an uplifter version and a non-uplifter version. Why make it more complicated for those that have uplifters? Plus, in my opinion, the harness for uplifter Bronco's would be cheaper for them too.

4. Take off the end caps of the mod bumper. Makes life so much easier.

5. Put the fixtures on the brackets before installing the bracket to the bumper.

6. Make sure yokes are nice and tight before installing to the bracket. The fog lights have captured nuts so you can get the yoke nice and tight. The smaller driving lights do not and it was a pain getting the yoke tight because the small nut is so close to the body of the fixture I didn't have a tool that fit well around it. Eventually just used a flat head screwdriver in-between fixture body and nut to hold it. My sockets were all too thick to fit between body and nut and I didn't have an open ended wrench the right size.

7. I really wish the brackets would have just been fixed holes or markings that say "mount here" for the fixtures because there isn't really too many ways you can mount these fixtures if the bumper end caps are on. It takes time positioning, then putting end cap on to see fit (you don't have to bolt end cap on for test fits), reposition, rinse and repeat. I also took off the front crash bars for more room to work. Once positioned you can tighten the nuts that attach the fixtures to the bracket. Then put end caps back on and your crash bars.

8. I ran my passenger side wire harness below the radiator on the inside where there was already a wire harness mounted. You probably could run the harness on top too under the cover that, when removed, exposes nuts to take the grill off. Getting my arms down there to use zip ties was a bit tricky.

9. I tied my backlights into the parking wire by removing the drivers side headlight. Which is surprising easy. There are videos on YouTube and there is a post here that shows which wire is for the parking lights.

10. If you are planning on tying into the parking lights I would suggest to just take off the grill and lower body trim under the grill before you start running your wire harnesses. I remember thinking that it would have been a lot easier when I did it just to access the parking light wire. Of course, that was after I had everything installed already.

11. I also used locktite on my screws that attached the bracket to the bumper.

Hope this write up can help someone.

Ford Bronco Diode Dynamics Fog Pocket Kit for 2021 Bronco mod bumper install - DIY how to tempImageOI1FwT
Sponsored

BadMan

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2018 Forester
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
BL Mike,
Thank you for this write-up - I am trying to achieve exactly the same thing. I've asked DD if the currently shipping harness is the same or slightly different from the version you received. Has DD or anyone come back to you? Have you come across any pix or videos that illustrate how you modified your harness?

I'm waiting for a full weekend day without rain to do my install.

Best,
BadMan

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Outer Banks
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.4x4TruckLEDs.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Raptor & 2021 Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

BL Mike,
Thank you for this write-up - I am trying to achieve exactly the same thing. I've asked DD if the currently shipping harness is the same or slightly different from the version you received. Has DD or anyone come back to you? Have you come across any pix or videos that illustrate how you modified your harness?

I'm waiting for a full weekend day without rain to do my install.

Best,
BadMan
The harness DD includes is setup for switches but they also include some additional wiring adapters to use upfitters. They use relays and upfitters to trigger the relays. It's a lot of extra harnesses, work.

The Diode Dynamics kits we offer (with our KR Off-Road Brackets) use a much simplified harness though. Plugs into the back of the light and then connects to the upfitter. No relays or extra wiring needed.

This is what the Diode Dynamics harness looks like:

Ford Bronco Diode Dynamics Fog Pocket Kit for 2021 Bronco mod bumper install - DIY how to 1689700458031

Easy-v

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The harness DD includes is setup for switches but they also include some additional wiring adapters to use upfitters. They use relays and upfitters to trigger the relays. It's a lot of extra harnesses, work.

The Diode Dynamics kits we offer (with our KR Off-Road Brackets) use a much simplified harness though. Plugs into the back of the light and then connects to the upfitter. No relays or extra wiring needed.

This is what the Diode Dynamics harness looks like:

1689700458031.png
Thanks for that @4x4TruckLEDs.com was going to post about the differences between your harness and the Diode.
Assuming three lights, with backlight - would your harness than use 4 switches? I dont suppose it matters wich ones (due to the amp rating of the upfitter switch)?

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Outer Banks
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.4x4TruckLEDs.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Thanks for that @4x4TruckLEDs.com was going to post about the differences between your harness and the Diode.
Assuming three lights, with backlight - would your harness than use 4 switches? I dont suppose it matters wich ones (due to the amp rating of the upfitter switch)?
Correct. Each pair of lights is on it's own switch and the back-light is on a 4th switch.

It doesn't matter since you have sufficient amperage on any circuit

Sponsored

BadMan

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2018 Forester
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Update: I stared at the harness supplied with the DD Fog Pocket Kit for a long time and said....no. Too complicated, too many options, too much wire, etc. The harness sold for the purpose from 4x4TruckLEDs.com did the trick. It was simple and intuitive.

Regarding the backlights... the advice from DD was again a bit too complicated even though the video makes it look so easy! In the end I followed someone's advice on the forum (thank you sir) to remove the grill and driver-side headlamp assembly. There were a lot of screws and clips, but it was easy. With the headlamp assembly off it was easy to see from a diagram (again thank you Bronco6G Forum) the 'parking light' wire to tap into using a clip / t-tap? thingy which came with the DD wires.

All done and very successful. I have it set up now the way I had intended - backlights on with parking lights and headlights when fogs off. I used one aux switch for the fogs and another for the 'driving lights' which are awesome.

If anyone wants to buy the unused DD wire harness let me know.

Thanks again to everyone on the forum.
BadMan

PS _ I forgot to mention that again, as someone suggested, I removed the side bits of the modular bumper - which made installing the lights MUCH easier. You can pre-asseemble the lamps to the bracket on a bench. One caveat to note - the threads RUST very quickly if like me you don't have a garage. I used a wire cleaning bit and a drill to scrape out the rust, rinsed with hydrogen peroxide, and lubed with WD40 before replacing. Hopefully I can get them off again when I want to (probably in 10 years).

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Outer Banks
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.4x4TruckLEDs.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Update: I stared at the harness supplied with the DD Fog Pocket Kit for a long time and said....no. Too complicated, too many options, too much wire, etc. The harness sold for the purpose from 4x4TruckLEDs.com did the trick. It was simple and intuitive.

Regarding the backlights... the advice from DD was again a bit too complicated even though the video makes it look so easy! In the end I followed someone's advice on the forum (thank you sir) to remove the grill and driver-side headlamp assembly. There were a lot of screws and clips, but it was easy. With the headlamp assembly off it was easy to see from a diagram (again thank you Bronco6G Forum) the 'parking light' wire to tap into using a clip / t-tap? thingy which came with the DD wires.

All done and very successful. I have it set up now the way I had intended - backlights on with parking lights and headlights when fogs off. I used one aux switch for the fogs and another for the 'driving lights' which are awesome.

If anyone wants to buy the unused DD wire harness let me know.

Thanks again to everyone on the forum.
BadMan

PS _ I forgot to mention that again, as someone suggested, I removed the side bits of the modular bumper - which made installing the lights MUCH easier. You can pre-asseemble the lamps to the bracket on a bench. One caveat to note - the threads RUST very quickly if like me you don't have a garage. I used a wire cleaning bit and a drill to scrape out the rust, rinsed with hydrogen peroxide, and lubed with WD40 before replacing. Hopefully I can get them off again when I want to (probably in 10 years).
We like to use anti-seize. If you take our bolts off on our demo truck's bumper you get covered in the stuff :) But man do those bolts come out CLEAN 2 years later :)

For anybody looking for this kit, if you go with our kit w/KR Off-Road brackets the harness is included AND you save money as well. Plus you get to pick what lights you want: https://www.4x4truckleds.com/diode-...ckets-for-2021-ford-bronco-hd-modular-bumper/

We also have a flush mount version available as well now: https://www.4x4truckleds.com/diode-...ckets-for-2021-ford-bronco-hd-modular-bumper/
Sponsored