Sponsored

New hair brained scheme: need any info you guys might have on if this will work?

Valhalla

Badlands
First Name
Valhalla
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco,1996 Bronco, F350, JKU, MKZ, Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I had thought abought going with the Baja kits suspension system closer to my warranty ending. Then I started contemplating portals. After I discussed portals with people who seemed to know them better than me i went back to the Baja kits. I was wondering after looking over it the other day if I could just use Raptor parts and save some money towards axle upgrades that way. I am going to spend some time researching part cost soon. Hopefully I can get with @vrtical and see if the parts cross over. if they do I just need to decided what is better on axles. and start ammassing parts. Please feel free to give any advice / comments or whatever on the idea. The Baja kit is 3~4" taller and the front is 6" wider they suggest spacers in the rear. I was thinking of widening the rear and going custom axle. I saw where @BigMeatsBronco was talking about bearing failure on 40's so I decided that has to go to something stronger.

Fire away!!
Sponsored

5GENIDN

Heritage
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Ford Bronco Heritage Limited 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

The Dana 50 on the BRaptor is wider than the Bronco's 44 by about 7 inches.... On first flush it would seem like something that might match up well with a Baja long arm in front. Frame is the same frame so maybe??? it would mount up without too much work???? I personally would prefer that to wheel spacers on the 44. Would cost significantly more but if you could find one off a scraped BRaptor, they have been out long enough I am sure you might be able to source one.

OP
OP
Valhalla

Valhalla

Badlands
First Name
Valhalla
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I believe it is 5" wider if my research is correct so far.

67BroncoG1

Base
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 2D Squatch, '67 Bronco, '24 Grenadier -ordered
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I had thought abought going with the Baja kits suspension system closer to my warranty ending. Then I started contemplating portals. After I discussed portals with people who seemed to know them better than me i went back to the Baja kits. I was wondering after looking over it the other day if I could just use Raptor parts and save some money towards axle upgrades that way. I am going to spend some time researching part cost soon. Hopefully I can get with @vrtical and see if the parts cross over. if they do I just need to decided what is better on axles. and start ammassing parts. Please feel free to give any advice / comments or whatever on the idea. The Baja kit is 3~4" taller and the front is 6" wider they suggest spacers in the rear. I was thinking of widening the rear and going custom axle. I saw where @BigMeatsBronco was talking about bearing failure on 40's so I decided that has to go to something stronger.

Fire away!!
I posted basically the same question and was told that it wouldn't work. That said, I'm not so sure that's entirely true. The front strut mount is different but I'm unclear if that means the UCA mount is different. I suppose that a custom coilover could be made to fit the standard bronco upper strut mount and the Raptor lower control arm. Can't wait to see if you get a different answers.

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/raptor-front-suspension.86941/

GreyZ

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Turbo 350z, Bronco Badlands, Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It really depends on your indended use and troubles you have seen so far. Both of these options are realistically in the same price ball park.

Either option should include upgrading to the 74 weld rack.

Portals will gain you significant ground clearance front and rear. Portals and a 2" lift with shaved bump stops can get you the maximum travel and clearance achievable with stock arms and suspension. This also includes a regear at the portals, meaning your CVs and Axles will only see stock loading. They do increase the loads on the suspension members and axle housing, and realistically need a relativly high offset wheel to keep the width in check. The maintainance is also a little higher with the semi frequent portal fluid changes.

Raptor suspension does not just bolt up I dont believe. I know it is different spring buckets front and rear and different upper control arm mounts. So I don't think this is possible, unless the mount points are the same and it is just beefed up plates.

Baja Kits can be added to a stock bronco, and provides more travel than portals and stock suspension can provide. Baja kits doesn't include a rear axle and would likely need upgrading to a 55 or 60 rear axle. Baja kits needs a regear front and rear, unlike portals. Baja kits needs coilovers front and rear. and you still have way less rear axle and diff clearance than portals.

Going fast in the desert, probably baja kits.

Slow crawling in the rocks, probably portals.

Look cool in parking lots, portals.

Without further info, I do not think the raptor front arms and coilovers swap in.

Sponsored

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I would skip going to a D50 and just get a correct length D60 floater for the rear, then regear the front. The only other change I plan on doing is upgraded front half shafts and going 74weld rack so I know your maybe interested in a 4.0 rack because I would just get a whole unit and not deal with sending mine in.

The front / rear braptor upper tower brackets would be a no go as they are added to the frame, not even sure if those have part #s.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Valhalla

Valhalla

Badlands
First Name
Valhalla
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I would skip going to a D50 and just get a correct length D60 floater for the rear, then regear the front. The only other change I plan on doing is upgraded front half shafts and going 74weld rack so I know your maybe interested in a 4.0 rack because I would just get a whole unit and not deal with sending mine in.

The front / rear braptor upper tower brackets would be a no go as they are added to the frame, not even sure if those have part #s.
Might measure yous one day and fab if it looks doable and costs / benefits are better. This is long term but i'd be interested in buying your 4.0 rack!

ramblinwreck

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
`22 Wildtrak, '21 Wrangler Rubicon 4xe
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
My guess is it will be cheaper and better in the long run if you just trade for a raptor rather than try to piecemeal raptor parts onto your bronco.

This was the same false economy for Jeepers. Buy a sport and try to make it a rubicon. Ends up being more expensive, unwarranted and not working as well. Also resale value is terrible.

Tricky Mike

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

How about custom longer tubular UCA and LCA that fit your frame and a Raptor knuckle? I would say your knuckle, but I presume the Raptor half shafts won't fit your wheel hubs. You could have longer half shafts made that fit, but I'm guessing the whole point is to go bigger anyway.

Then to get the side to side misalignment worked out ditch top hat style coilovers for a traditional spherical bearing end and an adapter to fit the coil buckets.

Johnny Rebel

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2D Big Bend, 2022 Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend

Sponsored

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Fire away!!
On the rear axle I contemplated having a custom camburg 9-in rear axle made with spidertracx full floater ends and 40 spline and it's only a few dollars more than the Dana 60 that I just purchased. The difference is are that the Ford 9-in does not have an electric Locker so then you are stuck with an ARB locker and some sort of doodad Gadget to make the electric switch operate the ARB switch. Alternatively The Dana 60 is available with both the 35 spline electric locker and the coveted 40s spline electric Locker. Additionally the Dana Spicer Bronco rear axle assembly comes with a new track bar. Finally the new Dana 60 ultimate rear axle is available in multiple widths. The standard with the 69 in and the width that I ordered is 73 in they also make some other even longer ones like 76 in. The wider ones are custom and are limited stock I bought the only one in stock at the moment. The Dana is 60 ultimate uses the factory rear brakes, however it uses much larger double roller bearing, two bearings on each side and also a larger axle shaft where it goes through the bearing.

On the Raptor suspension it is possible to use the upper a arm with a spacer. On the lower I believe they will bolt right on. But have not verified either. Since the Bronco Dr uses the upper control arm from the Bronco Raptor I feel it is sufficient for my build and gets away from uniballs which I do not like for longevity reasons.

Last edited:

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

On the Bronco Raptor front suspension, I plan on utilizing the factory Parts as much as possible, however I plan on redrilling and rewelding new inter-mounts on the frame at the a arm attachment points, I plan to move them inward approximately 1.5 in. This will allow a 3-in longer arm to only stick out an inch and a half wider on each side. Keeping the track with within reason while still getting longer suspension parts. More on this later.

Johnny Rebel

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2D Big Bend, 2022 Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Please double check your numbers they don't seem accurate to me
If they're wrong, blame @ChrisB351 😄! My truck was at his shop getting some upgrades, so he measured mine while it was up on the rack and then went outside and measured his. I'd go pull another measurement to verify, but my Raptor's currently at another shop getting a the body repaired, so I won't have it back for a few weeks.

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

On the Bronco Raptor front suspension, I plan on utilizing the factory Parts as much as possible, however I plan on redrilling and rewelding new inter-mounts on the frame at the a arm attachment points, I plan to move them inward approximately 1.5 in. This will allow a 3-in longer arm to only stick out an inch and a half wider on each side. Keeping the track with within reason while still getting longer suspension parts. More on this later.
You probably can reduce that more by junking the factory raptor air hubs in the front.

I am more inclined to do a bracket lift. So far by gripes are center clearance, which another 4" is a lot. This would also help with front and rear approach angles. Really never been hung up on the front or rear diff enough to say I need $20k in portals.

I think a mild width increase from a long travel kit would also be beneficial and help with scrub radius on 38" to 40" tires.

Lets say you build a 2" to 3" front sub frame, upgraded differential mount and custom front spindle to correct bump steer you would have a pretty decent upgrade.
Sponsored