First Name
Norman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Regular around town, Premium when I go out and hit the dunes and trails with my jeep buddies šŸ˜œ
Sponsored

The Bronze

First Edition
First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Suzuki Samurai, 1967 Ford Bronco, 1993 Turbo Notchback, 2006 Sierra K1500, 2013 Sierra K1500, 2014 Sienna Mini-Van
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Octane is literally the thing that prevents engine knock. So Higher Octane = More goodness

Actually you have it backwards. The engine is tuned to use the higher fuel, and the active knock sensors pull power via retard when lower octane is used to avoid detonation

That aside, Those are some sweet ass numbers.
Ford is one of the few manufacturers that will increase ignition timing if it doesnā€™t sense detonation. The Octane Adjustment Ratio Strategy (OAR) uses a variety of inputs and tables to monitor knock short and long term and then increase or decrease ignition timing based on factors such as load, RPM, borderline spark tables and maximum spark tables. You actually get positive and negative spark adjustments, unlike most other makes.

B Wants A Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Nissan Frontier PRO-4X; 2002 BMW 530i
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hp/torque will be the same with top tier or non-top tier, thereā€™s only extra amounts of detergent in top tier. If youā€™re getting the 2.3L, Iā€™d only put top tier in it since there isnā€™t the extra port injection to wash out the valves (2.3L is direct injection only and the 2.7L is direct and port injection). Id think the 2.7L would get by fine without much carbon build up with every other tank being non-top tier. Im getting a 2.7L and plan on putting mostly 87 top tier in it, but occasional 93 Samā€™s club for spirited driving tanks ($2.29 for 87 Samā€™s club, $2.45 for 87 top tier, $2.59 for 93 Samā€™s club, but $3.05 for 93 top tier currently in my area). Samā€™s club is non-top tier just FYI.
Well said! I'm not an expert on gasoline, but my dad did work for Conoco for 20 years (retired in 2002), so I know more than most lol. I do wonder how much Top Tier helps a direct injection only motor though, since I would think very little fuel is making it to the tops of the valves anyway.

Oh well, no matter, I use Top Tier every time in every car, every fill up, maybe not necessary but we all have our quirks lol.

swampgoat

Badlands
First Name
jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 bronco xlt 5 speed manual, 2020 f350 tremor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Im just thrilled it make more horse power then my 95 bronco did with a stock 5 Liter

Bronco Pilot

First Edition
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 BMW M3, 2018 F150, 2018 EA330SC
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
If only it had a 5.0. :-(

This will be my first ecoboost. I hope Iā€™m not disappointed.

Sponsored

Ryuk

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger, 2023 Ford F-150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Ford is one of the few manufacturers that will increase ignition timing if it doesnā€™t sense detonation. The Octane Adjustment Ratio Strategy (OAR) uses a variety of inputs and tables to monitor knock short and long term and then increase or decrease ignition timing based on factors such as load, RPM, borderline spark tables and maximum spark tables. You actually get positive and negative spark adjustments, unlike most other makes.
Interesting. My tuning is limited to GM so I was not aware of this.
Thanks for sharing!

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Unless the EPA has it's way... They've been raiding tune shops that sell defeat emission devices. Just a matter of time until they completely kill tunes.
I call BS. Once the vehicle is sold, it is the owner's responsibility to keep his vehicle within emission spec. In the county where I live there is no emissions inspection requirement. It would be illegal for a Federal Agency to "raid" a "tuning" shop in a State county locale that doesn't require emissions testing.

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Iā€™ve used premium only for 7 years now.
The improved performance aside, Iā€™ve consistently gotten a mile (or more) per gallon more every time I do an 89 to 93 comparison.
So the added cost is almost exactly balanced by my calculation. So the net gain is probably better performance.
Clock every single tank too; not the old guesstimate like every single buddy of mine that drives a solid axle Tacoma that swears they get ā€œ25 or 30 mpgā€ every tank when theyā€™ve never actually calculated it accurately even

(Itā€™s below 19, all you sfa 22re tacoā€™s)

My .02
Of the several cars I own, all but one require high octane fuel. I've never run lower-octane fuel in any of them. But like you, I track every tank of gas MPG. I keep a log book in the car and record every fill. I've done this for every car I've owned for over 30 years.

When one evaluates such data, there are statistical variations in the data based on weather, traffic conditions, state of engine tune, fuel quality, and operator use variations (just to name a few). My daily driver that I use 99% for commuting to my office, which has multiple hundreds of thousands of miles on it, shows well over a 1 MPG deviation between tank fill ups. My data from the car mentioned, which drives a consistent route and is fueled at the same fuel pump at either one of just two gas stations (a Shell or an Exxon). So as real-world test data is low in variable of inconsistency. I would think it would take many tanks of each fuel to see any correlation between fuel grade and MPG delta. Lab testing is really the only true way to discern a correlation in my opinion. Logic and laws of chemistry would dictate that higher engine power output comes at the cost of higher fuel consumption for the same engine. Computer controlled forced induction probably helps somewhat, but I'm of the opinion, higher octane is not going to improve horsepower output and improve fuel consumption.

It's an interesting question for sure.

Gamecock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands / Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hey, I said I had no problem whatsoever with tuning to increase power. But I draw a hard line when your tune increases emissions. America is a free country, but you have absolutely no right to harm the health of your fellow citizens.
One of the most ridiculous things Iā€™ve read on here. That or the post claiming someone elseā€™s daughterā€™s asthma is affected by someone adding a tune...anyway, the net result of every tune thatā€™s ever been done in the history of the US has ZERO effect on anyoneā€™s health. None. So small an effect that itā€™s not measurable in any way whatsoever.

Frank N

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

330HP/415TQ....that's cute. lol

Sponsored

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Not necessarily, there are good companies that know how to tune engines and still stay within the bounds of what the various emissions controls want. There are also a lot of companies that just crank up the boost, adjust the fuel maps to match and then turn off the rear O2 sensor and call it done. The second category are the ones that EPA is after.

Also, wonder if these are crank numbers, or wheel numbers. (probably crank) Because crank numbers are useless, it's a bit like measuring one's dick from behind the balls. Sure, it's there, but you ain't using it. :-D
It's at the crankshaft per SAE test specs.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

This must be nice. Here in California, we get 3 choices... 87, 89, 91

Good news is that Costco's 91 is typically cheaper than others 89. So I do Premium by default and save the 87 for the long road trips.
Sponsored