First Name
Erin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
We bought last week, and within less than 30 miles the check engine light was on, with the wastegate error. Have taken it in to both local dealerships, and yesterday the replacement turbo was ordered. The service department told me, per Ford it’s okay to drive, but now I’m seeing must of y’all aren’t able to drive them while waiting for the turbo?
Sponsored

Bronco21fan

Black Diamond
First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco black diamond 2 door Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Sounds like it is a issue for bad turbos with the 2.3l waste gate hopefully they get all these bugs ironed out soon

OP
OP

Beetuff33

Outer Banks
First Name
Erin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Yeah I know it’s the same issue, but continuing to drive it is my concern.

VVSidewinderVv

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GMC Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I personally wouldn't drive it. A quick explanation in case you don't know how a turbo works. The turbo is made up of two sides: the compressor (cold) side and the turbine (hot) side. The compressor side compresses the air going into the engine. The turbine side is driven by exhaust pressure. The two side are directly connected by a shaft meaning the turbine spins the compressor. It's all load based so lugging the engine, driving up a hill, or accelerating hard will generate more exhaust pressure spinning the turbine and in turn the compressor faster to generate boost.

There are two components that regulate pressure on a turbocharger. The blow off/bypass valve and the wastegate. The blow off bleeds off pressure on the compressor side when engine load is reduced (letting off the gas) and the wastegate bleeds off pressure on the exhaust side to control how fast the turbine and compressor spin. For example if the ECM wants to target 18 psi max and the engine is under a high load the wastegate will bleed off excess exhaust pressure into the exhaust pipe bypassing the turbine to make sure it doesn't boost higher than that target.

If the wastegate isn't working correctly two things can happen. If it is stuck open the compressor side will generate little, if any, boost and your ecm may trigger limp mode because it isnt hitting boost targets. It won't destroy your engine, but will cause it to run rich which could foul up spark plugs and dirty up your cylinder heads. If it is stuck closed the compressor will keep generating boost as long as there is engine load. This could potentially cause your engine to lean out because your generating more boost than the target number and the ECM might not provide enough fuel to compensate for the added boost. That could be catastrophic for your engine.

I don't know what specifically your techs are seeing with your wastegate. I would ask why they believe it's safe to drive. And then I'd probably still be hesitant to drive it.

BadBradBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
We bought last week, and within less than 30 miles the check engine light was on, with the wastegate error. Have taken it in to both local dealerships, and yesterday the replacement turbo was ordered. The service department told me, per Ford it’s okay to drive, but now I’m seeing must of y’all aren’t able to drive them while waiting for the turbo?

Exact same thing happened to us except ours happened less than 5 miles from the dealership after we purchased it on Friday the 22nd. They were able to get a new turbo charger on Monday but now they are waiting on some gaskets that are not supposed to arrive until the end of May! I am absolutely furious, I truly believe Ford knew of these problems and sent them out anyway.

Sponsored

Robbie_S

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco OB Cactus Gray
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
They must be getting their turbos from the same factory as Toyota cause the new 22 Tundras are plagued with wastegate issues at very low miles. Hopefully this isn't a widespread problem for the Broncos.

BroncoScott

Outer Banks
First Name
Duston
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Outer Banks Wrapped Lifted Shoes
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I personally wouldn't drive it. A quick explanation in case you don't know how a turbo works. The turbo is made up of two sides: the compressor (cold) side and the turbine (hot) side. The compressor side compresses the air going into the engine. The turbine side is driven by exhaust pressure. The two side are directly connected by a shaft meaning the turbine spins the compressor. It's all load based so lugging the engine, driving up a hill, or accelerating hard will generate more exhaust pressure spinning the turbine and in turn the compressor faster to generate boost.

There are two components that regulate pressure on a turbocharger. The blow off/bypass valve and the wastegate. The blow off bleeds off pressure on the compressor side when engine load is reduced (letting off the gas) and the wastegate bleeds off pressure on the exhaust side to control how fast the turbine and compressor spin. For example if the ECM wants to target 18 psi max and the engine is under a high load the wastegate will bleed off excess exhaust pressure into the exhaust pipe bypassing the turbine to make sure it doesn't boost higher than that target.

If the wastegate isn't working correctly two things can happen. If it is stuck open the compressor side will generate little, if any, boost and your ecm may trigger limp mode because it isnt hitting boost targets. It won't destroy your engine, but will cause it to run rich which could foul up spark plugs and dirty up your cylinder heads. If it is stuck closed the compressor will keep generating boost as long as there is engine load. This could potentially cause your engine to lean out because your generating more boost than the target number and the ECM might not provide enough fuel to compensate for the added boost. That could be catastrophic for your engine.

I don't know what specifically your techs are seeing with your wastegate. I would ask why they believe it's safe to drive. And then I'd probably still be hesitant to drive it.

Seriously, that was very informative.

VVSidewinderVv

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GMC Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Seriously, that was very informative.
Lol. Thanks. I tried to keep it simple. There is obviously more to the whole system that I left out. Just stuff I learned from working on my Subaru WRX STI.

RedDawg

Big Bend
First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chrysler
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

My alert popped up 20 miles from the dealer. I drove very conservatively home, avoiding engaging the turbo.
Got home parked it, and made an appointment with my dealer.
The alert came on and off over the course of the 3 days until my appointment. It was off when brought it in.
The dealer said 🍺 “no alerts or codes, if the light comes back on, bring her in. “
400 miles and no more alerts/lights, so far.
Might just be an electronic glitch with the sensor or solenoid. My turbo seems to working correctly 🤷🏻‍♂️

RubiconSasquatch

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BadSquatch, 2021 JLUR, 2008 JK-X, 65 Elco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My wife’s ‘21 AMG GLE53 also had this issue. On hers, Mercedes didn’t replace the whole turbo, just the wastegate. Twice. But I’m not entirely sure it was ever a real issue. I think it was just a bad sensor. The car never stopped performing to the fullest and never exhibited any signs of trouble beyond the error messages

IMO, if it’s under warranty and they tell you to keep driving it, get that in writing then go right ahead. If they were wrong, it will be their issue to deal with.

Sponsored

monsterfd

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 raptor widebody 37s, 2018 raptor 2018 JKU 35s
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

My wife’s ‘21 AMG GLE53 also had this issue. On hers, Mercedes didn’t replace the whole turbo, just the wastegate. Twice. But I’m not entirely sure it was ever a real issue. I think it was just a bad sensor. The car never stopped performing to the fullest and never exhibited any signs of trouble beyond the error messages

IMO, if it’s under warranty and they tell you to keep driving it, get that in writing then go right ahead. If they were wrong, it will be their issue to deal with.
just try not to get stranded

VVSidewinderVv

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GMC Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
They must be getting their turbos from the same factory as Toyota cause the new 22 Tundras are plagued with wastegate issues at very low miles. Hopefully this isn't a widespread problem for the Broncos.
I looked this up before. It's a difficult find. But the Tundra turbos are made by IHI. VW and Audi use them on their 2.0T.

The 2.3 uses a twin scroll Honeywell turbo. At least they did on the Mustang. Not totally sure about the 2.7. But it'll be Garrett, Borg Warner, or Honeywell.

navi

Base
First Name
Navi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
73 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
The 2.3 uses a twin scroll Honeywell turbo. At least they did on the Mustang. Not totally sure about the 2.7. But it'll be Garrett, Borg Warner, or Honeywell.
Made in China !

tjksmitty

Big Bend
First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Traverse
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Same issue with mine on the bronco I picked up yesterday.. had 50 miles on it when I got it, then the issues occured on my 60 mile journey home. The bronco was then put on a wrecker and sent back to the dealership... informed today it in fact needs a new turbo, which has been ordered and now I await an ETA...

Fuzion2Bronco

Base
First Name
Asher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Base Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I got the Check Engine light today morning at 1386 miles on odo and drove for 160 miles to come back home and I still have the light. Will call the Dealer tomorrow to get it checked.

90% was the highway driving and a very few times I had to use turbo to merge and overtake and was on cruise all the time when on highway, the car performed very well. Not sure what would be the outcome hope it is nothing or its the same as everyone is facing.

PXL_20220430_183147522.jpg
Sponsored