First Name
Jorge Bravo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just wanted to post my experience. Hopefully someone has some answers or a good advice. Second day I drove my bronco from town Ford in Redwood City, check engine light came on. Took it back they told me I had a bad turbo needed to get changed. A week later they told me they had the new turbo but for some reason they kept me in the dark the whole time. The day I picked it up the mechanic told me all I needed was a new clamp on hose. But they went ahead and changed out the whole turbo. Originally I wasn’t getting enough turbo boost I wasn’t getting any at all.So I guess my question is how much turbo should I be getting at what Reves. What is the max boost I should be getting. The most I’ve ever gotten was 18 psi going up a steep hill. I have a 2.3 L manual transmission two door Badlands. Non Sasquatch

DB91C370-B45B-48D1-84EF-4C0AC2C6F1C5.jpeg
Sponsored

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
18 psi is ALOT for a stock vehicle. Thats probably the max w/stock programming. Guys who race turbos get more, but it takes mods/upgrades and race fuel. I would say it working if you can hit 18lbs

DefNotBuddyLee

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang / Jeep / F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Hope you get some good data. Unfortunately I have an auto 2.7 so my numbers would be of no help.
What has you thinking there is still an issue? Is it driving more sluggish than before you threw a code or just have the jitters after the repair?
Any misfires?
Do you know if they checked the MAP when diagnosing your turbo issue or just replaced the turbo and called it a day (which as you hinted is weird if just a bad clamp)?

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Raptor, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
lol. You had a loose hose and they replaced the entire turbo?

Sponsored

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Raptor, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
turbo has a hot side and cold side hoses that under boost will come off. Just reconnect and that is it. I would never allow them to replace the turbo unless the turbo is really the issue.

Probably a bad gas cap...it happens. :D

OP
OP
Bayard

Bayard

Badlands
First Name
Jorge Bravo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hope you get some good data. Unfortunately I have an auto 2.7 so my numbers would be of no help.
What has you thinking there is still an issue? Is it driving more sluggish than before you threw a code or just have the jitters after the repair?
Any misfires?
Do you know if they checked the MAP when diagnosing your turbo issue or just replaced the turbo and called it a day (which as you hinted is weird if just a bad clamp)?
I believe they only changed out the hose and clamp. They probably never touched the turbo. It drives great I just want to make sure my bronco is okay. Seems good for now.

Sponsored

Bmisk19

Badlands
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury Grand Marquis
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just wanted to post my experience. Hopefully someone has some answers or a good advice. Second day I drove my bronco from town Ford in Redwood City, check engine light came on. Took it back they told me I had a bad turbo needed to get changed. A week later they told me they had the new turbo but for some reason they kept me in the dark the whole time. The day I picked it up the mechanic told me all I needed was a new clamp on hose. But they went ahead and changed out the whole turbo. Originally I wasn’t getting enough turbo boost I wasn’t getting any at all.So I guess my question is how much turbo should I be getting at what Reves. What is the max boost I should be getting. The most I’ve ever gotten was 18 psi going up a steep hill. I have a 2.3 L manual transmission two door Badlands. Non Sasquatch

Ford Bronco 2.3L turbo boost issues 1646500654256
Same exact issue I had, and coincidentally actually i have the same exact Bronco! 2.3L Manual EG 2-door Badlands non-sasquatch, standard wheels.

Happened to me at 50 miles, dealer replaced the entire turbo. Mine seems okay now.

L8apex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'14 Focus ST, '21 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I believe they only changed out the hose and clamp. They probably never touched the turbo. It drives great I just want to make sure my bronco is okay. Seems good for now.
If you weren't building ANY boost, you'd have a massive air leak either on the intake or exhaust side - which you would have heard.

This seems more like the bad wastegate issue others have seen, which definitely would require a turbo replacement as I believe they are integrated.

Ford Bronco 2.3L turbo boost issues 1648564862962

HBTFD

Black Diamond
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Normal driving I don’t see over 10 psi, mostly 0-5 psi. If you feel the acceleration isn’t bogging your turbo is working.

Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
18 psi is ALOT for a stock vehicle. Thats probably the max w/stock programming. Guys who race turbos get more, but it takes mods/upgrades and race fuel.
Maybe 20 years ago. 18-20psi is normal for EcoBoosts. They can easily push over 20psi with just a simple tune, no "mods/upgrades" or "race fuel" required.

heavyD

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 BMW X3M Competition
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
If you were getting no boost and it was a matter of a hose not being properly connected I can only assume it was the control air supply hose to the wastegate. Strange they would initially diagnose as needing a new turbo as the first place I would look if I was getting no boost is the wastegate.
Sponsored