Broncomike11

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
As the title mentions, I've had my Bronco for about a year and a half and I am finally looking to make my first upgrade (I'll withstand the jokes that come my way for waiting this long...). I'm looking to upgrade the stock tires (OBX; non-sas) to 35" ahead of the winter. I have been looking through a number of older posts on the site on best ways to do this, but with this being my first upgrade I wanted to see if those here might be able to steer me in the right direction in the case I'm making a mistake.

From what I've read, the best options to do this would involve the following:
  • Remove front crash bars in order to fit the 35" wheels. I'm overly cautious by nature so would likely replace them with the shorter crash bars included in the 4wp big tire set: https://www.4wheelparts.com/p/4-wheel-parts-big-tire-kit-62213/_/R-4WPBR-62213
  • Purchase the larger tires (debating between 315/70/17 or 305/70/18)
  • Potentially get the Ford performance tune-up kit to better handle the larger tires (my Bronco is only 2.3L)
  • Withhold on a leveling/lift kit - seems it is unnecessary if I'm not looking to do any major off-roading activity

As mentioned above, I'm seeking the advice of those on this site who have a lot of history/familiarity with this process, to steer me in the right direction or provide advice if I am overlooking anything critical.

Any help would be significantly appreciated!
Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

One tire size you listed was a 17".
Are you getting new wheels, as the OBX uses 18" wheels.
What gear ratio does your OBX have?

I mounted 35 x 11.5 -17 Toyos on my 2.3 Base, manual , 4.46 gears. I chose the +35mm offset version of the Method 703 .... I hate lots of poke.
I removed the crash bars, did not replace them.
https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...no-lift-method-703s-toyo-35-x-11-5-17s.32232/

I have 15k miles on them now, no fitment issues on the street. I've maybe had them rub once or twice ... minor rub. Offroad, don't know, never really had to flex them as my "offroad" is mostly trails, I live in the flatlands.

For the manual, the 35's are a bit too tall, but still daily drivable. The auto will give you an advantage, but if you have the 3.73 gear set, I'd be very hesitant to go all the way to a 35.
My Toyos suck ass, but it seems almost everyone else in the world got a good set. This set sucks in wet, snow, cold and , God forbid ... ice.
Toyo .... They are literally dangerous and will be replaced this fall, one way or another.

For sure, for me the next set on this rig will be no taller than 33's, just because of the gearing and manual.

I'm really tempted to run them on my 4.46 auto Badlands, just to see how it handles them (and wear them out), but I want to break it in a bit more, only 4k miles at the moment.

If you are getting 17" wheels, I'd take a long hard look at Mickey Thompon's Baja Boss AT 255/85-17 ...... a 35" tire , but the Load Range is E, I believe. (35 x 10 -17)
Their new AT's are getting really good reviews for winter driving.
I may try their 285/70-17 (33") in (SL) standard load range for my Base. SL should give me a nice soft ride, should grip well as well.

The Base is my daughters daily driver, so being the overprotective Dad I am, I absolutely must get her safer tires. Fuck Toyo.
They've done nothing for me to help replace them. NOTHING.

Khakiman

Big Bend
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I’m running the Mickey’s 285/70/17 on my Big Bend with the 2.3 and 3.73 gears and I think that is the biggest I would go. They ride great and have gotten great reviews, my BFG KO2’s that I had on my Tacoma were not great in the rain so that’s the reason I chose the Mickey’s.

Ford Bronco Newbie Question for Tire Upgrade on Non-Sas Bronco IMG_1915
Ford Bronco Newbie Question for Tire Upgrade on Non-Sas Bronco IMG_1922
Ford Bronco Newbie Question for Tire Upgrade on Non-Sas Bronco IMG_1909

Golfsnob

Base
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Base 2 Door, Manual, 2.3
Your Bronco Model
Base
Running 315 KO2's on my 23 base, 7 speed. I had 33's on it previously but wanted a little more tire after I installed the Badlands suspension. The difference between the 33's and 315's were negligible.
Ford Bronco Newbie Question for Tire Upgrade on Non-Sas Bronco IMG_3702.PNG

Justinfro

Black Diamond
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner, Cayman S (987.2), 911sc
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I'm running 35x11.5r17 (measures about 34" when mounted) on +30 RTR EVO 6 wheels. Crash bars are still in place.

*Same tires also worked when I had them on the BD steelies.

Ford Bronco Newbie Question for Tire Upgrade on Non-Sas Bronco 01

Ford Bronco Newbie Question for Tire Upgrade on Non-Sas Bronco 02

Sponsored

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
One tire size you listed was a 17".
Are you getting new wheels, as the OBX uses 18" wheels.
What gear ratio does your OBX have?

I mounted 35 x 11.5 -17 Toyos on my 2.3 Base, manual , 4.46 gears. I chose the +35mm offset version of the Method 703 .... I hate lots of poke.
I removed the crash bars, did not replace them.
https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...no-lift-method-703s-toyo-35-x-11-5-17s.32232/

I have 15k miles on them now, no fitment issues on the street. I've maybe had them rub once or twice ... minor rub. Offroad, don't know, never really had to flex them as my "offroad" is mostly trails, I live in the flatlands.

For the manual, the 35's are a bit too tall, but still daily drivable. The auto will give you an advantage, but if you have the 3.73 gear set, I'd be very hesitant to go all the way to a 35.
My Toyos suck ass, but it seems almost everyone else in the world got a good set. This set sucks in wet, snow, cold and , God forbid ... ice.
Toyo .... They are literally dangerous and will be replaced this fall, one way or another.

For sure, for me the next set on this rig will be no taller than 33's, just because of the gearing and manual.

I'm really tempted to run them on my 4.46 auto Badlands, just to see how it handles them (and wear them out), but I want to break it in a bit more, only 4k miles at the moment.

If you are getting 17" wheels, I'd take a long hard look at Mickey Thompon's Baja Boss AT 255/85-17 ...... a 35" tire , but the Load Range is E, I believe. (35 x 10 -17)
Their new AT's are getting really good reviews for winter driving.
I may try their 285/70-17 (33") in (SL) standard load range for my Base. SL should give me a nice soft ride, should grip well as well.

The Base is my daughters daily driver, so being the overprotective Dad I am, I absolutely must get her safer tires. Fuck Toyo.
They've done nothing for me to help replace them. NOTHING.
I put 35" Territories (got a deal on take offs) on my 2-door base manual Bronco and so far they are great. Better than the 30" stock tires, the first gear was too short for those tires. I do find on the highway 6th gear isn't as useful as before, but otherwise the 35s transformed the vehicle.

And the Territories on pavement are much quieter than the rumbling mud tires some folks have in my area. You got to wonder what they are thinking buying MTs for pavement.

The Territories though are significantly lighter than your Toyo's I think? And I'm running 26lb +42mm Ranger Tremor wheels. Some folks running heavy Sas wheels and heavy tires might get a different performance feel. Can't speak to off-roading yet with the 35s, have only been driving the Bronco for a month.

Last edited:

RADRide

Big Bend
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I’m running the Mickey’s 285/70/17 on my Big Bend with the 2.3 and 3.73 gears and I think that is the biggest I would go. They ride great and have gotten great reviews, my BFG KO2’s that I had on my Tacoma were not great in the rain so that’s the reason I chose the Mickey’s.

Looks awesome @Khakiman, are you keeping the rims? Im contemplating upgrading just my tires on my Big Bend or ties and adding Black Diamond Steelies.

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I put 35" Territories (got a deal on take offs) on my 2-door base manual Bronco and so far they are great. Better than the 30" stock tires, the first gear was too tall for those tires. I do find on the highway 6th gear isn't as useful as before, but otherwise the 35s transformed the vehicle.

And the Territories on pavement are much quieter than the rumbling mud tires some folks have in my area. You got to wonder what they are thinking buying MTs for pavement.

The Territories though are significantly lighter than your Toyo's I think? And I'm running 26lb +42mm Ranger Tremor wheels. Some folks running heavy Sas wheels and heavy tires might get a different performance feel. Can't speak to off-roading yet with the 35s, have only been driving the Bronco for a month.
Would love to see a picture of your tire/wheel setup.

spittle8

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Focus
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend

What kind of MPG change did you see going from the stock 32's? I was looking at those tires for my Big Bend which I anticipate arriving in February.
Sponsored