Sponsored

Not gonna lie...starting to get cold feet.

aplm7

Wildtrak
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Wildtrak 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Just bought a 2021 4Runner Off Road.

They don't exactly compare. You'd have to go to Lux to get some of the options in the ORP but the 4Runner doesn't have all those options either.

The KDSS is more than the BD offers but the front locker on the BL is more than the 4Runner offers.

So not exactly apples to apples. I've been going through all the options and no matter what a closely matched Bronco will cost more than what we paid for the 4Runner. It is close and I certainly wouldn't call one a bargain over the other.
I'm just trying to dispell the myths (which were probably once true) that Toyota uses ancient tech, lacks amenities and is more expensive for it. Those who don't need a removable roof and doors, still have opportunities to look elsewhere and even save money.

Compared to Bronco, Toyota 4runners tech is very acceptable, and like you said, the price is less. To me that came as a shock because everyone always says Toyota charges a premium for old technology. Not really the case here.
Sponsored

lrtexasman

Black Diamond
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BL traded for 23 Tundra waiting on BD Order
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I'm just trying to dispell the myths (which were probably once true) that Toyota uses ancient tech, lacks amenities and is more expensive for it. Those who don't need a removable roof and doors, still have opportunities to look elsewhere and even save money.

Compared to Bronco, Toyota 4runners tech is very acceptable, and like you said, the price is less. To me that came as a shock because everyone always says Toyota charges a premium for old technology. Not really the case here.
it’s an archaic platform. The 4.0 V6 with 270 HP and 278 ft/torque paired with the 5 speed transmission is a complete dog compared to Fords 2.7 (310 hp/400 ft/tq ) paired with a 10 speed. The Apple car play and TSS doesn’t change the fact the motor, trans, frame, body, suspension, and interior have changed minimally since 2010. Solid BOF SUV that is very reliable but underpowered and thirsty. I’d take a Bronco Big Bend with auto, 2.7, hard top, and tow package for roughly 40k any day over a 4RUNNER TRD.

Last edited:

siddious33

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee; 2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I backed out. Decided to wait a few years and see what happens. Don’t love my options for the first model year and I got tired of Ford repeatedly taking more and more away. The lack of hard top options finally did it for me. That MIC top not matching the other black trim on the truck looks completely preproduction and I’m not willing to gamble it will be better when it comes out.

I went a completely different route. Bought a 2017 Jaguar F Type R. I’ll kit out our Grand Cherokee to be my overlander for now. Still love the Bronco and hope to get one in a few years when all these issues are sorted out.

Anyway, here is Miss Moneypenny, the new ride.

Ford Bronco Not gonna lie...starting to get cold feet. 1606094361922

Heffe66413

Outer Banks
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I predict a lot of angry Granger/Stephens reservation holders next year when they find out that those dealers aren't getting enough allocation.
I think your full of crap- ford wants happy customers- happy dealers come second.

lrtexasman

Black Diamond
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BL traded for 23 Tundra waiting on BD Order
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
If that’s the case, My guess is a Ford will give customer the option to move reservation to a dealer that has allocations available.

Sponsored
First Name
BBQGlazeSeabass
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I backed out. Decided to wait a few years and see what happens. Don’t love my options for the first model year and I got tired of Ford repeatedly taking more and more away. The lack of hard top options finally did it for me. That MIC top not matching the other black trim on the truck looks completely preproduction and I’m not willing to gamble it will be better when it comes out.

I went a completely different route. Bought a 2017 Jaguar F Type R. I’ll kit out our Grand Cherokee to be my overlander for now. Still love the Bronco and hope to get one in a few years when all these issues are sorted out.

Anyway, here is Miss Moneypenny, the new ride.

Ford Bronco Not gonna lie...starting to get cold feet. 1606094361922
I did the same, definitely a future pick. I went with a 2019 Ford F-150 King Ranch
Ford Bronco Not gonna lie...starting to get cold feet. D572AF6A-6E83-48A7-8F8C-D422C735B033

Bronco_Buckeroo

Wildtrak
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Moved me to MY22 = price increase
Eliminate X-Plan = price increase

My guess is options will come in on the high side. A post was made last week that Ford felt they could squeeze more profit given the volume of reservations and positive reviews. This seems consistent with that post.
I’m MY22 as well. Have you seen any pricing for MY22 vehicles or indications that we’ll be paying more? Or just guessing?

edgeflyer

Banned
Wildtrak
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Toyota cars are no doubt better engineered and built than Ford's, but their trucks have and have had easily as many issues over the years as any American brand. I have never seen a Toyota go any further than any other brand in the last 25 years. American cars can easily go 3-500,000+ miles on original motors, transmissions and diffs. If you dig into it, Toyota has more safety related issues than any other manufacturer going back to the 90's. American cars have more "gremlins along the way" though. Pick your poison.

edgeflyer

Banned
Wildtrak
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Also, I'm not sure there has been another vehicle that has ever has so many abusive miles put on it for pre production as this one. I feel 100% confident that it will have some issues, bit I also feel 100% confident that they will be great trucks.

Trustable

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Focus se
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Toyota cars are no doubt better engineered and built than Ford's, but their trucks have and have had easily as many issues over the years as any American brand. I have never seen a Toyota go any further than any other brand in the last 25 years. American cars can easily go 3-500,000+ miles on original motors, transmissions and diffs. If you dig into it, Toyota has more safety related issues than any other manufacturer going back to the 90's. American cars have more "gremlins along the way" though. Pick your poison.
I believe the thing about Toyotas is that the owners typically pay more for them compared to domestic brands for roughly the same options or sometimes less (sometimes more). The difference is that they take better care of their vehicles than domestic buyers tend too. I am trying to find the study I read a few years ago that I can link to, but I cant find it, looked for 10 minutes. Basically compared income rates to car brands, and took into account amount of miles and maintenance. Higher incomes typically bought foreign while middle class typically got domestic. In short, they both had recalls and issues, but more of the people who bought the toyotas preformed more regular scheduled maintenance, compared to the owners of domestic. I truly believe that is where the myth of toyotas being some reliable magic vehicle came from. They may have been more reliable 20 years or so ago, but pretty much every vehicle is on an even playing field now-a-days. I am not insinuating that domestic car owners don't take care of their cars. In fact, I have nothing against Toyota, but find them to be boring. They don't really bring anything innovative or new to the table, and IMO the designs are just bleh. I think that most vehicles will preform similar over the long term, but what really matters is how people preform preventative maintenance.

Sponsored

edgeflyer

Banned
Wildtrak
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I believe the thing about Toyotas is that the owners typically pay more for them compared to domestic brands for roughly the same options or sometimes less (sometimes more). The difference is that they take better care of their vehicles than domestic buyers tend too. I am trying to find the study I read a few years ago that I can link to, but I cant find it, looked for 10 minutes. Basically compared income rates to car brands, and took into account amount of miles and maintenance. In short, they both had recalls and issues, but more of the people who bought the toyotas preformed more regular scheduled maintenance, compared to the owners of domestic. I truly believe that is where the myth of toyotas being some reliable magic vehicle came from. I am not insinuating that domestic car owners don't take care of their cars. In fact, I have nothing against Toyota, but find them to be boring. They don't really bring anything innovative or new to the table, and IMO the designs are just bleh. I think that most vehicles will preform similar over the long term, but what really matters is how people preform preventative maintenance.
I absolutely believe this too, but reliability can also be tied to why people think they are boring. Low power output. Limit power and everything lasts longer. After 25 years working on cars, it is no doubt most Japanese car owner take more pride in their cars than American car owners.

Trustable

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Focus se
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I absolutely believe this too, but reliability can also be tied to why people think they are boring. Low power output. Limit power and everything lasts longer. After 25 years working on cars, it is no doubt most Japanese car owner take more pride in their cars than American car owners.
Yeah completely agree with you there. Engines that are not stressed and just using components and designs that have been proven to work without problem for many years are a recipe for success. A great example of something like this is the 4 runner with a 5 speed auto. When i looked into that transmissions a couple months ago when i was comparing it to the bronco, it seemed like a perfectly fine transmission, but its a 5 speed auto transmission in 2020. Toyota has their niche and they are sticking to it, and nothing is wrong with that.

dcg2

Badlands
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CR-V
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think your full of crap- ford wants happy customers- happy dealers come second.
Yeah I'll be crying all the way on the drive home after paying $3500 less than MSRP.

Aboen

Wildtrak
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wildtrak (BMW M2)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Still excited - but gonna wait until I can spec out available options.

jaekim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'05 ZHP
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I was never in position to buy a new Bronco. It works great for me while I save, the kinks and the overall buying experience should be smoothed out by 2022 and also the all new 4Runner should be announced by then.
Sponsored