Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I don't want to be a Debbie-downer here, but since the Badlands come stock with the MIC can you even change that to a soft top? IDK, but that would surely help in your decision to change just knowing the answer to that. Anyways, good luck on that decision.
Sponsored

xcxv

Heritage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
since you asked to be convinced…

Ford Bronco Convince me not to get the soft top?? 5F1EAB89-F5D5-4189-9B54-E7E0C11CB181
Ford Bronco Convince me not to get the soft top?? AF8CED3C-381F-4F1F-8607-C30EACD01FF7

Ford Bronco Convince me not to get the soft top?? 43F5D5B3-C231-4B0C-B8CF-B9D45504EFFF

khatch

Wildtrak
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I figured now was as good a time as any to try out the soft top. So I switched. This is likely a very long term vehicle for me so my plan B is to add a hard top if I don't like it for some reason. But I like the ability to put it down easily and pull it back up easily vs. the inconvencience of removing the hard top and leave it at home.

RubyRedGT

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco. Sold the 1968 and 2015 mustang GTs
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

For what it's worth, I ordered mine with MIC but it was only a slight preference. I daily drove a Jeep TJ for many years with soft top and loved the flexibility. Anyway, I changed my order in mid-May to the soft top and on 5/27 I got a build date for the week of July 19. But I live in a pretty low-crime area, park in our garage, and have old alternate SUV to part places (e.g., airport, etc) if desired.

Last edited:

BFizzy

Big Bend
First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GTI
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Pros:
- easier and faster to open and close
- easier storage
- lighter weight
- cheaper
- in-stock

Cons:
- less secure
- possibly louder road noise (Bestop claims it’s a negligible difference),
-possibly less insulated (Bestop clams it’s a negligible difference)

Sponsored

Lilj4425

Badlands
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I don't want to be a Debbie-downer here, but since the Badlands come stock with the MIC can you even change that to a soft top? IDK, but that would surely help in your decision to change just knowing the answer to that. Anyways, good luck on that decision.
If it’s the four door version, you can. I’m getting the four door Badlands with soft top.

Bert20000

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

To be honest I never even really considered the soft top before as the MIC was just standard with my trim: Badlands, 2.7L, Sas, Lux, Towing capability. 7/28/20 Reservation, no build date yet :(. With the continued delays and looking into it, I'm fairly certain I'm going to switch my build I just don't want to overlook anything., hence coming here.

As I see it going with the soft top will more than likely improve my chances of getting a 21' Bronco and fits better with my lifestyle. I live in FL, so I want maximum flexibility in terms of ease of removal of doors and top. I live by myself in a high rise apartment in the city, and after watching the video for the removal of the hard top 1) it doesn't seem possible as a solo job 2) I really don't have an easy way to store the back panels. So while I dream of driving this Bronco with the doors and roof off in reality with the hard top I'm guessing the back portion would more or less always be only unless I wanted to joy ride with a friend. Weather doesn't get cold here so I don't need the insulation. I figure I'll pick up more road noise, and am basically signing myself up for not having the option of having a hard top till say end of 23', but back to previous points it seems more limiting. I've never owned a Jeep/off-road vehicle before so just wondering what I may be overlooking?

Thanks in advance,
Jim

Soft Top Removal:

Hard Top Removal:
Nobody can really give you an answer. Ford won't or can't tell us when the MIC situation will improve enough. We don't even know how many they can make in MY21 yet alone MY22. Sounds like you want to switch to speed up your delivery, but really want a MIC. Your question to Ford should be how much time earlier you'd get your Bronco if you switch tops or are you just giving your MIC to some else.

I am a late reservation/order and I am making the switch, else I feel I would be 4QTR MY22. I may switch back if Webasto gets going.

MyATV

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Ford Bronco Convince me not to get the soft top?? 1624908109942

EvlNvrDys

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'84 Bronco, '93 Bronco, '94 Bronco, 2012 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

To be honest I never even really considered the soft top before as the MIC was just standard with my trim: Badlands, 2.7L, Sas, Lux, Towing capability. 7/28/20 Reservation, no build date yet :(. With the continued delays and looking into it, I'm fairly certain I'm going to switch my build I just don't want to overlook anything., hence coming here.

As I see it going with the soft top will more than likely improve my chances of getting a 21' Bronco and fits better with my lifestyle. I live in FL, so I want maximum flexibility in terms of ease of removal of doors and top. I live by myself in a high rise apartment in the city, and after watching the video for the removal of the hard top 1) it doesn't seem possible as a solo job 2) I really don't have an easy way to store the back panels. So while I dream of driving this Bronco with the doors and roof off in reality with the hard top I'm guessing the back portion would more or less always be only unless I wanted to joy ride with a friend. Weather doesn't get cold here so I don't need the insulation. I figure I'll pick up more road noise, and am basically signing myself up for not having the option of having a hard top till say end of 23', but back to previous points it seems more limiting. I've never owned a Jeep/off-road vehicle before so just wondering what I may be overlooking?

Edit: "Convince" might have been a poor word choice, mea culpa. I'm just trying to understand why there is so much hate for soft tops, especially if you can get a hard top down the road.

Thanks in advance,
Jim
You should ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY get the soft top!!

The more people who switch to soft top means the more likely I'll get my hard top.

Thanks 😁

The Dmv

Base
First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2d Base
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I generally shy away from purchasing butt-ugly things. Recommend you do the same.

Sponsored

F OR D

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD Green Machine
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

It's tough, I feel like dual is the right answer, soft is the impatient one but will work for some. It's fantastic until it's not

1. You pass the winter requirement so that's good.
  2. Is this your primary/only vehicle? If you encounter top issues do you have alternate options?
  3. Do you have a garage or covered area? Assume yes but also see #6.
  4. Do you trust the soft will hold up for 1-2y. Chances are the MIC is a year out or more (for general purchase) and it may be difficult to get another soft. You could be stuck without a top.
  5. Cost is not a concern. We have no verification of cost of MIC including freight. MIC may be 3-4K.
  6. Is security a concern in the area or at night?
  7. Do you need to be able to take calls without disruption/noise?

BennyBronco69

Badlands
First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BWM M4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Edit: "Convince" might have been a poor word choice, mea culpa. I'm just trying to understand why there is so much hate for soft tops, especially if you can get a hard top down the road.

Thanks in advance,
Jim

Soft Top Removal:

Hard Top Removal:
I have the opposite feeling. I also live in FL. Not willing to deal with the heat w/ a soft top. When its too hot (or raining) which we both know is often, I dont want a soft top.

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

IMO, get the soft top. You have nowhere to store the hardtop rear cap, and don’t deal with much cold.
This sums it up efficiently and makes the most logical sense.
If you go hard top you will be wishing you had a soft top to run completely open-air.

Reactions: R11

dominicenoa

Badlands
First Name
Dominic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks in advance,
Jim

Soft Top Removal:

Hard Top Removal:
I'm confused. Are you a 2-door build? The 4-door Badlands comes standard with the soft top, MIC top is optional. Only 4-door models with a stock hard top are Wildtrak and First Edition. Then all 2-door models (where soft isn't even an option at all).