First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Your Bronco Model
Base
Installing the 600lb top spring today. Will update when complete.
A873755B-FB4C-4BE5-9312-65A34673ED0A.jpeg
Interested in your finding, i changed out the lower and have been been putting off the upper, until a tune
Sponsored

popo_patty

Big Bend
First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco/1996 Jeep XJ/1957 FC-150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Interested in your finding, i changed out the lower and have been been putting off the upper, until a tune
I thought the tender spring is supposed to be compressed. It’s sole job is to apply pressure on the main spring to prevent it from coming loose when it unloads. At least that’s how King explained it to me.

OP
OP
TX21BRONC

TX21BRONC

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit Hemi, Range Rover Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I thought the tender spring is supposed to be compressed. It’s sole job is to apply pressure on the main spring to prevent it from coming loose when it unloads. At least that’s how King explained it to me.
That really doesn’t make sense to me. That tender spring needs to have some available compression or why even have it. There is no way that main spring will be loose when the shock unloads. That spring is always under compression or it would be loose with no load on it. King couldn’t give me a straight answer when I called them with this issue. They recommended changing out the main spring and said it was not a big deal if the tender was fully compressed. I just don’t buy that.

OP
OP
TX21BRONC

TX21BRONC

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Finished installing the 600lb top spring and everything is good to go now. There is slight compression on the tender spring now and I am sitting perfectly level now.
Ford Bronco Not sitting level after King shocks installed 9D1850CB-A7FD-4990-AC87-113488E45DF4
Ford Bronco Not sitting level after King shocks installed 39F2C54E-4472-4DF5-ABFC-E2B894C288F8

Aztec1382

Base
First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Your Bronco Model
Base
Looks good
Did you keep the original lower spring

Sponsored
OP
OP
TX21BRONC

TX21BRONC

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Looks good
Did you keep the original lower spring
I changed the main spring from stock 350lb to 450lb previously but the stock 500lb tender was still fully compressed. So, that is why I changed to the 600lb tender spring.

popo_patty

Big Bend
First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I changed the main spring from stock 350lb to 450lb previously but the stock 500lb tender was still fully compressed. So, that is why I changed to the 600lb tender spring.
Really curious for photos of your front end. Did you run any tuning on your Kings from the business you purchased from? Mine rides like a brick and shops aren’t very helpful and I’m running out of time before Moab. Steering also feels loose after lifting, even with an alignment.

I have 8” from top of front tire to metal fender and 5 1/4” of exposed shaft on front shock at ride height.

MD666

Wildtrak
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Lot of information to go through. Thanks. Helpful stuff. Can you please post the part numbers for the springs you purchased
Finished installing the 600lb top spring and everything is good to go now. There is slight compression on the tender spring now and I am sitting perfectly level now.
Do you have a part number for the 600lb top spring? Thanks man

Aztec1382

Base
First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Your Bronco Model
Base
i did the same for the lower
And have to remove them again to change the upper, once my bumper and tire carrrier are done

popo_patty

Big Bend
First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Anyone have photos of their kings at zero preload. I have my collars all the way up to the top but not sure if it’s zero preload or not. Does anyone know if full out on the preload collar IS zero preload for this coilovers? King hasn’t been super helpful or knowledgeable on the phone unfortunately. And I didn’t install the coils so I’m not sure where they are set too. I’m curious if my steering issue is because I have negative preload and need to push the collar down a touch?

Sponsored

Aztec1382

Base
First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Your Bronco Model
Base
Mine came with the collars all the way to the top

OP
OP
TX21BRONC

TX21BRONC

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Anyone have photos of their kings at zero preload. I have my collars all the way up to the top but not sure if it’s zero preload or not. Does anyone know if full out on the preload collar IS zero preload for this coilovers? King hasn’t been super helpful or knowledgeable on the phone unfortunately. And I didn’t install the coils so I’m not sure where they are set too. I’m curious if my steering issue is because I have negative preload and need to push the collar down a touch?
I just measured my fronts per your video and I measure about 5-1/2” as well. I have not noticed any roughness or loose feeling you are describing. I am at 15 clicks from soft. I attached a couple pics of how mine are set and how my Bronco is now sitting with the new 450/600lb spring setup with all my stuff in the back.
Ford Bronco Not sitting level after King shocks installed 207A9DDF-C314-4848-B654-2BE5F3AD0F87
Ford Bronco Not sitting level after King shocks installed 43302665-95F9-4D6B-B23E-DB92DD7D8610
Ford Bronco Not sitting level after King shocks installed 4B0B7818-E8E9-4192-9EE1-2082FAB17FEF

OP
OP
TX21BRONC

TX21BRONC

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

i did the same for the lower
And have to remove them again to change the upper, once my bumper and tire carrrier are done
I have had the new 600lb tender springs for a while now. After changing out the main spring I just didn't have the motivation to take them out again and add the new tender. But, I had a free Saturday and finally got it done. The biggest pain in the butt is taking out the wheel liner. I only take out enough of the fasteners to where I can bend it back and get to the top bolts. But that freakin 7mm that is underneath, where the factory slider gets in the way is a royal pain. I have a million ratching box wrenches but I did not have a 7mm so I had to use pliers to get that one bolt out. I just order a 7mm so next time, I will be good to go. Anyway, once you past the liner, the rest is fairly straight forward. I also took the opportunity to install my Borne Off-Road rear shock protectors. I actually had some scrapes on the bottom of my shocks so I wish I would have added those protectors earlier.

OP
OP
TX21BRONC

TX21BRONC

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Side note - Looks like maybe your Resi hose is taking a beating on the control arm
Yea, it was rubbing a bit but I ended up just lightly hammering in that angle piece at the top of the shock with a plastic hammer and it moved it out of the way. It is not rubbing any longer. The other side is actually worse! But both are good now.
Sponsored