First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 22 Maverick
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I see you have an 86 Samurai. My Papaw had an 87 that he got in his body shop with light damage in the front end. He ended up buying it and we had years of fun in that thing!

RoLyMa27

Badlands
First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 22 Maverick
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Sorry...didn't mean to get off topic!

OP
OP
The Bronze

The Bronze

First Edition
First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Suzuki Samurai, 1967 Ford Bronco, 1993 Turbo Notchback, 2006 Sierra K1500, 2013 Sierra K1500, 2014 Sienna Mini-Van
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Sounds like your pretty much ready for anything! I know who to call if I'm ever stuck in Colorado!
Any I don’t take pictures, so your stucky-stucky will remain a secret!

OP
OP
The Bronze

The Bronze

First Edition
First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Suzuki Samurai, 1967 Ford Bronco, 1993 Turbo Notchback, 2006 Sierra K1500, 2013 Sierra K1500, 2014 Sienna Mini-Van
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

What first aid gear do you carry?
This is in my 72 hour bag. I carry a second one in my rig which is similar, but less bandaids and more gauze. The tourniquet and blood clotting pads are in my daily bag, because you never know when you are going to come across a horrible car accident and they need to be close at hand.

Ford Bronco Off-Road 72 Hour Bag 549B5AA5-1D67-4DBA-99CC-07B4254C0617

There are lots of hand warmers everywhere because I spent most my life in Alaska and you can’t do anything with frozen fingers.

Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Wow, already lots of great info already and the OP really got this thread going with a bang.

Something I noticed in other forums/threads when this subject comes up someone will rightfully and helpfully post pics of their awesome gear. Then, people new to the subject will see the pics showing $100s-$1000s worth of equipment and say something like "I can't get / afford all that stuff right now!".

You're probably right, you probably can't. But Rome wasn't built in a day, either.

Speaking for myself (but I'd wager I'm not alone), setting up Get Home Bags (GHBs) for my vehicles was a process that evolved and is still evolving. Not all of it has to be acquired today, but you can start today with the "little things" that won't be so little when you need them.

Got a 6-pack of bottled water handy? Write the date on it (rotate it out in 6 months) and put it in the trunk or wherever in the vehicle works for you.

That getting-old set of sturdy shoes? Get a new pair and put the old ones and fresh pair of socks in that gym bag that's been lying at the back of your closet doing nothing. Put the bag in the car.

You have spent next to nothing and have started on your kit.

The next time you are at the gas station, buy a few butane lighters and put them in your vehicle and/or bag. You can buy that $500 BurnzItAllUp 2000 later, a cheap Bic will work great for now.

Next time you are at the market, get a pack of granola bars that I always see on sale. They are a great get-you-by food. Rotate them out with the water.

Many of these items can be had on the cheap, but you will want to spend money when it needs to be spent, tools are the first thing that comes to mind for me. Get yourself a quality multi-tool and put it in the gymbag with the shoes, socks, and lighter.

Start that kit!
I love this post. ^^^^^
... and the thread in general OP. Thanks! @The Bronze

You'd be surprised at 2 things.
1.) How far some "basics" in vehicle recovery stuff and survival gear will take you.
2.) How few people on the trail will carry "basics".

Yet another surprise, once you look at how much stuff a good group of trucks carrys in total, what you can accomplish as a crew is astounding... and humbling.

Everybody's "Basics" varies a little, and that allows a vast array of gear to be spread loaded across several rigs.

OP
OP
The Bronze

The Bronze

First Edition
First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Here’s my itemized list:

72 hour bag

5.11 rush 72 bag
Viking rune protection patch
Heavy duty d ring carabiner
6 niteize s-Biner
Flash light
Fixed blade knife
Military surplus E-tool
Razor tooth folding saw
Estwing axe
100 feet of paracord
Desert shemagh
Replaced pull tabs with Fire coord
5 hour energy
Assorted zip tied
10 feet of duct tape
Ferro magnisium rod
Signal mirror
Secondary flashlight
3 Chem lights
Notepad
3 pens
2 sharpies
Spare boot laces
Baby wipes
3 m95 dust masks
Second ferro rod with whistle
Water proof matches
Mints
Sunblock
Vaseline
Tylenol
Nasal spray
Hand sanitizer
Third flash light
Playing cards
Trash bag
Handkerchief
Hand warmers
Ear plugs
Lighter
Bug spray
50ml of tequila
Super glue
Chapstick
Compact towels
5 oz of silver
100 dollars cash
SAS survival guide
1 military issued tarp
SOL emergency bivvy
Work gloves
20 liter folding bucket
Travel toiletry kit
Life straw
Cold weather top and bottom
Extra socks
Lock sac water proof bags
Titanium spork
Fozziles foldable dishware
1 complete first aid kit
1 5.56 mini mag
30 5.56 rounds
1 9mm mag
50 9mm rounds
Binoculars
Hand crank radio with flashlight
Camelback 1 gallon
3 day supply of food items
Tequila is a great addition. I carry sunblock in the vehicles, but I could see me forgetting that if I had to head out. I will be adding that. Ammo is always in the small day-bag!

OP
OP
The Bronze

The Bronze

First Edition
First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

A lot of folks will say this is overkill, of course, and honestly I have never had to make a run for it or survive overnight yet. But I'd rather look back and say I had a fighting chance than not be able to look back because I didn't have these tools when something crazy happened.
Well said.

RescueCheckPT2

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco BD, MH-65D
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
How do you like that solar charger? I’ve been meaning to pick one of those up, but have been jaded by past portable “chargers” that barely maintain charge let alone add to it.

Great looking bag otherwise. Reminds me I have to go through mine soon. I can’t wait for my bronco... keeping this bag in my Focus ST is taking up precious room.

JesseS

Badlands
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jayco AY26, Honda F6B, CR-V
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Well said.
Us OG's had a saying... Lead, Follow, or get out of the way! Doing something, even if not the best thing, is better than doing nothing at all. I love this and your other thread, good, timely, and useful information.

Sponsored

TenSeven

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I might not have seen it but maybe a hand crank emergency radio and a walkie-talkie?
Absolutely, they are an excellent resource. AM/FM radio stations are considered critical infrastructure and will continue to broadcast news & weather until the S has completely HTF.

Be sure to test them occasionally, I've had a couple go bad.

TenSeven

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Test Your Gear

I have a monthly recurring event in my calendar reminding me to go thru the stuff.

Run the generator for a few minutes, test the batteries (get a battery tester, they are inexpensive and very handy) on your various devices (don't forget the weapons lights and optics!), check that the water hasn't leaked.

Oh, about water and leaking. When you are keeping emergency water in the truck, get bottled water in smaller packs like a 6 pack, not those big gallon+ jugs.

The smaller bottles are much more easily carried in pockets. Also if one small bottle leaks, you only lose that water. If one big container leaks you can lose it all.

OP
OP
The Bronze

The Bronze

First Edition
First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I see you have an 86 Samurai. My Papaw had an 87 that he got in his body shop with light damage in the front end. He ended up buying it and we had years of fun in that thing!
samurais are fun as heck. Cheap to build and can whee most terrain easily. Not exactly a interstate warrior though.

Anthraces

Badlands
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Japanese car/SUV unfortunately
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Definitely a land navigation compass.

I would replace your signal for sure. Also include an IR flashlight for signaling search parties.

MREs are great as the military has learned how to cram the most calories in least amount of space. Also some laxatives for said MREs.

not sure what’s in first aid kit but would include Benadryl for allergic reactions, and hydration packets, and insta ice packs, also scissors, tweezers, magnifying glass, and small scalpel (you never know) along with the typical

a handgun of your choice, plus small fishing line, etc

i have a single permethrin treated pop up tent and a small hammock/attachments that I’ve never used but could come in handy

I think everything else you got or has been mentioned.

Last edited:

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs