First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Good advice, I did not think of that. If I have to take the tire of to change an oil filter that is not very user friendly design. ;-)
I just did my 6th oil change @26,000 miles. I have never remove the tire to do the oil change. I use a ratchet oil filter wrench, a 3" and 6" extension. I do not turn the wheel or pull any inner fender hardware out.
Sponsored

Giddyup Buttercup

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
What's wrong with just pulling the plug?

I'm going to be a wise ass here, so forewarned. Your time must not be worth much. By the time you buy the oil and filter, drain the oil, replace the filter, contain the old oil and drive it to the parts house to dispose of it, then stash your receipt for the oil and filter in a safe place so you have proof that the oil was changed to protect your factory warranty, you could have just paid 75 bucks and had someone else do it. Unless you REALLY like doing this kind of stuff yourself, it seems to make no sense to me.
I have had, seen and heard of a lot of "mechanics" screwing up oil changes. Things that have happened to me include trying to sell me air filters, oil pan cleanings, coolant flushes then telling them NO is a hard thing to do they do not want to hear it). I have also had way to much, not enough and not even actually change the oil.

The only time I do not do my own oil change is in the winter.

Tripodbruno

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
tacoma(no more) F-250, Hiker Trailer, Jeep Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Oil change is one of the easiest things for most (shade tree/you tube U) mechanics to do. My time is valuable and I would much rather hang in my garage with my son and listen to tunes, teach, tinker than sit at the dealer and ā€˜hopeā€™ it is done with any care. I have a Jeep Rubicon until the Bronco may arrive and good luck finding a place that is happy about doing a five wheel tire rotation (I know there are other threads about that) The Jeep dealer wanted $150 for a service and tire rotation. This week I was able to change oil, filter, air filter, cabin filter, brake pads, tire rotation, check and inspect etcā€¦ for less than $150 in parts and 3hrs of my time. My 11 year old made $$ (+life lessons) Worth it for sure. Not sure if the ford pass app allows but, the Jeep app allows you to log service yourself and I just keep my Amazon receipts as proof.

sounds like for the 2.3 oil change just access the filter as I rotate tires.

Ohlongjohnson

Base
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Basemansquatch 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Doing it yourself is the best bet. I have paid shops to do oil changes on my vehicles a total of 4 times in my life.
I had severe back pain and could not do it myself those times.
Out of those 4 times, it was done correctly once.
2 times the filter wasn't tightened properly and leaked significant amounts of oil out.
Once, my oil pan was damaged by over-tightening the drain plug with an impact. I could hear and see the tech applying the ugga duggahs. I made note of it, checked it on the next oil change, sure enough the threads were stripped out. They denied it and wouldn't cover it.

Dmorty217

Black Diamond
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camery
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I take mine to the dealer to be done with my extended warranty I purchased. If theyā€™re incapable of doing it right and something gets f*cked up itā€™s on them. Would never take mine to a jiffy lube or similar place

Sponsored

RimrockPaul

Base
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Base
Good advice, I did not think of that. If I have to take the tire of to change an oil filter that is not very user friendly design. ;-)
I rotate tires at every oil change on my 2.3. When left front tire is off i start the oil change. The filter can wrench I used on my 2007 Road king works great to remove filter.
Oil change takes 15 minutes...or 2 beers.
Paul

RimrockPaul

Base
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Base
I take mine to the dealer to be done with my extended warranty I purchased. If theyā€™re incapable of doing it right and something gets f*cked up itā€™s on them. Would never take mine to a jiffy lube or similar place
Not sure I'd trust a dealer either. Oil change techs are bottom of the tech level at a dealer. I've got a good private shop with old guy that knows how it's done. I use him if I don't have time to do it myself. I keep oil and filters at home and he'll do it for 25 bucks using my oil and filter.
Paul.

RimrockPaul

Base
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Base
Does it take that long to drain if the motor is hot? Most people who do it themselves do it cold. What about other vehicles that have the same 2.7? Hmm....something to check out.
I always do mine hot. Drains in 5 to 10 minutes. Once it's is just a drip....its done.

Dmorty217

Black Diamond
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camery
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Not sure I'd trust a dealer either. Oil change techs are bottom of the tech level at a dealer. I've got a good private shop with old guy that knows how it's done. I use him if I don't have time to do it myself. I keep oil and filters at home and he'll do it for 25 bucks using my oil and filter.
Paul.
I agree with you but easier to get a blown motor taken care of if the dealership is the cause.

RimrockPaul

Base
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Base
I agree with you but easier to get a blown motor taken care of if the dealership is the cause.
I've owned motorized vehicles since 1966. More than 30 new. Always do all my own maintenance. I've had a mere handful of minor warranty issues. Never blown a motor.
I also have drove many company-owned vehicles...most of them heavy duty work pickups.
My employers have all commented over the years that my vehicles seem to have have a lot less problems than others. I can explain it...Its called giving a shit about the way you treat a vehicle. Like a horse if you treat it badly..You'll be walking across the desert with a saddle on your back.
I guess I grew up in a different generation.
Regards and good luck.
Paul in AZ

Sponsored

Golfsnob

Base
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Base 2 Door, Manual, 2.3
Your Bronco Model
Base
Had my 1st service done this morning at my local Ford dealer where I bought the vehicle. Full synthetic oil/filer change, tire rotation, typical routine checks. I was there about an hour. $126.00 paid with FordPass points. All documented no issues.

Dmorty217

Black Diamond
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camery
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I've owned motorized vehicles since 1966. More than 30 new. Always do all my own maintenance. I've had a mere handful of minor warranty issues. Never blown a motor.
I also have drove many company-owned vehicles...most of them heavy duty work pickups.
My employers have all commented over the years that my vehicles seem to have have a lot less problems than others. I can explain it...Its called giving a shit about the way you treat a vehicle. Like a horse if you treat it badly..You'll be walking across the desert with a saddle on your back.
Regards and good luck.
Paul in AZ
Iā€™m fully capable of doing my own oil changes but with the warranty why would I? Disposing of the used oil is a pain in the ass. I could also rotate my tires but again itā€™s covered under the warranty with the oil change. If I could of opted to pay less for the vehicle and had no warranty I would have, but itā€™s not the way it works. Also vehicles in 2023 are not user friendly to maintenance outside of a oil change and tire rotation. Way too many things connected to a computer. I paid for the shit so why not use it? If the dealership fucks up my bronco they will fix it, you can bet on that.

Blue Hen

Base
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Base
When you follow the schedule maintenance of the owners manual. You're doing manufactures requirements. Remember that they want you to buy another vehicle down the road. Lease or flip vehicles every 3 or 4 years do the bare minimum. Own for a long time take measures to make the vehicle last. My plan is to change fluids like my other vehicle that is almost 25 years old ( owned since new ). I don't believe in lifetime fill. Transmission, transfer case, differentials and coolant will be changed at 30K. Ford doesn't pay my car payment I do. I want my bronco to last and will do my best to make that happen. I like working on my stuff, piece of mind its done to the best of my ability.

Kevin Scarbel

Everglades
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Bronco Everglades 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Everglades
Iā€™m fully capable of doing my own oil changes but with the warranty why would I? Disposing of the used oil is a pain in the ass. I could also rotate my tires but again itā€™s covered under the warranty with the oil change. If I could of opted to pay less for the vehicle and had no warranty I would have, but itā€™s not the way it works. Also vehicles in 2023 are not user friendly to maintenance outside of a oil change and tire rotation. Way too many things connected to a computer. I paid for the shit so why not use it? If the dealership fucks up my bronco they will fix it, you can bet on that.
Reasons to change your own oil:
1. It's a whole new world.
2. I've learned the bulk oil dealers are buying is often mediocre in quality.
3. Since 2020, I encountered my engine was typically under-filled or over-filled with oil.

Dmorty217

Black Diamond
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camery
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Regards and good luck.
Paul in AZ
I was dumb and got the extended warranty from ford when I purchased so doing my own oil changes and tire rotations negates what I get for free from ford for 6 years along with everything else. The blown motor comment was for the op who had issues from the ford techs not doing their job. If I did my own oil changes there is zero chance I didnā€™t tighten the oil filter or drain plug enough. I agree with you 100%
Sponsored