Sponsored

Ok, time to pull the trigger: Squatch or no?

MotownSpartan

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Ford Escape XLT 6cyl
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I want to see both, but right now like the look of that 33” over the 35” BL 4 door at KOH. The extra lift between tire top and fender looks more sporty to me, makes the lift look more pronounced. The 33s will also be quieter, last longer, handle better and still be rock stars on the trail. I always remind myself, even when going off-road that i need to drive 2 hours on the highway to get there. For BL, 35s seem mostly for show.

I reserve the right to change my mind when I see both in person... some day.
Well stated... standing in agreement!
Sponsored

RiseAbove

Badlands
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Challenger RT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Initial order:

BD SAS 2.7 MID

Changed order to

BL Non SAS 2.7 HIGH

Changed order again...

BL SAS 2.7 HIGH

My reasoning behind changing from 33s to 35s was simply gearing. I know 35s will fit without re-gearing, however I didn’t want to have to deal with any issues. Im not handy enough to do the labor myself, so it’s better for me to get the SAS right out of the gate. The parts and labor to do it later will likely be more expensive. Plus I get the warranty coverage.

I know some people say it’s a waste to get SAS on the BL because there isn’t a huge difference in size. I’m kinda kicking myself for making the change, BUT the reasons above bring me back to a reasonably justified decision.

What I don’t like about the SAS is #1 the wheels, specifically the silver ring. I plan to buy the trim that goes around the wheel similar to the FE and WT. This will make the wheel all black. I’m also not sold on the tires, but I’ll ride them and swap when I’m ready.

So who else shares similar thinking to me? I’m new to off-roading so my logic may be completely off 🤷🏼‍♂️

Roger123

Badlands
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GC, '14 Yamaha Super Tenere
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Initial order:

BD SAS 2.7 MID

Changed order to

BL Non SAS 2.7 HIGH

Changed order again...

BL SAS 2.7 HIGH

My reasoning behind changing from 33s to 35s was simply gearing. I know 35s will fit without re-gearing, however I didn’t want to have to deal with any issues. Im not handy enough to do the labor myself, so it’s better for me to get the SAS right out of the gate. The parts and labor to do it later will likely be more expensive. Plus I get the warranty coverage.

I know some people say it’s a waste to get SAS on the BL because there isn’t a huge difference in size. I’m kinda kicking myself for making the change, BUT the reasons above bring me back to a reasonably justified decision.

What I don’t like about the SAS is #1 the wheels, specifically the silver ring. I plan to buy the trim that goes around the wheel similar to the FE and WT. This will make the wheel all black. I’m also not sold on the tires, but I’ll ride them and swap when I’m ready.

So who else shares similar thinking to me? I’m new to off-roading so my logic may be completely off 🤷🏼‍♂️
In my opinion, you, like most of us, are getting caught up in the "hype" of the Bronco and SAS in particular. You have stated four reasons against SAS but went ahead and did it anyway. I believe new off-roaders are getting so caught up in Bronco and SAS that they are losing sight of the big picture. I get the impression that they think they'll only be able to go off-road with SAS and anything else will just not be good enough.

I see you're in SC, what type of wheelin' will you really be doing? When I lived in Charleston it was all sand, mud and flat.

Now, having said that, your choice is badass! Nothing wrong with badass at all, just make sure you're making the choice based on being badass and not what you really NEED the car to do.

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

On a badlands: no. You have 95% of the Squatch value already from a resale perspective.

RiseAbove

Badlands
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Challenger RT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

In my opinion, you, like most of us, are getting caught up in the "hype" of the Bronco and SAS in particular. You have stated four reasons against SAS but went ahead and did it anyway. I believe new off-roaders are getting so caught up in Bronco and SAS that they are losing sight of the big picture. I get the impression that they think they'll only be able to go off-road with SAS and anything else will just not be good enough.

I see you're in SC, what type of wheelin' will you really be doing? When I lived in Charleston it was all sand, mud and flat.

Now, having said that, your choice is badass! Nothing wrong with badass at all, just make sure you're making the choice based on being badass and not what you really NEED the car to do.
I can’t disagree with you. I’m actually near Charlotte and a short drive to the Asheville area. Not too bad for some off-roading, but far from ideal either.
What I really disliked about the standard tires on the 33s were the rims offered. Again not something I’d want to keep long term. The upgraded MT 33s are nicer, but again they are similar to the SAS and the price is close.

So ultimately my plan all along was to to 35s. I think it at the very minimum looks better on the Bronco 4dr. Functionality is questionable, one would even argue that the 33s are better for MPG. I couldn’t care less about that considering I’m driving a Challenger at the moment.

Sponsored

Austin26

Base
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Base
I agree that there is some extra hype and unintentional peer pressure to go Sasquatch.

That being said, I may get it on a base but I care more about the A4, gearing, and wheels (don't love the look but I was going to have to replace the stock A/S tires anyways.). I'd rather just get it all from the factory with no headache and sleep soundly with warranty. The rest of the package is nice and all but I value it less. I might chicken though because I don't like spending money.

RiseAbove

Badlands
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Challenger RT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It’s about. $2500 difference between base BL to SAS BL, which obviously includes gearing, larger tires, different wheels.

If I got the base BL and wanted to upgrade to 35s and buy 5 aftermarket wheels, and re-gear later; I’m going to bet it would cost more than $2500 for the parts alone. Just my guess...

and I know it looks like I’m talking myself into justifying the upgrade, and maybe I am rationalizing it. Financially it makes more sense to get it right away, then have the hassle of doing it later. I would be 100% taking the stock BL wheels off, they are just not for me. And yes I could sell them and re-coup some of the price.

when you are spending 50k+ on a vehicle, what’s another $2500?

Ryuk

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger, 2023 Ford F-150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

My thought process behind going with 35s from the get go is 3 fold.

First up, I was a hard core rock crawler and I intend to get back into it with the Bronco.
I will be doing trails that are harder than what Ford tested on. So for me, there is no hype. I personally know that 35s do make a difference and will be in situations where I will put them to good use. I also know that Dana 44s with 35s are near bullet proof. If you upgrade the axle shafts, even more so.

Second point
Going with SAS immediately, The setup is 100% covered under warranty with no wiggle room for Ford. So even if you had an issue, or broke something. It was in no way modified by you, so there is no discussion on what could have caused the failure. The Bronco is the only vehicle in which you can get 35" tires covered under factory warranty. That is not hype, that's a reality and It is a big differentiator compared to the competition.

Last,
This is what it costs to add 18" rims to a mustang.

Ford Bronco Ok, time to pull the trigger: Squatch or no? 1613490602049

For those sticking with the 33' but adding the optional rims you have this cost

Ford Bronco Ok, time to pull the trigger: Squatch or no? 1613490928849

That makes the SAS cost of $2400 very fair and it guarantees the 2.7 gearing.

I highly doubt anyone who adds SAS to a BL will regret their decision. I can guarantee there will be people going with 33s that will and eventually hit the aftermarket to get them and end up spending roughly the same price or more.

Personally I am seeing more peer pressure to NOT go with SAS, than I am the other way.
All the people sticking with 33s are trying to convince everyone else they don't need the 35s. It's so vocal, it's almost like they are trying to justify their own decision.

If you can afford it, I think it's really this simple

Do you need 35s? If Yes, upgrade to SAS
Do you want 35s? If Yes, upgrade to SAS

All others stick with 33s

JHawk

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Initial order:

BD SAS 2.7 MID

Changed order to

BL Non SAS 2.7 HIGH

Changed order again...

BL SAS 2.7 HIGH

I have not ordered yet but your build is similar to what I have in mind. I am still waffling. I do not really need 35's but they do look good on the 4dr's. I do like the look of the 33's too. I am planning to go with the optional wheels if I go 33 and at that point 35's are not much of a reach cost wise. The silver rings will need to come off and get powder coated to something like carbonized grey though.

Gamecock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands / Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Personally I am seeing more peer pressure to NOT go with SAS, than I am the other way.
All the people sticking with 33s are trying to convince everyone else they don't need the 35s. It's so vocal, it's almost like they are trying to justify their own decision.
That is VERY true...funny, but true. Definitely some vocal ones on here trying to rally support to make themselves feel better about it.

Sponsored

Lilj4425

Badlands
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That is VERY true...funny, but true. Definitely some vocal ones on here trying to rally support to make themselves feel better about it.
Sasquatch is bad for the ummm...environment. Save the squirrels.

RiseAbove

Badlands
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Challenger RT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have not ordered yet but your build is similar to what I have in mind. I am still waffling. I do not really need 35's but they do look good on the 4dr's. I do like the look of the 33's too. I am planning to go with the optional wheels if I go 33 and at that point 35's are not much of a reach cost wise. The silver rings will need to come off and get powder coated to something like carbonized grey though.
Coming from the Dodge Challenger world, no one “needs” a 485-700+ HP Hemi but...it’s about the little pleasures. Or in terms of the Bronco and Sasquatch “BIG” pleasures.

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I can’t disagree with you. I’m actually near Charlotte and a short drive to the Asheville area. Not too bad for some off-roading, but far from ideal either.
What I really disliked about the standard tires on the 33s were the rims offered. Again not something I’d want to keep long term. The upgraded MT 33s are nicer, but again they are similar to the SAS and the price is close.

So ultimately my plan all along was to to 35s. I think it at the very minimum looks better on the Bronco 4dr. Functionality is questionable, one would even argue that the 33s are better for MPG. I couldn’t care less about that considering I’m driving a Challenger at the moment.
OK - so Uwharrie - which I’ve done all but the backside of Daniel and Kodak Rock in a bone stock JKUR on the stock 32” KMs. Yes the skid plates got a little dinged - which is what they’re for - and the extra 2” in lift since then eliminated it on 33’s.

Net: a “standard” Badlands will be more than capable, and even with a Squatch I would still be hesitant on the most difficult trails because it isn’t high enough.

Has anyone seen a measurement from the ground to the bottom of the frame rails on BL or Squatch?

Ryuk

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger, 2023 Ford F-150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Not exactly what you asked for but this is on the Ford Website.

Ford Bronco Ok, time to pull the trigger: Squatch or no? 1613516204652

With the following fine print

Ford Bronco Ok, time to pull the trigger: Squatch or no? 1613516324422

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Not exactly what you asked for but this is on the Ford Website.

1613516204652.png

With the following fine print

1613516324422.png
Doesn't tell me if it is measuring to the bottom of the pumpkin or shock mounts (whatever hangs lower), or to the bottom of the frame rails, and so I can't tell what kind of "sprung" clearance a BL and a Squatch have versus my current Jeep. (For example, I have 10" to the bottom of the rear pumpkin, and 16" to the bottom of the frame.
Sponsored