Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MBZ E350, supposed daily driver
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I did the dreaded dropped my door this weekend. First time taking them off. Ive had jeeps for years and their hinge design is so much easier. When trying to hang the door I guess I didnt have the top part in and soon as I loosened my grip on the handle it felt to the driveway. I had to hammer it out just to close the door.

Ive seen several others do the same thing and wondering what the outcome was for repair. Was it able to fixed or did the door have to be replaced? Im going to get estimates today and curious what to expect.

door1.jpeg

door2.jpeg
The 2D door is much heavier and longer, and really requires 2 people to do. Can't tell from your images which body you have, but it's painful to see nonetheless. I had help taking on and putting on, and even with help, I slid the bags on first to have a better grip of the door. The OEM door bags are really helpful because of the extra handles and grab points. I highly recommend those for anyone that does this often.
Sponsored

mikeeshim

First Edition
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

bag wouldnt prevent an impact and dent tho... :rolleyes:
The OEM bags have handles along the top and grab points along the bag half way down.
It makes carrying the door much easier.
You can even open the hinge side and use the bag to lift the door, align them, bolt em in, and slide the bags off for next time. They're actually constructed extremely well, dare I say, much better than the car itself.

Squishie

Black Diamond
First Name
Damian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The 2D door is much heavier and longer, and really requires 2 people to do. Can't tell from your images which body you have, but it's painful to see nonetheless. I had help taking on and putting on, and even with help, I slid the bags on first to have a better grip of the door. The OEM door bags are really helpful because of the extra handles and grab points. I highly recommend those for anyone that does this often.
I Have a 2D Black diamond. True 2D doors are heavier. That's why next time I will have something on the ground to hold the door in place needs to be.

mikeeshim

First Edition
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I took more of a notice on my jeep and saw that the corners are rounded vs squared off like Ford did....makes me wonder if they know something Ford has yet to realize.
Imagine how many doors were dropped before they decided to round them off. Then double it. Then we'll see something.

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

@ChrisB351 That sucks man, looks like one hard ass drop. Can't skip curls day bro! :) I kid.

An idea I have for everyone who wants to remove the doors, yet by yourself. Please purchase a thick yoga mat to place right in that area just in case in effort to catch the door or lessen the blow if it were to fall.

Ford would say to buy the bags, which is true, but they cost. A thick yoga mat is around $30-$70 on Amazon. Plus, you can do the yogas and stuff which is good for your back which your lady will appreciate. Minus points if you choose to wear yoga tights to match your man bun......
but I digress. :cautious:

Sponsored

Fly2Win

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250 SD, 68 Firebird, 85 300ZX
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

RobBob22

Base
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F250 SuperDuty
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

It's kinda funny I don't actually know this, but does the interior grab handle go all the way through or is it pocket?

I suppose you could wrap a shoulder strap through that and over your right shoulder. Once you get the hinge in place you can keep pressure down on the hinge side and pressure up on the shoulder strap.

Not sure this makes since, but some added support/security if you can.

BroncoBuckaroo

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017GT350-SOLD, 2013 Ford Edge, 1969 Torino Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Did you use the door bags? I would never take the doors off without the use of the door bags. In addition put a thick yoga mat (or something similar) on the ground. I know some people take the doors off in the grass, but the grass could be tricky and uneven and cause a tumble depending on your particular lawn. Also I put the doors directly to the rear of the Bronco for storage.

I have had my doors off and on dozens of times, and you don’t need two people, but the first time you take them off until you get used to the process I would suggest a helper

FatRat250

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Badlands Squatch Lux Hot Pepper
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've found that the bags help protect from scratches and provide a handle on top for your partner to hold the entire assembly, but I think they might actually make it a little more awkward for one person doing it alone. I've gotten better at taking my smaller 4dr doors off by myself with practice but I can say having a second person to hold steady while you guide makes the whole process less stressful.

Again, sorry this happened and hope it works out well in the end.
The bags are a little awkward I agree. However at the bottom of the bag there is about an inch worth of padding that might save you. I always worry when I set them down in the garage that I might drop them just a hair too hard and the padding makes me feel a little more confident. It seems to me the handles are too long on the bags to be able to lift them comfortably. Not the greatest design but at least they’re protected from scratches and dings. I had tube doors, half doors and steel doors for my jeep. The only time they ever got damage was when they were in the garage and off the car.

The Mountain Man

Wildtrak
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Expedition, 15 Jetta TDI, 12 Boss 302
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I’ve found if I’m taking them on and of in the daylight I have no issues. When it’s dark I don’t really have any trouble taking them off, but I have a super hard time putting them back on. A little light somewhere in the floorboard would be awesome.

Sponsored

Dadsquatch

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I haven't removed my doors yet, but the first time I do I'll be bringing all my couch cushions out to the garage to place under the doors during the removal/install process.

Eroc88

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That's gonna be one expensive oopise.

JT58Bronc

Base
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Miata track Edition
Your Bronco Model
Base
Unless you are a pro or really good, a DIY body/paint job on new $50K vehicle doesn't seem like a good decision to me. I had someone back into my door (not Bronco) a few months ago, costs $1800. The pros do an amazing job, I would pony up and get it done right.
Totally agree. The cost is staggering to some if you are not familiar with bodywork and whether you do it yourself (proper repair) or have the pros do it, there is a lot of labor involved which equals lot of $$$$.

I tried very hard (and failed) to restore a 66 Bronco. I learned a lesson the hard way not to trust body shops on restorations but that's another story. In the end before I aborted the project I went to a high end body shop, they walked me through the paint process and the labor and costs were simply staggering. Base, bare bones crappy paint job was 10K. Medium to high end was 100K. If anyone ever does a restoration bodywork is way more expensive than mechanical work.

ChrisCozart

Wildtrak
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Black Diamond (non-Sas.)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
DOH! Glad I got the door bags. I've only taken them off once, but having the bag around the door and the bag having good grab handles to carry it makes for a less stressful process.

OP
OP
ChrisB351

ChrisB351

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2dr Bronco, 2005 ZX6r, 1993 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Dude, no one drives like that. It's up for short periods. Not everything needs to be beautiful all the time. Do you just sit and stare at yourself at the gym?

Yes, I love that it raises up.
I think he was referring to accessing the rear not driving with that open
Sponsored