Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Having replaced my 2 doors by myself many times, I just don't get why people drop them at an alarming rate. I both visually verify they are on the hinges and swing the door slightly back and forth to verify before I let go. When I do let go, I do slowly with the intention of catching the door if needed. Be careful out there.
Sponsored

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Quick question: When you install your Bronco doors, are you standing on the inside of the door (between door and body), or on the outside of the door? :unsure:

When I remove my doors, which I do frequently, I stand on the inside of the door, and I don’t see any door sheet metal blocking the hinge, because I am positioned between the door and the body. The top hinge has a flange on the rear that partially blocks the keyed upper pin, but no door sheet metal is blocking the hinge. 🤷‍♂️
You would think standing on the inside would be the only way people would do it, since that's where you have to be to replace the bolts. I suppose some may be trying to hold it on the outside and replace blind. Then going around to replace the bolts.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

It is nice having the doors off but he is not wrong. Looks more like an afterthought from Ford with the way the exposed door jams look. Does not look really bad but does not look great either.

I think it looks great.

Ford Bronco Oopsie... dropped and dented my door this weekend 93FEBD60-2FC1-4A1B-BB71-8237742D5124

mike8675309

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco ManSquatch, 2023 Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
Quick question: When you install your Bronco doors, are you standing on the inside of the door (between door and body), or on the outside of the door? :unsure:

When I remove my doors, which I do frequently, I stand on the inside of the door, and I don’t see any door sheet metal blocking the hinge, because I am positioned between the door and the body. The top hinge has a flange on the rear that partially blocks the keyed upper pin, but no door sheet metal is blocking the hinge. 🤷‍♂️
When I did it I was standing on the outside, because I wasn't sure how wide open I could have it and get it aligned. I suppose standing on the inside might be better. I haven't done it enough to figure out the ideal way to do it.

Sponsored

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

When I did it I was standing on the outside, because I wasn't sure how wide open I could have it and get it aligned. I suppose standing on the inside might be better. I haven't done it enough to figure out the ideal way to do it.
The same width as to take it off, which for me is wide open. I’d do it from the inside so you can see what you are doing and not have to go anywhere to get that top bolt in quickly.

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Interesting. I re-watched the Bronco Nation video, and they remove and install the doors from the outside, too. :unsure:

Ford Bronco Oopsie... dropped and dented my door this weekend D968FC3E-65A5-4103-AE7D-18E883F85DFB

Next time you do it, try it from the inside. It makes it much easier to hold the driver’s side door handle with your left hand reaching over the door while holding the lower part of the door with your right hand. That way, your head will be facing directly into the hinges, which makes them much easier to see and align during door installation.

In fact, this drawing from the Owners Manual shows you exactly what you will see when installing the door from the inside, between the door and body.

Ford Bronco Oopsie... dropped and dented my door this weekend 8D76AA43-2375-4CDC-B4C4-C1C8C211399A

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Interesting. I re-watched the Bronco Nation video, and they remove and install the doors from the outside, too. :unsure:

D968FC3E-65A5-4103-AE7D-18E883F85DFB.jpeg

Next time you do it, try it from the inside. it makes it much easier to hold the driver’s side door handle with your left hand reaching over the door while holding the lower part of the door with your right hand. That way, you’re head will be facing directly into the hinges, which makes them much easier to see and align during door installation.

In fact, this drawing from the Owners Manual shows you exactly what you will see when installing the door from the inside, between the door and body.

8D76AA43-2375-4CDC-B4C4-C1C8C211399A.jpeg

That’s the most counterintuitive way to do it, but I guess now I better understand why people are dropping them. Hold the door from the inside. They even put a handle on it to hold on to. I can't imagine unbolting the door, then walking around to lift it up or trying to put it on blind, and then walking around to put the bolts in. Never even crossed my mind.

Last edited:

Bronco23

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Tell ya what, before I try this, Im going to take a couple pool noodles , cut them long way and attach them to the bottom of the door with green masking tape. Just in case.

Sponsored

rtazz17

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford bronco big bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
bag wouldnt prevent an impact and dent tho... :rolleyes:
I agree,same thing would’ve happened….. Live and learn. Shit happens

rtazz17

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford bronco big bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Though I will probably never take my doors off, just had a thought. Heavy closed cell pipe insulation that is split slipped on the bottom wouldn't prevent a heavy drop but would give some protection when taking doors off or installing them.
Pool noodles do the same

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That’s the most counterintuitive way to do it, but I guess now I better understand why people are dropping them. Hold the door from the inside. They even put a handle on it to hold on to. I can't imagine unbolting the door, then walking around to lift it up or trying to put it on blind, and then walking around to put the bolts in. Never even crossed my mind.
I just re-watched Ford’s own video on door removal, and although they also rely on door bags, the primary person lifting the door is on the inside between the door and body.

Ford Bronco Oopsie... dropped and dented my door this weekend 0B4AFD8B-9995-49A0-9A9D-C223B71C18A9

Squishie

Black Diamond
First Name
Damian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I feel the pain. Did this the first weekend I owed it. But by learning from my mistakes, I will have something to hold the door. Next summer plan to have doors off quite often.
Ford Bronco Oopsie... dropped and dented my door this weekend Door Damage 1
Ford Bronco Oopsie... dropped and dented my door this weekend Door Damage 2
Sponsored