Sponsored

Order + purchase of Ford Bronco vs Tesla??

CriticalB

Badlands
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I reserved a Cybertruck in February 2020. Reserved the Bronco in July 2020. Only one of these trucks is currently in my garage and despite the long wait, at least the Bronco exists. In fact I’ve not seen a single update message from Tesla, nor have I seen any cybertruck aside from the concept at the reveal and spy pics of a smaller, street legal version.

Pretty much all of the selling points that convinced me to order a Cybertruck have been eclipsed by better offerings on other trucks that, you know, exist.

Full self driving is now available on the Sierra. There are several electric trucks available from leading manufacturers that have established channels for repairs/maintenance/parts. Not to mention Musk’s eccentricities have diluted whatever perception people have of him as a technological savant. Much of the speculation that has led to a high stock price will diminish as people begin to notice Tesla hasn’t really delivered on much of anything they have promised in the last few years, nor have they made any significant or meaningful iterations of their existing models.

I do think electric cars are the future. They’ll eventually be cheaper to mass produce and maintain over time, and I think their reliability will sway most consumers as batteries and charge times improve. Tesla, however, seems to have missed their window and the competition is building on their lessons learned.
Sponsored

BearPatrol

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Ford has made this whole reservation/ordering experience absolutely awful. But when ever I'm feeling down about it, I go over to the Cybertruck Owners forum to cheer up & feel better about everything.

voxel

Heritage
First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach-E 4X, 23 GC Limited
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

There's a reason that Tesla is raking in huge profits and Ford LOST $2 billion last year. Ford has some great products but is one of the worst, most inefficiently run companies in the industry. Dealerships, as a whole, are an outdated concept. In decades past, people went to dealerships to learn about and see the current model lineup and be educated on various features, take a test drive, and get assistance in ordering a vehicle. But, let's face it. Today, with the internet and youtube, the average consumer knows more about a companies products than the average salesman, sales manager or general manager of a dealership. I still haven't received my Bronco after nearly a year and a half and, all along the way, I've been educating my salesman and sales manager on the Ford Bronco. I had to educate my sales manager about the private offer certificate I was due. He claimed to never had heard of them. Explain to me why we need dealerships? All they do is create a middleman and increase prices.
Americans love their bureaucracy and waste. Healthcare here has an 8% overhead (highest in the world) for paper pushers (admin). Everybody needs their cut. Dealerships are not going away. It's not very American.

Sherminiator

Big Bend
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

While I'm not defending dealerships, they still have a place in today's market-there are lots of people who can't or won't be bothered when it comes to ordering a car.

The other issue with Telsa is what are they going to do as more of their products are on the road and need servicing? I know locally they built what they are calling a "car store" for sales and servicing. They are going to have to improve their infrastructure going forward to support their vehicles.

What i see happening in the future is that many dealerships are going to consolidate-is there really a need to have 5-10 Ford dealerships in a 25 mile radius, like they are where I live? I'm guessing with BEVs more local home repair options will be a thing, due to ease of troubleshooting and less parts needed on hand to repair them. Major repairs would need to be taken care of at a dealership or service station.

Hopefully with that consolidation, things will change on the business end of things, which is primary problem people have with dealerships...car sales people have to meet quotas and often the quality of the sale people aren't the greatest.

OP
OP

EveryDayBronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Motorcycle
Your Bronco Model
Base
. I went to Burger King and ordered a Whopper with cheese. Sure enough two minutes later I got a Whopper with cheese. Ford you listening?

And before you walked in did you what the whopper was going to cost???

"Thank you for you order Mr USAGuy, and since it's busier today than yesterday we're charging you $17 additional fast-food-markup!"

Sponsored

MNBigfoot

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
And before you walked in did you what the whopper was going to cost???

"Thank you for you order Mr USAGuy, and since it's busier today than yesterday we're charging you $17 additional fast-food-markup!"
If they charged me more for a burger than we agreed on, it would still be there, no different than my Bronco.

Newdoc

Wildtrak
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
The generations that will be purchasing vehicles in the next decade are the ones that will respond to the Tesla sales model much more than the traditional dealer model. I have been buying and selling cars for decades, and still try to avoid the dealership as much as possible because it’s such an adversarial and purposely confusing process for the average consumer. My Bronco is the first vehicle that I have even come close to purchasing at MSRP.

While I don’t think you can compare the bronco to the Tesla directly, including the cyber truck, I think you can look at the antiquated model that Ford and the legacy auto makers are using for their companies, and know that they are in serious trouble without the continual government intervention into their businesses.

OP
OP

EveryDayBronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Motorcycle
Your Bronco Model
Base
I just put $100 deposit on the cybertruck.

There is no delivery date expectation and I know that going into it so I accept it is what is is, but it's also only $100 refundable deposite.

My bronco order deposit was cheapest I found within reasonable driving distance which was $500 refundable, MSRP was $29,300, and implied delivery expectation was 3-6 months.

It took 12 months, and MSRP went up to $30,090.

I don't like the looks of the cybertruck and honestly don't have a use for it but I'm considering it a low-risk investment.

OP
OP

EveryDayBronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Motorcycle
Your Bronco Model
Base
If they charged me more for a burger than we agreed on, it would still be there, no different than my Bronco.
You're OK being charged more than stated amount??? I DON'T BELIEVE YOU!

Deb68nc

Outer Banks
First Name
Debra
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I have a good friend that ordered her Tesla the same time i ordered my bronco (11/21) and even though she got hers before me her date was pushed over and over and she finally got it summer of 22. And when she received it her whole roof was cracked :/

Sponsored

Sherminiator

Big Bend
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I think you can look at the antiquated model that Ford and the legacy auto makers are using for their companies, and know that they are in serious trouble without the continual government intervention into their businesses.

Car manufacturers can not sell directly to consumers because most states have laws that prohibit it. The idea behind these laws is that dealerships increase competition, are better at satisfying the customer, and benefit local communities.
The real issue is the rise of dealer conglomerates like Lithia, etc that own many dealerships that basically punts whatever good idea they had in the 1950s with protecting the little guy from the big bad auto makers.

Most automakers would rather sell directly because of all the issues franchised dealerships cause. It would allow better policing of pricing and customer service, vs the current model of people getting begged to give a dealership a 5 star rating.

OP
OP

EveryDayBronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Motorcycle
Your Bronco Model
Base
While I don’t think you can compare the bronco to the Tesla directly, including the cyber truck, I think you can look at the antiquated model that Ford and the legacy auto makers are using for their companies, and know that they are in serious trouble without the continual government intervention into their businesses.
^^^ that's the point of this topic.

Even with governmental intervention, they'll have to adapt because as the population learns of a better way to do it these dealers will continue to lose sales to the tesla's of the world.

It's matter of adapting or becoming extinct!

KirchTX

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I'm not sure why dealers came into existence, but I do know why they continue to exist: political corruption. The dealer model is enshrined into law and protected by dealer lobby groups that buy off politicians who might otherwise change the system.
Sponsored