Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Brono Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Hi All. I'm one of the many waiting for order banks to re-open to place my order. I already submitted a "pre-order" to my dealer so it goes straight in once the banks open. I'm now questioning if I want to upgrade to the Badlands from an Outer Banks. There are a few key differences I've noticed that could cost me more in the long run. Based on the Ford configurator these are some noticeable differences (and key features I want). Anyone able to confirm/advise would be great as so many of you are much more knowledgeable about the features of this truck than me and what I've read.

- Fender flares and wing mirrors are painted on the Outer Banks but are black plastic on the Badlands
- Automatic transmission is standard on the OB but manual is standard on the BL. Automatic is an additional cost.
- Black leather seats are available on the BL, but the OB has only two fabric/leather & vinyl trim color options, neither of which I'm fond of. I like the black leather (why isn't black an option for every model?)
- The rearview mirror on the OB is auto dim. On the BL the configurator says it is a 'manual day/night rearview mirror'. What the hell is the difference?
- Powder coated tube step is standard on OB, not on BL. With BL I can opt for a removable hoop step, otherwise there's no step.
- Carpeted mats seem to be available as standard, however I've not seen any photos that verify this. Just rubber lined footwells. Am I missing something?
- The Bronco in general has grab handles on the dash and not above the seats. Are there screw/mounting points to install after-market grab handles?

My order difference equates to a couple hundred bucks different a month in payments, so I appreciate any help that gets me in a place to commit to the OB or change my "pre-order".
Sponsored

OP
OP

thisisliam

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Brono Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Also, with the BL does anyone know if I can delete features (such as the auxiliary switches)? I'm aware Ford has introduced options to delete features but haven't seen if the switches are one of them.

tobands

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco OBX , 2014 Escape Titaimium
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
The roast / black leather looks better then you think.. On the OBX the aux switches is a option.. BTW leather seats is the only way to get adjustable head rests

tobands

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco OBX , 2014 Escape Titaimium
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Also if you plan to add any lights the aux switches are a must have and many have regretted not getting them

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Rubber flooring with carpet mats is standard in the BL. Carpet in carpet is standard in the OBX. Opting for leather in the BL gets you carpet on carpet. Leather is the only way to get power seats. I believe the headliner needs to be added to the a MIC BL where it is standard on the OBX. You can probably find a pair of take-off steps for cheap in the member marketplace.

Edit. I should also ask, what is your intended use for the Bronco? Squatch or no? A non-Squatch BL has much much better capabilities than a non-Squatch OBX.

And finally, if non-Squatch OBX you may want to consider the advanced transfer case.

Last edited:

Sponsored

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Rubber flooring with carpet mats is standard in the BL. Carpet in carpet is standard in the OBX. Opting for leather in the BL gets you carpet on carpet. Leather is the only way to get power seats. I believe the headliner needs to be added to the a MIC BL where it is standard on the OBX. You can probably find a pair of take-off steps for cheap in the member marketplace.

Edit. I should also ask, what is your intended use for the Bronco? Squatch or no? A non-Squatch BL has much much better capabilities than a non-Squatch OBX.

And finally, if non-Squatch OBX you may want to consider the advanced transfer case.
Also, power seats are only available on the 4 door Bronco, not the 2 door.

Also, while a non-sasquatch OBX (assuming advanced 4x4) and non-sasquatch BL are different and the non-sasquatch BL is more capable; I don't think that it's so much better as to ignore the OBX.

The biggest differences are the front locker, suspension, and sway bar disconnect.

While not perfect, traction control in the Bronco can mitigate some of the advantages that a front locker offers. The Badlands suspension is definitely better off-road, but isn't as plush on-road. The sway bar disconnect can be emulated with a wrench.

So the biggest advantage is the front locker, as the suspension is easy to swap and so is dropping the sway bar. When you do need a front locker, nothing short of it is better. The Badlands is better, but only when you actually get into conditions where you can take advantage of the extra capability. The advanced 4x4 OBX is insanely capable to begin with.

Last edited:

sasquatches

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrx
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Why are you thinking about deleting the aux switches?

Get the aux switches no matter what you choose. It is a very cheap option and will save you so much time and cost down the road. Even if you think you are not going to install anything right now, you might change your mind in the future when it arrives.

sasquatches

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrx
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I was in the same boat last year. I didn't like OBX interior color option and I was not sure if I needed the add weight of BL for offroad capability. So, I went with Wildtrak in the end to get Sasquatch and the 2.7

Stxflyer

Outer Banks
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Outer Banks Sas Lux Tow Leather
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Im Going to have to second that. The Roast/Black leather interior in NICE. Kinda cigar bar classy;)

prospectfour

Outer Banks
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco, '18 Tiguan
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Why are you thinking about deleting the aux switches?

Get the aux switches no matter what you choose. It is a very cheap option and will save you so much time and cost down the road. Even if you think you are not going to install anything right now, you might change your mind in the future when it arrives.
*puts on flame suit*

The sunglasses holder has been infinitely more useful for me in a vehicle with already limited storage.

Edit: optional rear locker is a no brainer on a non-sas obx. Great value at $795 for the capability you receive.

Sponsored

ā€˜21OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco outer banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Get the aux switches the sunglasses holder is chit. Mine broke two weeks in.
big differences between the two.
did you opt for the rear locker in the OBX? If not youā€™re getting open diff 3.73 gear ratio. If you opted for the rear locker you get 4.27. The advanced transfer case gives you the 4a(think awd) if you didnā€™t select it you just have 2h,4h and 4lo.
the badlands standard has 4.46 gear ratio(if automatic) 4.7 if manual transthe front and rear locker and electronic sway bar disc. Better shocks and 33ā€ tires.
OBX 32ā€ street tires no standard lockers or disco
Myself I hate the carpet but if you want leather BL comes with carpet so itā€™s a moot point.
it all comes down to your intended use. If you are going to be 95% street and rarely Iā€™d ever go off road the OBX is fine to great (I have an OBX and wish I would have held out and ordered a badlands instead of buying a non sas OBX off the lot)
Both are nice but Iā€™d youā€™re not going to off road a decent amount of time the BL is not worth it but will imo hold better value down the road.

OP
OP

thisisliam

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Brono Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

*puts on flame suit*

The sunglasses holder has been infinitely more useful for me in a vehicle with already limited storage.
this was my thought process too.

I feel like I need to see the black/roast leather interior in person, but I know thatā€™s a stretch finding one on a lot. The seats themselves donā€™t bother me, but based on photos I think the dash and door accents are sort of ugly. Iā€™m open to being pleasantly surprised.

If I delete the aux switches does the sun glass holder come standard? Also still confused about the rear view mirror features on the BL.

OP
OP

thisisliam

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Brono Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Get the aux switches the sunglasses holder is chit. Mine broke two weeks in.
big differences between the two.
did you opt for the rear locker in the OBX? If not youā€™re getting open diff 3.73 gear ratio. If you opted for the rear locker you get 4.27. The advanced transfer case gives you the 4a(think awd) if you didnā€™t select it you just have 2h,4h and 4lo.
the badlands standard has 4.46 gear ratio(if automatic) 4.7 if manual transthe front and rear locker and electronic sway bar disc. Better shocks and 33ā€ tires.
OBX 32ā€ street tires no standard lockers or disco
Myself I hate the carpet but if you want leather BL comes with carpet so itā€™s a moot point.
it all comes down to your intended use. If you are going to be 95% street and rarely Iā€™d ever go off road the OBX is fine to great (I have an OBX and wish I would have held out and ordered a badlands instead of buying a non sas OBX off the lot)
Both are nice but Iā€™d youā€™re not going to off road a decent amount of time the BL is not worth it but will imo hold better value down the road.
it will be primarily street use. In the years Iā€™ve had jeeps I think Iā€™ve been off-road once, so off-road features arenā€™t a necessity for me.

Djstang2011

Badlands
First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang GT, 2021 Bronco Badlands 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
- The rearview mirror on the OB is auto dim. On the BL the configurator says it is a 'manual day/night rearview mirror'. What the hell is the difference?

OBX comes standard with mid package that includes the auto dim rearview mirror.

On Badlands the mid package is an option that will add the auto dim mirror.

The OBX interior looks better in person than it does in pictures.
One of the reasons I went Badlands was for the grill that matches the hardtop color. I don't care for a shiny black grill that doesn't match anything else on the Bronco. (lots of people will disagree with me on this)

ā€˜21OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco outer banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

it will be primarily street use. In the years Iā€™ve had jeeps I think Iā€™ve been off-road once, so off-road features arenā€™t a necessity for me.
Oh and mirror is just that auto sun you donā€™t have to touch anything. Manual you flip the tab like on everything until the mid 2000ā€™s

Then itā€™s down to budget and looks lol. We have one of each grey/navy and the roast/black. I like both the seat colors lol but donā€™t care for the roast dash myself. If you arenā€™t going to use the equipment on the BL save the $$ imo. We use the heck out of ours off-road at least once a month we try to get out and Iā€™ve got front locker envy lol. I didnā€™t think I needed it but am realizing I should have got a badlands with wash our floors and the front locker. Oh well. The OBX is still very capable in stock trim the tube steps drag on stuff off road. The steps are very robust tho! And keep some rocks and dirt from hitting the side of the Bronco.
Sponsored