First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Sorry if I missed this in the 45 pages or somewhere else on the forum, but other than cloth seating options, seat colors, the grille, the standard wheels, the "regular" suspension, and the body color trim, are there any features (standard or optional) of the OBX that are not available on BL?
The painted body parts are OB only.

I can't think of anything else that can't be chalked up to styling differences that you mentioned.

Generally, the higher-up trims include/allow whatever was standard/available on the lower trims.
Sponsored

VegasKoop

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln MKS
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Sorry if I missed this in the 45 pages or somewhere else on the forum, but other than cloth seating options, seat colors, the grille, the standard wheels, the "regular" suspension, and the body color trim, are there any features (standard or optional) of the OBX that are not available on BL?
You can't get 18s or 255s on the BL. Oh wait, you mentioned those already.

The interior (which I think is the best with obx) and lack of need for off-road upgrades, is what keeps me from moving up

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Besides what Tim mentioned on the body color parts (flares, mirrors, door handles), the OBX also has carpet vs. Badlands is washout.

Sponsored

Big Boss

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I'm 99% sure on OBX. My OBX build is about 2400 more than my BB build. Both equipped virtually the same but the OBX has the advanced 4x4, so that + the body painted pieces and nicer looming interior have me leaning that way

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I'm 99% sure on OBX. My OBX build is about 2400 more than my BB build. Both equipped virtually the same but the OBX has the advanced 4x4, so that + the body painted pieces and nicer looming interior have me leaning that way
I've been all over the place. Back in the summer, I was looking at BL. But in short order, I started to settle on the BD. Eventually, I was firmly in BB camp and was content. I've always been tempted with the Base and just build it out with all the money saved. But the reality is that even with all the money saved, I don't have the time nor the patience. Then there was the one compelling reason to look at the OBX and that was access to the High package. I need the 12" screen. OBX provides the lowest cost entry point to access the High package. Now, I'm settled on the OBX. It is just a matter of optioning it the way I want.

jaruss01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XC90 T6 R-Design / 2020 S60 T6 AWD
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
As each day progresses I am a step closer to a BL. I want a loaded OBX with 2.7 lux, aux, liners, steel bumpers, higher gearing and rear lockers It WAS under 1000 less than a BL 2.7 lux with MGV (no power seats). Now it’s about 2,300 less after they fixed the pricing on the BL tranny. But even then, I still have doubts over going OBX. upgrading tires, and possibly wheels with now exceeds BL pricing. Tack on any future suspension mods and I’m way under water on the OBX compared to the BL. That’s exacerbated even more when you consider resale on a BL.

so my heart is telling me an OBX for the interior with minor upgrades. But my brain is saying Badlands. Then maybe black vinyl wrap grill, white vinyl wrap center dash, and paint handles and mirrors AMB on the BL. I’ll have C load tires instead of E load tire upgrade on OBX. It just seems like a lesser path of resistance even though the BL pricing increased and OBX stayed the same. Not for nothing but an OBX with steel bumpers, bash plates and 57 lb E load tires may be less efficient than a BL with 50 lb C load. So I could be kicking myself there too. And again, this is all underlined with the fact that resale on a BL would be much better than a loaded customized OBX, as well as the fact that I have concerns over a delayed day 1 ressie with a unique OBX build compared to a straightforward lux BL.

just my thoughts at the moment. I feel like as time progresses between now and March, ill lean more and more towards the BL

Last edited:

StedeBonnett

Outer Banks
First Name
Geno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT, 2020 Subaru Forester Touring
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I started out OBX, then went backward> Base, BB, BD, then built a WIldtrack and a Badlands.
I have several filters I've been applying to my choice of Bronco.

1) My romantic attachment to my Grandfather's 76' Red Bronco
2) This will be a long-term partnership (I don't see myself selling this truck)
3) My wife wants input in the decision (automatic, creature comforts)
4) Lifestyle (living in the south, our Bronco will be for road adventures, Overlanding, trails, and beaches)
5) I want a vintage look

The more time I spend looking at the 70's Bronco's the more content I feel about the OBX. If it was another time in my life I'd go BD without any reservations.

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
As each day progresses I am a step closer to a BL. I want a loaded OBX with 2.7 lux, aux, liners, steel bumpers, higher gearing and rear lockers
It's tough, for sure. I'd like an Outer Lands. Or is it Bad Banks? Kind of a mix of the two. I don't need all the off-road chops of the BL, but would want some of the things it has that OB doesn't. By the time I configure OB with leather, aux switches and advanced 4x4, BL isn't a ton more, but with the extra hardware that might be more desirable if for some reason we wanted to sell it (which is not in the plan). It gets even closer if I opt an OB with the steel bumper. For me, the main thing that brings the costs closer together is that with OB I'd have to get leather, but with BL, I think I would stick to the MGV.

Sponsored

Calypso

Heritage
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cadillac CTS
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

TL;DR: I'm getting an Outer Banks now.

I have tried to keep logic in the forefront to finalize a spec while navigating the twists and turns of the B&P saga. To date, I have posted self-congratulatory announcements of my infallible thinking in these threads for BB, then BD, Base-Man-Squatch, and BB Squatch.

Yet, today, here I am. What happened, I ask? I have no past relationship with an EB to turn to, it has been pointed out to me in this forum (gently yet accurately) that I will not need the Sasquatch capability, and the B&P wheel of fortune falls apart each time it is spun (there might be a pun in there). So why OB? After weeks of ceaseless navel-gazing, it's because:

1. I feel I need/want Mid package, Advanced 4x4 control, and a rear locking differential, all at the same time, without the Sasquatch package. Rules out Base, Big Bend, Badlands, Wildtrak.
2. I do not want a predominantly (light) gray interior. My presence in the vehicle will be enough gray already. This is the only thing that rules out Black Diamond for me.
3. I long to understand the engineering challenges that were overcome by Ford to allow the Mid pkg to exist with a manual transmission in the Badlands spec, since it obviously is not physically possible in any of the lower trims (full disclosure - this is my primary chafe with all of B&P).
4. I want a painted hardtop, not picky about gloss black vs body color at this point. When the delayed availability of the black top was confirmed by Ford, availability was restricted to OB, BL and WT trims. Yet today I can spec a painted top on the Big Bend and Black Diamond builds (worth it at twice the price, and the 'RockStars' made sure of it!). Did I miss some news about this? I don't want the disappointment if/when the B&P corrects this inconsistency.
5. The roast/onyx cloth interior pictures look really good. Presume it will come with the roast/bronze dash. I will also appreciate the tube steps. Will not complain about the body-colored wheel flares.

So - Outer Banks, 2 door, V6, advanced 4x4, rear locker, painted modular (black) top, aux switches, Rapid Red, Roast/Onyx cloth interior. Replace wheels/tires with 17's down the road sometime. Way more than a RAV4, and I don't want to deal with 35s.

I feel better now - thanks for listening!

jaruss01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XC90 T6 R-Design / 2020 S60 T6 AWD
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Another key consideration for guys with a Day 1 Reservation and the OBX. That build to me was always designated as the "polished" look - black mod top, painted everything etc. Given what unfolded, I personally dont want to delay my build to get a mod top. Going away from the OBX with unpainted flares compliments the MIC top, and I wont be chasing the mod top. If I get an OBX, sure I'll tell myself today that I could live with the MIC top, but i'm sure it's only a matter of time that I shell out $3k to get a MOD top, and sell the MIC for pennies on the dollar. I dont think I would be chasing after a mod top with unpainted flares on say a BD or BL.

firefox33

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

100% OB with Lux, Black Mod Top, probably Onyx/Roast but can’t decide on color! Rapid Red, Carbonized Grey or Iconic Silver for me but my wife wants Cactus Grey or Area 51.

Calypso

Heritage
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cadillac CTS
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Another key consideration for guys with a Day 1 Reservation and the OBX. That build to me was always designated as the "polished" look - black mod top, painted everything etc. Given what unfolded, I personally dont want to delay my build to get a mod top.
I've thought about the delay for the painted top as well - but since switched to a Grangetober resv, so I'm waiting to get mine for awhile anyway.

I saw the MIC top at Super Celebration East, and I can't see 'liking it forever' enough to not wait for a painted top. I envision future MIC top takeoffs eventually in use as home-made rural school bus stop shelters.

OT to jaruss01 : immeasurable thanx to you for your wheel geometry analysis work! Seeing your results helped me move off of the Sasquatch requirement, as I had preferred the lesser +30 wheel offset. With the OB I will look at replacement wheels with offset +45 or so, to 'fill up' the wheel wells a bit.

Last edited:

_finack

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Lincoln MKZ
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Another key consideration for guys with a Day 1 Reservation and the OBX. That build to me was always designated as the "polished" look - black mod top, painted everything etc. Given what unfolded, I personally dont want to delay my build to get a mod top. Going away from the OBX with unpainted flares compliments the MIC top, and I wont be chasing the mod top. If I get an OBX, sure I'll tell myself today that I could live with the MIC top, but i'm sure it's only a matter of time that I shell out $3k to get a MOD top, and sell the MIC for pennies on the dollar. I dont think I would be chasing after a mod top with unpainted flares on say a BD or BL.
If it matters, I've seen claims that the MIC top is gray molded in while the unpainted flares, mirrors, and handles are black molded in. I'm not sure why that would be the case, but that's what I read.

If I can find the thread that these claims were made in, I will edit with the link.

Edit: Source
Sponsored

Last edited: