toughtoaster

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT, 2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
What I mostly hear with these tuning arguments and threads is "I am daily driving my off-road vehicle and want it to be fast on the freeway!"..... And I can't help but wonder why on earth you need a bronco instead of a sedan that fits the wife and kids more comfortably.

^ This is what I think of when people say they want their Bronco to go fast
Sponsored

OP
OP
CobraKaiSG

CobraKaiSG

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi TTS
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
The best parts that apply to Bronco are copy/paste below. Please know that, i'm all for tuning a vehicle specifically to it's intended use and was involved in tuning my track-prepped Evo IX for each track configuration.

However, these tunes which are going for HP/TQ gains are counter to what you're going to want to tune for in driving these things off-road (exception being for the Wildtrack folks who are actually on dunes and running WOT constantly)

These tunes are going to seriously mess with your low/part throttle modulation, low speed control and the like. Tuning these engines, or the need for the 2.7 at all for that matter, is to directly go against the very purposes you're buying a Bronco instead of a F150, Raptor, Ranger or subcompact commute car for.

• Tire size configurable up to 265/70/17 as recommended with the M-18000-R Ranger Off-Road Suspension Leveling Kit
  • Premium fuel - 91 octane or higher - is required
Towing not recommended.

What I mostly hear with these tuning arguments and threads is "I am daily driving my off-road vehicle and want it to be fast on the freeway!"..... And I can't help but wonder why on earth you need a bronco instead of a sedan that fits the wife and kids more comfortably.
I live in NY near the city- we don't have much trails or rock crawling around here although i intend to try to find what little we do have! i won't be doing much off roading, maybe more like some trails and camping but mostly for me i come at the bronco purchase from a different angle- I like the utility of it compared to the sports car i drive now and i have always had convertibles and love that i can get an SUV where the top comes off. and i've had muscle cars and sports cars all my life so i can't get rid of that part of me that wants more HP!

Blksn955.o

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Ford Escape Ti, 94 Ford Mustang GT, 21 BL
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The best parts that apply to Bronco are copy/paste below. Please know that, i'm all for tuning a vehicle specifically to it's intended use and was involved in tuning my track-prepped Evo IX for each track configuration.

However, these tunes which are going for HP/TQ gains are counter to what you're going to want to tune for in driving these things off-road (exception being for the Wildtrack folks who are actually on dunes and running WOT constantly)

These tunes are going to seriously mess with your low/part throttle modulation, low speed control and the like. Tuning these engines, or the need for the 2.7 at all for that matter, is to directly go against the very purposes you're buying a Bronco instead of a F150, Raptor, Ranger or subcompact commute car for.

• Tire size configurable up to 265/70/17 as recommended with the M-18000-R Ranger Off-Road Suspension Leveling Kit
Towing not recommended.

I would kind of disagree a little here. Ford has a history of using an offset or delay in throttle response (granted more so at WOT but also I believe at high load but not necessarily WOT). For example going WOT you only get 90-95% and the computer eases into the rest. Many tunes do away with this and I can see that delay being frustrating. Also in adjusting for more hp and trq under the curve sooner can help with getting more umph at a lower rpm. I think a little improvement in getting power out sooner and more of it in the usable power curve along with it not being interfered with by the eec is good.

Now for the throttle jockey who just wants to go fast...100% agree this thing will be fine out the gate.

rtaylor

Badlands
First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19Raptor, 22Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Is Livernois the one that only flashes the engine and can't tune the transmission?
Livernois is the supplier for FPP Ranger tune. Probably also Bronco. I think FPP tune may be less aggressive, however. Definitely engine & trans. CARB compliant because they do not change emissions tuning.

Tunes usually only affect Normal and Sport modes. In rockcrawl goat mode, the throttle response will still be sluggish as desired. The lack of "tow" isn't a concern for Bronco, since limited to #3500.

Judge Rufus

Banned
Wildtrak
Banned
Banned
First Name
Wheeler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Infiniti QX80, GMC Sierra, Mercedes SLK32 AMG,
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
"I am daily driving my off-road vehicle and want it to be fast on the freeway!"..... And I can't help but wonder why on earth you need a bronco instead of a sedan that fits the wife and kids more comfortably.
Ford Bronco Performance pack tune 1612396144794

Sponsored

DrewBronc21

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Subaru STi, 2018 Camry Hybrid
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Towing not recommended.

almost all Broncos will be driven on the street 95% of the time. I would gladly trade some “low end control”for an extra 100hp and torque. My subbies Always picked up much better low end with mods/tunes.

ET13

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak

Towing not recommended.

I keep seeing people say things like this but who cares. It's not yours so don't concern yourself with what people what to do with their bronco.

OP
OP
CobraKaiSG

CobraKaiSG

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi TTS
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I get the idea of the response to my thread - why look for HP gains in an off road oriented vehicle but i also think we shouldn't use the "why do you need a bronco..." argument because it's kind of similar to the "why do you need a firearm" or "why do you need a sports car". I get it though- these aren't "on road" performance vehicles- it's not a wrong point but in my case i'm going to be a mostly on-road user, hence my OBX build, and i like the styling, utility, and the fact that it's a convertible SUV! I suppose a murano cross cab convertible also hits on a couple of those things but let's not go there!!

Sponsored

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ram Rebel, '07 A4 Quattro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Whatever ya do, first upgrade the Intercooler, Charge Pipes and include an Oil Catch Can for safety and longevity purposes

OP
OP
CobraKaiSG

CobraKaiSG

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi TTS
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Livernois is the supplier for FPP Ranger tune. Probably also Bronco. I think FPP tune may be less aggressive, however. Definitely engine & trans. CARB compliant because they do not change emissions tuning.
this makes sense- a less intense livernois tune at the end of the day. sounds like it should be a really good bang for the buck mod with the 2.7 especially- really looking forward to it

csj

Outer Banks
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Tacoma OR
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I think a lot of people want a vehicle that's decent off road, and can still put some miles down on the highway, and also tow something at the tow limit of the vehicle on a long uphill, and not have to slow down to 35 mph or whatever. There are a lot of long, steep highway uphills here in Kali, for those in my 17' Tacoma, even without any trailer, I have to hold it in a gear (auto trans.) to maintain highway speeds. FWIW, last fall coming back to the bay area from Glacier Park; in south Idaho and most of north Nevada, the speed limit was 80, everyone was going about 88. We went hours with the cruise set at 88, only slowed down when the limit changed. I'm waiting on owners reports for whether a 2.7 4 door Bronco, no sasquatch, can cruise at 88 with no issues. I'm also waiting for owner's reports at how the same Bronco does at towing close to 3500 lbs. To each their own, but I wouldn't even consider the 2.3, and if I wind up buying a Bronco in 2022 or whenever, I'll add whatever performance parts are available to make the 2.7 better. Adequate power for when the load in the vehicle is maxed out with people, dogs, and gear, or when towing something heavy, comes in real handy.

Gtrekker

Wildtrak
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Braptor, Audi, M1102 Overland Trailer 2-B
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Until the production Bronco's hit the street and the tuning companies get their hands on them, Wait.... the upgraded performance parts that will come out you want the ECU program to match & optimize the what you have or added. I'm thinking fall 2021 there should be some nice kits out there. Till then it's exhaust, tires, lights, etc...

Bronc-itis

Base
First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Q50 (bronco soon)
Your Bronco Model
Base
These tunes are going to seriously mess with your low/part throttle modulation, low speed control and the like.
This statement isnt true at all and shows a lack of knowledge regarding throttle input and pedal mapping.

Tuning these engines, or the need for the 2.7 at all for that matter, is to directly go against the very purposes you're buying a Bronco instead of a F150, Raptor, Ranger or subcompact commute car for.
*opinion (an unpopular/ill-informed one)

Why concern yourself long enough to pass judgment? You’re more than welcome to be happy with a stock tune. Mediocre isn’t a crime. But don’t preach it like it’s better because people aren’t competing with it in Baja.
Sponsored