Plan B

Dschack89

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Duramax
I have a hard time coming up with a plan B for this thing. Even with the couple specs that are "confirmed" I dont think Id be as happy with something else. But because quarantine heres my thoughts about some of the competition (new cars only)

1. 4runner- stone cold reliable, excellent aftermarket support but archaic tech and underpowered with the 4.0L v6 and 5 speed auto. No manual available
2. Wrangler- high stakes Lego's, every aftermarket company under the moon makes stuff for these things. Anemic v6, i hate the e-torque thing, but is offered with manual trans. JL riddled with issues so reliability alone kills it for me
3. Ranger- affordable and the 2.3T/10 speed is solid and offers plenty of power, id like to see the manual make its way over but as of now not an option. Not as much aftermarket support, personally not a big fan of the styling, rear seat doesnt have as much room as id like.

I dont think Land Rovers or Land Cruisers are really competition, youre barely touching a base model of either for what a high end Bronco is thought to be available for.

Agree, disagee, thoughts? Im bored so lets discuss lol

securitysix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I have a hard time coming up with a plan B for this thing. Even with the couple specs that are "confirmed" I dont think Id be as happy with something else. But because quarantine heres my thoughts about some of the competition (new cars only)

1. 4runner- stone cold reliable, excellent aftermarket support but archaic tech and underpowered with the 4.0L v6 and 5 speed auto. No manual available
2. Wrangler- high stakes Lego's, every aftermarket company under the moon makes stuff for these things. Anemic v6, i hate the e-torque thing, but is offered with manual trans. JL riddled with issues so reliability alone kills it for me
3. Ranger- affordable and the 2.3T/10 speed is solid and offers plenty of power, id like to see the manual make its way over but as of now not an option. Not as much aftermarket support, personally not a big fan of the styling, rear seat doesnt have as much room as id like.

I dont think Land Rovers or Land Cruisers are really competition, youre barely touching a base model of either for what a high end Bronco is thought to be available for.

If your only hangup on the 4Runner is the lack of a stick shift, the Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport is available with a 6-speed manual.

Evanm14

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda CX-5, Ford F150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

This is a question that I spend a lot of time thinking about. There is literally nothing on the market in the fast, off road focused, 2 door suv space. And there hasn't really been since my Pajero Evolution.

If I did NEED to get rid of my PajEvo and the Bronco doesn't pan out, there's a few different possibilities I've thought about but none are perfect. Here's my working sheet:
  • 2009 Porsche Cayenne Transsyberia
    • Fast and pretty good off-road (diff lock, GTS 405hp V8, adjustable suspension)
    • Too big for my liking
    • Expensive to maintain
  • Subaru Forester XT
    • Most common vehicle for the events I do
    • Needs durability improvements (reinforcements etc)
    • Needs performance improvements (STI gearbox, rear lsd, etc)
    • Still bigger than I'd like, first couple generations aren't too bad but then have bad interiors and tech
  • Subaru Impreza WRX STI
    • Needs raised rally suspension, high clearance bumpers etc
    • Difficult to fit decent A/T tires on
    • Newer ones look kinda silly raised up and older ones have bad interiors and tech
    • Good performance, front and rear LSD stock
  • New Land Rover Defender 90
    • Expensive to buy and probably to maintain
    • Heavy
    • Probably will perform reasonably well
  • Ranger Raptor (assuming we get one here and it has a not-garbage engine)
    • Good performance
    • Waay longer than I'd like
  • 2005+ Land Cruiser Prado 3 door, 4.0V6, manual trans
    • Good size
    • Mods are available (same suspension as an FJ Cruiser)
    • Performance mods are plentiful for the 1GR-FE V6 (ie: factory supercharger)
    • Still JDM so finding body parts might be annoying
    • Would need upgraded shocks + added LSDs
  • Newer (2000+) Mitsubishi Pajero 3 door
    • Good size
    • Later generations had IFS/IRS similar in design to the Evo, good for high speed
    • Would need more performance from the 6G75, maybe figuring out turbos
    • Would need upgraded shocks + added LSDs
    • Not a lot of aftermarket support in north america
  • Just buy another 1997/8 Pajero Evolution
    • Works perfectly for competition!
    • Parts getting increasingly difficult to find
    • 0 aftermarket support whatsoever
    • Still has 90s tech
Defender 90 would be really nice to have. Why not the new Wrangler 2 door?

Last edited:

Sponsored

Dschack89

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Duramax
If your only hangup on the 4Runner is the lack of a stick shift, the Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport is available with a 6-speed manual.
Ours will pull family duty so the Tacoma is on the same page as the Ranger, back seat is a little small and an SUV works better for throwing the dog and gear in (not to mention groceries lmao). My wife would prefer a manual and so would I but its not a hard stop.

securitysix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Ours will pull family duty so the Tacoma is on the same page as the Ranger, back seat is a little small and an SUV works better for throwing the dog and gear in (not to mention groceries lmao). My wife would prefer a manual and so would I but its not a hard stop.
Fair enough. I know people have complained about the back seat even in the crew cab Rangers. My biggest beef with the Ranger (I'd be looking at a Super Cab if I were to buy one) is the lack of under seat storage in the back.

My second biggest beef with the Ranger is that I'm not 100% sure I can fit a full rick (1/3rd of a cord) of firewood in the bed with the tailgate up. Since that's the most trucky thing I do with a truck (and I have to do it several times a year if I want my house to be warm in the winter), I might need a bed extender (or a full size truck like I have now) to keep from having to make multiple trips just for 1 rick.

Jalisurr

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'09 Corvette Z06, '97 Mitsubishi Pajero Evo
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Defender 90 would be really nice to have. Why not the new Renegade 2 door?
I haven't heard anything about a 2 door renegade?

If you mean the wrangler 2 door, then because SFA. Doesn't work well going quick.

Evanm14

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda CX-5, Ford F150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I haven't heard anything about a 2 door renegade?

If you mean the wrangler 2 door, then because SFA. Doesn't work well going quick.
Yes, meant Wrangler 2 door. What is SFA?

Sponsored

Evanm14

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda CX-5, Ford F150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

All Wranglers are pretty notorious for developing death wobble, 2 and 4 door.
Is that caused by adding a lift kit and oversized tires?

mike.s

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Undecided

i dont expect to not get the bronco but like you i have been looking at possibilities because of all the extra time on my hands. 4runner pro seems to be the logical choice. i agree about the archaic tech and underpowered but expect the new one that is coming to address these issues to maintain competitiveness. as i am waiting for the raptor version of the bronco i have time to wait and see. i currently have my 7th wrangler and want something different. have only had one ford product in my life and absolutely loved it

eatworksleepdie

Badlands
First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' Renegade, 20' Wrangler, 92' VW GTI
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The Wife has a 2020 Wrangler JL. It's been solid, with no problems. We got it September 2019. Although there is a recall right now for the clutch overheating, but we haven't experienced it. I think that's for the knuckle heads who don't know how to drive a manual and ride their clutch etc. or don't know how to take off from a stop.
The Bronco is a solid choice for me to get something "different", and not getting another Wrangler.
But if that falls through and I can't/won't get a Bronco, then possibly a Wrangler, possibly a Gladiator ,but I really am not sold on the looks of the Gladiator without heavy mods.. Other than that, I'll wait it out or look into more of a sports car and say Eff the offroad. Must be a stick or it's dead to me.
Bronco FTW!
Sponsored