Sponsored

PPF Film - Who's done it and what material?

CHALK911

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Ram 2500, 74 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I’m actually a certified installer for 6 yrs and I’ve worked with several brands of PPF. I service bodyshops too and replace them when they’ve repainted the vehicle. My preference is X-pel and my whole Bronco is currently being done in Xpel Stealth (matte finish). Any PPF is better than none. I hope when you say custom cut it means they’re cutting these as patterns. Some people know how to do custom bulk pieces but they better know how to cut that material without cutting your car. The patterns Xpel uses are exceptional of all the companies. Very precise. Their material has amazing optical clarity, self healing, etc. 3M patterns are good but at times I come across some in the bodyshops that could have been better coverage. For instance the partial hood could have gone up further. Or the fenders kinda stopped in a weird angle. 3M is a bit thicker but I’ve had to replace some and while removing the film you can see it slightly discolored. Loss of clarity. It’s a good product but a little more difficult to to install.
I’d look at them all and see what they look like at your nearest installers. Do your research on each. Xpel is probably the standard for film and patterns as they’re used worldwide and even Porsche uses them.
posting a picture of the stealth being installed. You can see the drivers door does not have PPF on it yet.
Hope this helps
Ps… in addition: Xpel’s online pricing is just a guide. Some pieces can jump in price based on difficulty of installation.
Price on this is $5,000 (full body) Plus ceramic coating everything, including the tires, tint the two windows, treat the windows and top.
Stealth cost additional to install because every edge has to be wrapped as to not see and glossy paint areas.

View attachment 260174

So are you installing it on yours, or having it installed?
I suspect you get a substantial discount on the labor and product itself.
I do a lot of DIY things, in just about any field of work, and after watching a few videos I "think" I could do this....
There is ZERO chance I'd pay 5k to have it done, but for a grand or two and I do it, that is a possibility.
Any tips you would like to share.
Sponsored

Ladyinbluebronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

So are you installing it on yours, or having it installed?
I suspect you get a substantial discount on the labor and product itself.
I do a lot of DIY things, in just about any field of work, and after watching a few videos I "think" I could do this....
There is ZERO chance I'd pay 5k to have it done, but for a grand or two and I do it, that is a possibility.
Any tips you would like to share.
I work for myself as a mobile installer and our new building just went up and the Bronco came in earlier than expected (believe it or not) So I’m having my buddy do this install and I’ll jump in to do some of it. I get all my film from him for my mobile business as I service body shops repairing PPF and other graphics, pinstripes etc. So I’ve installed it on a variety of vehicles. It is a lot and the only reason I even mentioned the price and the services are because I feel people should know they don’t have to pay $9500 for some of these jobs. I do get a substantial discount but I also respect the source and he needs to make his profit too. A mutual respect in the business.
I think you should try doing it yourself. Order some bulk film and do some practice pieces. Water is your friend with this product (warm-hot, but not scalding) use some dawn dish soap drops as lubricant (3-5 big drops in about a 2 liter bottle). Just enough to cling a bit as you spray it on the vehicle and to the back of the film. Make sure you have clean, wet fingers. Using the proper type of squeegee is important too. And even how you hold it will make a difference. But beware if you need to trim anything out. If you cut too deep you’ll cut the car. It’s tricky. Gotta know how to cut the film not the car. Air bubbles are bad. Water bubbles can be chased out or released with a pin hole. These are just a few of the important steps that they don’t teach you or show you in the videos.
I don’t mind sharing tips or tricks but not gonna lie, the hands on practice takes time to get good at. If you want to see if you can DIY may I suggest you try a section on the rockers first. If its not quite right take it off, respray and try again. If it’s too slippery you’ll need alcohol water to help lay it down. Take before and after pictures and post them for us. Best wishes

Wolfeman

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Do it yourself or pay someone else to do it, but definitely put some type of film on your door sills. Especially if you have a Sasquatch package and no step. I'm 6'2" and I can get in fairly easy but everyone else drags their feet all over the door sills.

CHALK911

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Ram 2500, 74 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I work for myself as a mobile installer and our new building just went up and the Bronco came in earlier than expected (believe it or not) So I’m having my buddy do this install and I’ll jump in to do some of it. I get all my film from him for my mobile business as I service body shops repairing PPF and other graphics, pinstripes etc. So I’ve installed it on a variety of vehicles. It is a lot and the only reason I even mentioned the price and the services are because I feel people should know they don’t have to pay $9500 for some of these jobs. I do get a substantial discount but I also respect the source and he needs to make his profit too. A mutual respect in the business.
I think you should try doing it yourself. Order some bulk film and do some practice pieces. Water is your friend with this product (warm-hot, but not scalding) use some dawn dish soap drops as lubricant (3-5 big drops in about a 2 liter bottle). Just enough to cling a bit as you spray it on the vehicle and to the back of the film. Make sure you have clean, wet fingers. Using the proper type of squeegee is important too. And even how you hold it will make a difference. But beware if you need to trim anything out. If you cut too deep you’ll cut the car. It’s tricky. Gotta know how to cut the film not the car. Air bubbles are bad. Water bubbles can be chased out or released with a pin hole. These are just a few of the important steps that they don’t teach you or show you in the videos.
I don’t mind sharing tips or tricks but not gonna lie, the hands on practice takes time to get good at. If you want to see if you can DIY may I suggest you try a section on the rockers first. If its not quite right take it off, respray and try again. If it’s too slippery you’ll need alcohol water to help lay it down. Take before and after pictures and post them for us. Best wishes
Thank you for all the insight, I appreciate it. I don't begrudge you for getting a good price, or your buddy having to make a little profit too.

Sponsored

VDPHB

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volt
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'll def post pics here for sure. I'm actually headed out of the country for a month so gonna leave it with them from 02/17 - 03/19. Daniel over at SD auto salon is pretty cool and I'm sure you can drop by while they are working on it. He showed me a white truck they were working on when I went to the shop. I'm in Little Italy and have an outer banks sasquatch so I'll be on the lookout for your badlands!
@SDBRONCO and @brokeray - Hello! I'm about to take delivery of my Bronco and am curious how your experience with SD Auto Salon went? Mind sharing here or via PM?

I'm in East Village btw, so close to both of you.

Thanks!

brokeray

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep / Rover
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
@SDBRONCO and @brokeray - Hello! I'm about to take delivery of my Bronco and am curious how your experience with SD Auto Salon went? Mind sharing here or via PM?

I'm in East Village btw, so close to both of you.

Thanks!
I ended up going with monumental workx cuz they quoted me 3500 however afterwards he said he wouldn't be able to quote that anymore to anyone else lol.

@SDBronco6 can fill you in more with sd auto salon but I know he's very happy with it. Those guys there are great and do great work.

Congrats on getting yours finally! What'd you get? From Kearny?

VDPHB

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volt
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I ended up going with monumental workx cuz they quoted me 3500 however afterwards he said he wouldn't be able to quote that anymore to anyone else lol

Congrats on getting yours finally! What'd you get? From Kearny?
Thanks for the details! Are you happy with their work and did you end up with Xpel Stealth full wrap as well? I could understand them asking for more too and can move to DM if you prefer.

Waiting for the call from KM Ford, but have an 4D A51 Badlands coming... hopefully very soon. We should make a run to Anza Borrego or something sometime...

brokeray

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep / Rover
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Nah I just went with the regular ultimate plus full wrap. But yeah Arturo there did a great job. Think I'm going back to get some uv tint done.

Down to get some local Broncos together for a run nearby.

Congrats again. Post some pics when you get it

SDBronco6

Outer Banks
First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Nah I just went with the regular ultimate plus full wrap. But yeah Arturo there did a great job. Think I'm going back to get some uv tint done.

Down to get some local Broncos together for a run nearby.

Congrats again. Post some pics when you get it
I’m really happy with the work from sd auto salon and I am down to go borrego. Although, it looks so nice I can’t imagine how I’d feel if it got fucked up! They initially quoted me like 6700 I think but I had a quote from some other shop for really cheap, like $4500. So when I was gonna back out they gave it to me for $4800. Here she is…

91A38B64-0365-4B86-8AEB-4096811BE96D.jpeg

D4D9F472-F455-47D1-9180-A6903E1C6494.jpeg

8B3AF4BA-FF3F-4F40-9192-79B67B346280.jpeg

FE8B87D5-3E9A-4AD6-BED1-962CF959EE31.jpeg

Sponsored

VDPHB

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volt
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’m really happy with the work from sd auto salon and I am down to go borrego. Although, it looks so nice I can’t imagine how I’d feel if it got fucked up! They initially quoted me like 6700 I think but I had a quote from some other shop for really cheap, like $4500. So when I was gonna back out they gave it to me for $4800. Here she is…

Ford Bronco PPF Film - Who's done it and what material? FE8B87D5-3E9A-4AD6-BED1-962CF959EE31

Ford Bronco PPF Film - Who's done it and what material? FE8B87D5-3E9A-4AD6-BED1-962CF959EE31

Thanks @SDBronco6 and @brokeray, will keep you both posted on delivery and possibly the wrap or at least possibly some PPF application. Your rigs look fantastic!

JaMaul

Badlands
First Name
Jamal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I had a shop quote me $6200 for xpel PPF. Another shop said they would do premium shield ppf, tint and ceramic coat the roof and fenders and grill for $4,300. So I'm trying to do some research on premium shield but don't see much about it. Everyone in these forums uses XPEL and 3M. How do you like it? I'm def going with the satin look.
Did you ever find any info on Premium Shield? I got a quote and they have the same PPF. What did you eventually opt for?

SDBronco6

Outer Banks
First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I went with XPEL PPF for like $5500 for a complete wrap...

FishKzor

Badlands
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I love the functionality and look of the PPF film, but am I only one that thinks the high cost doesn't justify the potential protection from very minimal rock chips, light scratches, etc?

Seems like for 1/16th of the price you can get mudflaps, hood deflector, limb risers and a ceramic coat and still experience 60% of the protection.

Unless this is just for 90-100% about aesthetics, of being "matted out" (which I am all for. LOVE the look)

brokeray

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep / Rover
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I love the functionality and look of the PPF film, but am I only one that thinks the high cost doesn't justify the potential protection from very minimal rock chips, light scratches, etc?

Seems like for 1/16th of the price you can get mudflaps, hood deflector, limb risers and a ceramic coat and still experience 60% of the protection.

Unless this is just for 90-100% about aesthetics, of being "matted out" (which I am all for. LOVE the look)

I was on the fence for that 5k and up range so when I found a place for 3500 it became worth it. Serves it's purpose well for branch rash that disappears with sun heat. However light branch rash shouldn't be scratching up paint either.
Sponsored