Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
This maybe a dealbreaker for me. Never owned a turbo before. I am not running premium in a DD. Damn it this maybe the end of my new Bronco plan.
It’s not saying you have to use premium. It’s just saying that’s how they got their max hp and torque numbers. Ford’s site still says regular is the minimum requirement. I’ll be running 87. It’s a Bronco, not a Mustang.
Sponsored

Deleted member 3063

Exactly. Every time someone says run premium to fight carbon buildup I have to chuckle. Quality brands have the same cleaning additives across the board.
Generic gas just isn't the same as brands that live on their products reputation.

BaseMod

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Frontier 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

You absolutely do not have to run premium...it's just preferred
You will be fine, you don't need 91/93 octane(premium) in an ecoboost. Run 89 (midgrade) and get some benefits of premium, and lower cost. Mid is a blend of premium and regular. I have a 89 tune in my F-150 ecoboost, been running 89 for years with no issues, and still plenty of performance. I am sure I could get more out of it with a 91/93 tune and 91/93 gas, but didn't see the point.

I DO NOT run 87 in anything, including mowers and small engines...too many frustrating times trying to start a leaf blower or power washer...with running 89 100% of the time, everything starts so much easier, and have no issues.
It’s not saying you have to use premium. It’s just saying that’s how they got their max hp and torque numbers. Ford’s site still says regular is the minimum requirement. I’ll be running 87. It’s a Bronco, not a Mustang.
Thanks for the input everybody. Will have to do some research on the numbers. If significant difference in power and gas mileage then you have to run premium. I’m not liking this at all. Why can’t they just put a damn naturally aspirated V-6 in and call it a day?

OmahaKevin

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT, 2012 Edge
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Thanks for the input everybody. Will have to do some research on the numbers. If significant difference in power and gas mileage then you have to run premium. I’m not Liking this at all. why can’t they just put a damn naturally aspirated V-6 in and call it a day? Damn this pisses me off.
It's not a boosted engine problem. The NA 5.0 Coyote in my Mustang loses ~15hp on regular fuel. Or to put it differently it gains 15hp on premium fuel. The ECU's adjust the engine based on what you're feeding it.

VelocityBronco

Badlands
First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands, F-150 FX4, Explorer Platinum
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks for the input everybody. Will have to do some research on the numbers. If significant difference in power and gas mileage then you have to run premium. I’m not Liking this at all. why can’t they just put a damn naturally aspirated V-6 in and call it a day? Damn this pisses me off.
Its not a drag car, and I don't know your intended use, but my wife drives an ecoboost Explorer, and I have driven it, runs on regular, and still puts me back in my seat if I get on it.
Can people tell the difference from Reg to Premium, sure...but does running on Regular make it a total shit vehicle and not worth driving, absolutely not. If you only run on regular, you will never know the difference anyway.

Sponsored

BaseMod

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Frontier 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Thanks for all the input going to have to think on this a while. Finally got past the idea of a 4cyl turbo and now this.

The Bronze

First Edition
First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Suzuki Samurai, 1967 Ford Bronco, 1993 Turbo Notchback, 2006 Sierra K1500, 2013 Sierra K1500, 2014 Sienna Mini-Van
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

The newer Fords can both remove (in case of knock detected) and INCREASE timing if no knock is detected. Better fuel can increase timing, which will improve performance and fuel economy. Comes down to how much right foot you like to use. Like above, use quality fuel. The PCM will learn and control the timing based on the octane detected. If you are tuned for a specific octane, ensure you are running that octane or better.

AZHUND

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 RAM 1500 5.7L 4x4, 2018 Wrangler S 3.6L
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Costco premium is my plan - if the extra 20 cents has any noticeable difference on power or MPGs (it does not on my JLU 3.6L - but does on my 5.7L HEMI and wife's crossover) I will have no hesitation paying it. Anything to up the 'smiles per miles' is worth it.

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Out here in CO...we have 85, 87 & 91. I run 85 in my f150 3.5EB daily driving and 91 when towing. In my wrangler with turbo, I have to run 91 per manufacturer. I get 18.1mpg in my f150 w/ heavy 35" MT tires and 6" lift driving 70-75mph which I think is pretty good.

Stitches1974

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

Sponsored

calgecko

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Chevy ZR2 Bison V6
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I never understood people who want to put the cheapest gas they can get in a vehicle they just spent tens of thousands of dollars on. Seriously. you're talking about a difference of about $2.00 per tank. Put the good stuff in. Get better performance AND efficiency (which actually helps offset some of the cost of the better fuel). Don't be a cheap ass.

thenewjs

Raptor
First Name
Archie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Braptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Only Shell V-Power goes into my Accord. Before my Accord I had a GMC C3 and I only put V-Power in it. All gas is the same, the difference is additive from the individual petroleum company (Shell, Exxon and ect.). Growing up in Houston, I'd witnessed all companies fill up their trucks at the same tap, then go and add their additive (or conditioner).
Sponsored