Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BaseSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I seem to be the only one wanting to paint the bolt heads silver (or simply buying silver hardware) to match the ring instead of painting the rim black...but this definitely gives me some heartburn.
Sponsored

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
The problem is mixing alloys and metal. I've worked in a specialized truck manufacturing company and you just can't mix stainless bolts with alloy. The same applies to aluminum on steel frames. You'll get oxidation in the alloy (aluminum). If the threads are cross stripped, get a machinist to install Helicoils. There are products you can use to prevent this (like anti-seize). If you can, I'd suggest you do this ASAP when you get your Bronco. This way, if you want to take the beauty rings off in a later time, you don't have any problem.

This ^^^^ . There should be steel thread inserts, and not steel bolts into aluminum threads, everyone knows how that plays out, especially without enough anti-sieze... Poorly, nearly every time, just ask any Ford 3 valve cylinder head.

2023bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
FWIW I had zero issues removing my beauty rings, painting and reinstalling. That said, I can understand how some mightā€™ve stripped a screw head removing if they didnā€™t seat the torx bit in the screw head properly while removing or reinstalling and I can see stripping a screw or wheel threads while reinstalling using power tools if one isnā€™t careful.

Expecting Ford to warranty stripped threads in the wheel isnā€™t reasonable IMO. How do they know you didnā€™t screw it up (pun intended) and are simply covering you ass? Not saying anyone on the forum is lying but what would you do it you owned your own business in todayā€˜s society?
If you treated customers the way you're talking to forum members who've dealt with this problem, you would not be in business long....

Goinwheelin

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
6G Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
This ^^^^ . There should be steel thread inserts, and not steel bolts into aluminum threads, everyone knows how that plays out, especially without enough anti-sieze... Poorly, nearly every time, just ask any Ford 3 valve cylinder head.
I did some sleuthing just a few minutes ago and removed the ring on my spare tire. The bolts are coated, possibly with Teflon, that solves the dissimilar metal issue. Also the amount of yellow thread locker seems to be hit and miss. Two bolts were stubborn the rest broke loose easily.

Robb

Base
First Name
Robb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Camry XSE V6, 2021 2 door Base Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Manā€¦I must be freakin lucky after reading all the issues others have had!
I got all 5 rings (Sasquatch)off my bronco in the powder coating place parking lot I was getting them coated at, in the rain without any issues.

Sponsored

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I really, really doubt any of them were cross threaded. No way a bolt that size would go in crossed and tighten down without doing serious damage to the rim. And you probably wouldn't be able to remove them at all if that were the case!
I'm guessing Ford put way too much thread lock on them and the corrosion between steel/aluminum was the issue.
Chasing out the threads with a tap, cleaning the bolts, non-permanent thread lock and you should be good. šŸ¤·

JPOPS5

Base
First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Base-man-squatch / A7 / S5 / TT
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

JPOPS5

Base
First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Base-man-squatch / A7 / S5 / TT
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Iā€™m actually thinking of doing the same thing. Part of me feels like Iā€™m taking the lazy way out and part of me feels like itā€™s just the sane way to go at this point. Definitely not trying to deal with any stripped bolts. Once my tires need to be replaced, I plan on going with custom aftermarket wheels anyway. Iā€™m willing to spend the time to properly tape off and index before I paint, Iā€™m not really feeling any downside to do it this way. Hopefully someone tells me if Iā€™m wrong, maybe thereā€™s a downside Iā€™m not thinking ofā€¦
It worked good for me.

NasBronco

Badlands
First Name
Naomi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I was able to get all 5 beauty rings off and reinstalled with no issues. I would suggest loosening by hand. I too had read all the horror stories first and was surprised it went so smoothly.

NasBronco

Badlands
First Name
Naomi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
How about when replacing the tire, do the beauty rings need to come off?
No, beauty rings can stay on. If they were beadlock then they would have to come off.

Sponsored

Ranbronc

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Early Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm in the process of installing beadlock rings on my SAS wheels, have 2 rings installed so far 1 stripped bolt hole , using a torque wrench multiple steps and anti seize.

what is the thread size and pitch?
found it M10x1.5

Last edited:

20Bronco21

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€™22 Badlands, ā€˜23 Balands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Donkeygyrl

Base
First Name
Sheri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco on order
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

If only one is missing ,try a helicopter coil or just weld in hole then drill and tap.

Collinabc123

Base
First Name
Collin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer h3
Your Bronco Model
Base
I removed my Sasquatch rings to have them painted charcoal grey, they look great but one screw went halfway back in and didnā€™t want to go further

JB4Bronco

Wildtrak
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford f 150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Im thinking of picking up a spare set and powder coating those. Iā€™m just worried about the bolts.

If anyone has extra rings or wants to sell thereā€™s please let me know.
Sponsored