First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Base 4 Door
Your Bronco Model
Base
Good morning guys! Unfortunately in the process of removing my beauty rings I managed to strip 5 bolts, uggghhhhhh. I know I know this has been addressed before though I can not seem to find a details self resolution to this problem. Please! Can someone advise how they were able to remove on their own? Thinking have to drill out but any details or advise would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Sponsored

OP
OP
jar1229

jar1229

Base
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Thank you though unfortunately doesn't give a detailed solution besides taking to the dealer :) . Should be able to drill out at home though just wondered how people corrected themselves.

RHeinz

Badlands
First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1950 Willys CJ3A, 2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Did you strip the threads on the bolts (this is what you wrote…) or the internal threads on the wheel. Why would you want to drill them out unless you broke the bolts off? Can you provide more detail?

If you stripped the internal threads in the wheel, get a Helicoil thread kit to restore the threads. Unless you have good mechanical skills and proper tools, find a machine shop to install the Helicoil thread inserts.

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I had to get mine drilled out (one or two of them) and the dealership had to re-thread the hole. Such a pain in the ass for something that should have been so simple.

Silver lining is out of however many dozens of bolts there are, screwing up one or two isn't bad.

Sponsored
OP
OP
jar1229

jar1229

Base
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Did you strip the threads on the bolts (this is what you wrote…) or the internal threads on the wheel. Why would you want to drill them out unless you broke the bolts off? Can you provide more detail?

If you stripped the internal threads in the wheel, get a Helicoil thread kit to restore the threads. Unless you have good mechanical skills and proper tools, find a machine shop to install the Helicoil thread inserts.
Hope this helps. Basically I stripped the bolt at this point where the instead is just now rounded instead of having the T45 pattern.

RHeinz

Badlands
First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1950 Willys CJ3A, 2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ahh, totally different…. Aren’t these bolts Torx + and not regular Torx? I seem to recall this from other’s posts In the past….stripped heads…

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hope this helps. Basically I stripped the bolt at this point where the instead is just now rounded instead of having the T45 pattern.
Several ways to remove, none of which are glamorous or specifically easy.
I always try the less invasive and less brutal ways first and progress upwards stopping just shy of a 20 lb. brick of tannerite.

The first thing is to try and get some good HSS drill bits and some easy-outs.
IF you can get a center hole drilled in there for the easy-out to grab, lots of times that is the trick.
If that fails you can try taking a hammer and punch and driving it backwards (lefty-loosie) until you can grab the bolt head with something to loosen the rest of the way.

If that fails you may have to resort to welding a bolt onto the end of it and using it to remove them. If it gets to that point anyway it's probably best to take it somewhere and get it done, as not everyone has access to a welding machine.

SubmarineNuke

Wildtrak
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twitch.tv
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

yep, an EZ out is your best bet. Full kits can be found on Amazon, I'm sure you could find something cheap at Harbor Freight for a 1 time use specialty tool. It's really not something you'll find yourself using a lot.

OP
OP
jar1229

jar1229

Base
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Thank you for the help guys! I will see what I can do. Wish me luck.

Sponsored

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

yep, an EZ out is your best bet. Full kits can be found on Amazon, I'm sure you could find something cheap at Harbor Freight for a 1 time use specialty tool. It's really not something you'll find yourself using a lot.
*Hopefully.

I find I frequent my drills, taps, dies, and EZ outs far more often than I like.
I typically am disassembling and restoring stuff at least 40 yrs old though, so some seizing and damaged fasteners can be expected.

But true. Auto parts places and HF are a good source for the "I need something now that doesn't cost a ton, and probably won't use again for a long time" tools.

Amazon is a crapshoot on what you end up with.
I've gotten some really decent specialty tools off there, and some junk.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Yeah stripping the bolt head is totally different. Make sure you using the torx Plus, and if that doesn't work then you may have to get someone to weld a nut or something on to it.

Typically people are finding the bolts were cross threaded from the factory and the threads are screwed up, which I think is what most of us thought when you posted

ColonelAngus

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands, 07 BMW 335i, 05 Saab 9-5 Aero
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Have you tried pounding a larger bit in? First thing id try... although be prepared to sacrifice said bit in the process...

tobands

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco OBX , 2014 Escape Titaimium
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Good morning guys! Unfortunately in the process of removing my beauty rings I managed to strip 5 bolts, uggghhhhhh. I know I know this has been addressed before though I can not seem to find a details self resolution to this problem. Please! Can someone advise how they were able to remove on their own? Thinking have to drill out but any details or advise would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
no offense but after stripping a couple didnt it cross your mind you were doing something wrong ? I think all the torx bolts on the bronco are torx plus and not regular torx.. https://www.amazon.com/Stark-Pieces...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Last edited: