Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911 GTS, BMW M3, VW Golf
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I had a deposit on the new Defender 90. I pulled it as soon as the Bronco was announced for all the reasons already mentioned. It sure looks great but is just a fancy Disco now. I was hoping it was going to be closer to the original much like what Ford did with the Bronco.
Sponsored

tyrobronco

Badlands
First Name
CC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco,2017 Ford Fusion Energi
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

1996 Defender 90? I wanted one - but being a poor 24 year-old, no way I could afford it.

2021 Defender? LOL. 2004 I fell in love with the Bronco concept vehicle and wanted one for the next 16 years. Started appreciating the 1st gens around 2008.

As soon as it was confirmed a Bronco was coming, I was all in. Went to a car show in 2020 to see Cyber-Orange in real life. I was sold. There was a Defender at the show. Sat in it. Wife liked it. I thought the cockpit area was terrible. Giant-postage stamp on the window - wtf?

Overall, it isn't an ugly vehicle, it just doesn't interest me in any way. 13,500 miles on my 2-door Bronco and I have loved every second of it.

JAR-LV

Badlands
First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus GX 460, Land Rover Defender
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

i have both so I think I am qualified to answer.

Defender: by far the more comfortable car. Quality of interior, comfort of seats, heated/cooled seats, rear a/c vents, interior space, all much better. (someone said the defender had less space... ahhh, no. the defender is huge. For daily driving, family vacation duty, road trips and such the defender wins hands down. If my kids had to sit in the back seats, defender would win 100% of time.

I have had the defender off road, dirt roads, washboards, up to about level 3. It does fine, could handle more but this is not the trucks primary mission.

Bronco: wins the cool factor, doors off, top down and such. Definitely more capable off road, if only because it comes more capable from the factory, with the tire/wheel sizes and the overall clearance angles.

for sure you can upgrade the defender to be as capable as the bronco off road but ultimately the trucks have different missions. the defender is no longer a hardcore off road vehicle. it is a cool looking comfortable daily driver. so if you want daily comfort, the defender. if you want a cooler overall truck bronco.

thats the 60 second breakdown.

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
My old boss had a Land Rover. He borrowed his wife's Kia any time he actually drove outside of city limits.

I think of Jeeps as having horrific reliability issues, but they beat the LR by miles.

GravyTrain

Outer Banks
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LR4, 2020 110
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Defender: by far the more comfortable car. Quality of interior, comfort of seats, heated/cooled seats, rear a/c vents, interior space, all much better. (someone said the defender had less space... ahhh, no. the defender is huge. For daily driving, family vacation duty, road trips and such the defender wins hands down. If my kids had to sit in the back seats, defender would win 100% of time.

I have had the defender off road, dirt roads, washboards, up to about level 3. It does fine, could handle more but this is not the trucks primary mission.

Bronco: wins the cool factor, doors off, top down and such. Definitely more capable off road, if only because it comes more capable from the factory, with the tire/wheel sizes and the overall clearance angles.

for sure you can upgrade the defender to be as capable as the bronco off road but ultimately the trucks have different missions. the defender is no longer a hardcore off road vehicle. it is a cool looking comfortable daily driver. so if you want daily comfort, the defender. if you want a cooler overall truck bronco.

I have both as well and they are two completely different vehicles. Love both for different reasons. I’d buy both again.

Sponsored

stickshifthappy

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger, 65 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I love a Defender, but it ain't a Bronco. It'a tame, broken, ride a pony at a birthday vehicle.

It's refined, and pedigreed, and guys name Biff buy 'em.

You drive it to the Whole Foods to get your conflict free toilet paper.

Of course your results my vary.

Last edited:

Lèòn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
For the $$$$$ of a new defender, I could get this one instead

GT500

Badlands
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Nice alternative, but no dealers within 2 hours of me.

j_marinelli

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You have to ask yourself the very important question, WWTS (What Would Tommy Say)

Ford Bronco Quick Survey - Bronco or Defender? 20210731_112932

Sorry but it's crazy they put all this offroad tech in there and pair it with pavement princess tires

MnLakeBum

Outer Banks
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 Range Rover Diesel
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
We did a brief comparison before ordering the Bronco. Personally a fixed roof would likely make more sense for most of our usage but for us the biggest complaint I kept hearing about the 2dr Defender was that the electric button system to access the back seats was so slow and such a pita that it was driving owners crazy. Watch some of the YouTube videos…
We have the electric rear seats in our Range Rover and they are painfully slow. Thankfully, we only put the seats down a handful of times each year. I can’t imagine having to use them to access the back seats.

Sponsored

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Some of the best joggers I know are defender owners.
You have to wonder why they make them with heated bumpers ,so your hans stay warm while pushing in winter.
Don't forget the super reliable electrical system ,Lucas the prince of darkness.
What once was is not so true anymore.

1. There has been nothing from Lucas since 1996 (merger)
2. There has been nothing from LucasVarity since 1996 merger into TRW.
3. No new Land Rover contains a Lucas electrical system
4. Current Discovery and Discovery Sport were designed when LR was owned by FORD hence the similarities. There was even a touch of Ford/Volvo in the Freelander and LR3-4
5. Heated windshields. Can't get those from Ford
6. Or water fording depth sensors
7. You can buy a Jeep that costs more than a Land Rover (new Grand Wagoneer)
8. Even Yukon Denalis have partial air suspensions
9. Original fans of Daktari love the idea of fitting spare tire to the bonnet where it is always in view ( sadly even LR dies not offer anymore)
10. Okay one negative to finish the list. Certain LR engines must be pulled from vehicle to pull pan to change oil pump or even clean the screen while the same engine used elsewhere allows the oil pump to be removed from outside the pan. (Go ahead and google it....scary thought)

MnLakeBum

Outer Banks
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 Range Rover Diesel
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

We have an ‘18 Range Rover with 78k miles on it and I agree with all of this. The Defender is mostly just a tougher looking version of the Range Rover with a bit less luxury panache to its image. We’ve put 12,000 miles on our Bronco since it arrived in April and love it but it really does have a different mission/purpose and target customer.

My daughters have taken over our Bronco to the point that we have a 2nd one coming with a build date of 11/18. It’s from my original 7/20/20 reservation and our current one was ordered a year ago because I got impatient and dropped constraints like Sasquatch and MIC. The intent was to sell the soft top when my original build came in but we love the Bronco enough to have two in the family. My wife has driven the Bronco zero miles as she is a Range Rover princess. :)

I’ll finally have one to drive whenever I want and my older daughter is buying the other one.

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Here's something Defender (and almost any other vehicle) has that Bronco doesn't

Interior lights for rear seat and cargo area that come on when doors are opened. In fact the pisspoor lights in the Bronco mirror are useless as well.

Fly

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I’ve heard the Defender dealer shenanigans are even worse than the Bronco, no thank you
Sponsored