First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Flex EcoBoost, 2010 Milan
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Just for giggles, we tried doing a build-and-price on a Discovery. The site had very little information and I couldn't even figure out what *colors* were available. I'm guessing you need to go to a dealer and I'm not the kind of person to deal with that level of pretension.
Sponsored

John Auer

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln Nautilus, Ford Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I DID consider a new Defender. Then I thought about the maintenance cost, sticker price, depreciation and how bad they rank in the JD Powers report.

That being said, if I were to get a Defender and money wasn’t a huge deciding factor, it’d be this one. A 1990 110 V8.
CE7F0C96-84E2-49E9-9C4F-7F45BDD4B79C.jpeg
Now that’s a Rover! All LR had to do was modernize the technology and keep that styling. They wouldn’t be able to keep pace with the demand.

John Auer

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln Nautilus, Ford Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

At 6’4” you can make just about anything seem small, lol

38AA36A5-5737-4347-935E-3477541287C2.jpeg

6116E3A4-5E80-4D8D-942B-EC9A95D194F5.jpeg

346ECA2F-CF50-4402-B5CC-7948D44F6BF3.jpeg
The Bronco sports an old school vibe, the styling is timeless. The Defender has morphed into something unrecognizable.

mikeeshim

First Edition
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MBZ E350, supposed daily driver
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I DID consider a new Defender. Then I thought about the maintenance cost, sticker price, depreciation and how bad they rank in the JD Powers report.

That being said, if I were to get a Defender and money wasn’t a huge deciding factor, it’d be this one. A 1990 110 V8.
CE7F0C96-84E2-49E9-9C4F-7F45BDD4B79C.jpeg
You could get a Bentley or a Lambo for the price of this '90 Defender, and I'm with you. I'd go for the '90. The new Defender has nothing close to the original. I had both on order and after seeing the D90 in person, I walked away from it and couldn't be happier. I've never been happier driving a car than I am now in my 2D Bronco.

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Here's an except from Motor Trends 20k mile wrap up on the Defender that should win a few over here 😉.

"The most amazing thing, to me, is that it is so competent off-road and yet so good to drive on-road. Vehicles like the Jeep Wrangler and Ford Bronco feel clumsy on-road, yet the Defender is not just competent on curvy roads, it's really good."

https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/...g-term-test-review-update-7-from-the-logbook/

Sponsored

George Ellis

Badlands
First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-350 DRW CC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I get it, this is a Bronco forum so the responses will be bias. That being said, just wondering how many have considered the Defender and what your thoughts are comparing it to the Bronco.
Let the games begin!
Consumer Reports rates them about even with the Defender being a little more comfortable inside.

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I considered a Defender while I was waiting for my Bronco. I do like the look of them and the styling inside and out, however I know long term I'd prefer the Bronco. I also think the Defender is a little too "luxurious" and I wanted the more utilitarian Bronco.

Plus I was reading far too much about issues with the Defender - But I know all makes and models have some issues.

Norville

Black Diamond
First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 BMW 325i, 2012 Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I was all on board with the Bronco to start and their pricing strategy rubbed me the wrong way (just how it works these days with burying certain options behind $6k of stuff I don't want). I've looked at everything from the new Defender to a Cayenne, and other vehicles not in this segment (I kid you not, I've looked at over 40 makes and models). I'm now 100% in the Grenadier camp. I hope I can come up with a good down payment. Just waiting on the final pricing for the USA and keeping my fingers crossed.
Ford Bronco Quick Survey - Bronco or Defender? Screenshot_20221120-122948

Sponsored

jbellousux

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘13 Land Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Nice looking rig. Don’t see too many 2 doors.

Fold

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Kia EV6, Mach E, Miata
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

To me the Defender looks most at home in a mall parking lot.

bluesun68

Wildtrak
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
raptor, velar, f-type
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
The Defender is great on the highway, and the sunroof makes it easy to get the open air feel. I doubt I'll ever take the top off the bronco. But they don't let you lock the diffs, as far as I'm aware. So you can see it in videos, the bronco reaches a shelf and just climbs right up. With the defender, you have to floor it to get the revs above 3k with only one wheel turning before the computer will lock the diff. Then if you let off the gas for even a second the diff lock goes away. In the video I saw, the defender is just banging against the shelf, over and over, before the computer locks the diff and climbs out. Or if you are in mud, it will dig a hole, one wheel at a time, and you will still be in it at the end. Other than that it sucks if you don't live in a big city as that is the only place they have dealers. So if you live in a big city and don't want to go off road, the defender is probably nicer on the highways. No wind noise even at 85, until you open the sun roof. And even then it wasn't bad.

zombie

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands (7spd) 2022 Mustang GT PP
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If I could get a new defender with a stick shift, maybe...

DryYourTears

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Defender, 51 Ford F1, motorcycles
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
To me the Defender looks most at home in a mall parking lot.
I disagree. :cool: (don't recall if this is a re-post in this very old thread - I can dig up plenty of others, but this is one of my favorites)

Ford Bronco Quick Survey - Bronco or Defender? 20220620_130222
Sponsored