Sponsored

Rapid red metallic lots sparkle after crystal serum ultra ceramic coating applied?

Jason F

Outer Banks
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I took my rapid red bronco in for a detailing, and they were to apply 2 layers of crystal serum ultra, I guess the process involves removing factory clear coat. New clear coat wouldn’t adhere to the paint so they put some other product on first then the crystal serum gtechniq product. I think I lost the metallic sparkle, is that possible, was it in the clear coat? They also did a paint correction. It’s cloudy here so can’t tell for sure.
Sponsored

Bronco21fan

Black Diamond
First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco black diamond 2 door Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I took my rapid red bronco in for a detailing, and they were to apply 2 layers of crystal serum ultra, I guess the process involves removing factory clear coat. New clear coat wouldn’t adhere to the paint so they put some other product on first then the crystal serum gtechniq product. I think I lost the metallic sparkle, is that possible, was it in the clear coat? They also did a paint correction. It’s cloudy here so can’t tell for sure.
Why on gods green earth would they remove the factory clear coat this dose t sound wright at all and yes they prob removed the metallic flake

OP
OP
Jason F

Jason F

Outer Banks
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Why on gods green earth would they remove the factory clear coat this dose t sound wright at all and yes they prob removed the metallic flake
Reputable company, didn’t know exactly what I was getting, said it was a much more durable finish. Was the flake in the clear coat?

Sponsored

Bronco21fan

Black Diamond
First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco black diamond 2 door Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Reputable company, didn’t know exactly what I was getting, said it was a much more durable finish. Was the flake in the clear coat?
Don’t get me wrong it did turn out great lots of shine love that look and the paint will be protected if anything call them up and ask them what’s up they might have wet sanded the flake off. Metallic cars are hard as hell to paint too if ever in an accident caose you got to mix the flakes with the paint

stuckinohio

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door Badlands, MT High 2 Dr, V6 Outer Banks, Lux
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm just starting to research Ceramic coatings, so I am NOT an expert. But I don't think they removed your clear coat.

As far as I can tell, before ceramic coatings are applied, all the previous waxes/coatings must be removed by some means. And I think paint correction usually includes orbital buffing/polishing to remove scratches. I doubt any detailing shop is wet sanding at this level to apply a ceramic coating.

I assume they simply did not do the proper prep work before applying the ceramic coating, hence the "not sticking" comment.

I hope you'll see the metallic sparkle one the weather improves in Grove Sh***Y!

Paul Gagnon

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Mustang, '92 Explorer, '10 F-350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Sounds to me like they did it wrong.

OP
OP
Jason F

Jason F

Outer Banks
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I'm just starting to research Ceramic coatings, so I am NOT an expert. But I don't think they removed your clear coat.

As far as I can tell, before ceramic coatings are applied, all the previous waxes/coatings must be removed by some means. And I think paint correction usually includes orbital buffing/polishing to remove scratches. I doubt any detailing shop is wet sanding at this level to apply a ceramic coating.

I assume they simply did not do the proper prep work before applying the ceramic coating, hence the "not sticking" comment.

I hope you'll see the metallic sparkle one the weather improves in Grove Sh***Y!
I prefer grovetucky😀

WCP-82

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sponsored

RG7

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
B8 A4, 2018 Triumph Street Triple R
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Paint correction is needed, even on brand new vehicles, to maximize coating application. Sounds like they applied CSL instead of ultra.

They didn’t remove all of the clear coat (or at least they sure as hell shouldn’t have), rather they’ll compound and polish as needed to bring the most out of the factory clear before coating.

If I had to guess they probably did not step up to a fine enough polishing liquid/pad, or went too aggressive during compounding, which dulled the clear just a little bit, preventing you from seeing the metallic as well as you did before they worked on it.

Then they put the coating on, which bumped the shine enough for you to not notice they didn’t go fine enough when polishing.

Hard to tell without being there in person or really good pics exactly what happened, but if it looks bad to you have them decon wash the car (strip the coating), polish it correctly this time and then apply the coating.

Edit: rereading your post says they applied new clear coat? I can’t imagine they would have resprayed it.

I’d start by going to a Ford dealer and taking side by side and up close pics of your Bronco next to another rapid red vehicle that’s somewhat clean. That will give you a baseline to then bring back to the detailer and show them they jacked the truck up and need to fix it.

navi

Base
First Name
Navi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
73 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
What?
They would have needed to sand the entire vehicle with 1200 grit or rougher sandpaper to remove the clear coat. That would take a lot of time and cost a lot of cash.
That would remove the metallic flakes as well. Usually the flakes are in the color but in rapid red they are in the clear. It is highly unlikely they did that or sprayed any new clear.

The coating might be not as shiny as you like which is a bummer.
Hopefully someone knows how to polish the coating better...find an expert.

Hossfire

Wildtrak
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'06 Jeep Commander
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I cried a little inside when AMB and RR were dropped for MY'22.

OP
OP
Jason F

Jason F

Outer Banks
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Paint correction is needed, even on brand new vehicles, to maximize coating application. Sounds like they applied CSL instead of ultra.

They didn’t remove all of the clear coat (or at least they sure as hell shouldn’t have), rather they’ll compound and polish as needed to bring the most out of the factory clear before coating.

If I had to guess they probably did not step up to a fine enough polishing liquid/pad, or went too aggressive during compounding, which dulled the clear just a little bit, preventing you from seeing the metallic as well as you did before they worked on it.

Then they put the coating on, which bumped the shine enough for you to not notice they didn’t go fine enough when polishing.

Hard to tell without being there in person or really good pics exactly what happened, but if it looks bad to you have them decon wash the car (strip the coating), polish it correctly this time and then apply the coating.

Edit: rereading your post says they applied new clear coat? I can’t imagine they would have resprayed it.

I’d start by going to a Ford dealer and taking side by side and up close pics of your Bronco next to another rapid red vehicle that’s somewhat clean. That will give you a baseline to then bring back to the detailer and show them they jacked the truck up and need to fix it.
Great idea I’ll go get a side by side at a dealership if I can find another rapid red vehicle

Monster1926

First Edition
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra 2500HD
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Soo they removed the clear coat but paint corrected it?
Sponsored