Reaction score
Website
twitch.tv
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

what I'm taking away from this is that there's no paint under the hinges and the verhicle is paited with the tailgate and hinges on instead of painted as a separate piece and then assembled...
Sponsored

Mikey1287

Wildtrak
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco, 72 Mach, 03 Mach, 69 Mach, 08 Harley
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Good info. Thanks for sharing.

NVCowboy

Big Bend
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 F350. 2022 Big Bend (Sasquatch)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
why wouldn't you put a bumper tire mount on? I thought those will take more weight, etc.
You are correct. However, Bronco Tax has bumper mounted spare systems running in excess of $2,000. I suppose this shouldn’t bother anyone springing for 37’s, but ouch.

There’s another thread where a member combined Raptor Hinges and the Hammerbuilt plate for a semi cost effective way to carry 37’s. I’m happy with my 35s, and probably need the plate for a Jerry Can.

Last edited:

Johnny Rebel

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2D Big Bend, 2022 Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I wanna know about that sweet Pantera sitting on the lift...
I installed my HB pretty much how they did without watching the video. Luckily.
And the bracket looks pretty sharp in gloss black.
That Pantera is sweet! I asked him about that when I ordered my bracket and he said it was a customer's car. My dad had one of those when I was kid and it was a beast!

OP
OP
gjennings12

gjennings12

Badlands
First Name
Grayson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Did you attempt to use one of the two large openings behind the spare tire carrier? :unsure:

651607DA-014A-4153-BEC0-CDE4CB085FB8.jpeg
Yes. they would not lead to the area I was trying to get to

Sponsored

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Nothing to add but is relevant to discussion. Nothing in WSM about the captive bracket in the gate.
Tailgate
Special Tool(s) / General Equipment

Interior Trim Remover
Removal

NOTE:
Removal steps in this procedure may contain installation details.

1. Remove the nuts and the spares wheel.
    Torque: 66 lb.ft (90 Nm)
Ford Bronco {thread} {filename}
  1. Open the tailgate.
  1. Release the clips and remove the loadspace scuff plate trim panel.
    Use the General Equipment: Interior Trim Remover
  1. Pull the rear edge of the load space trim panel enough to detach the tailgate wiring harness electrical connector.
  1. Disconnect the tailgate wiring harness electrical connector and detach the wiring retainers.
  1. Remove the fasteners and the tailgate hinge cover.
  1. Mark the location of the tailgate hinge to aid in installation.
  1. Remove the clip holding the tailgate strut and position aside.
  1. NOTE: This step requires the aid of another technician.
    Remove the bolts and the tailgate.
    Torque: 30 lb.ft (40 Nm)
  1. If required.
    Remove the bolts and the tailgate hinge.
    Torque: 22 lb.ft (30 Nm)
Installation

1. To install, reverse the removal procedure.
  1. Align the tailgate as necessary.
    Refer to: Tailgate Alignment (501-03 Body Closures, General Procedures).

vzqhsg

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150, Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You are correct. However, Bronco Tax has bumper mounted spare systems running in excess of $2,000. I suppose this shouldn’t bother anyone springing for 37’s, but ouch.

There’s another thread where a member combined Raptor Hinges and the Hammerbuilt plate for a semi cost effective way to carry 37’s. I’m happy with my 35s, and probably need the plate for a Jerry Can.
I'll bet the bent tailgate and new rear window cost more the $2K.

NORCALGXP

Wildtrak
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Raptor hinges requires special Hammerbuilt bracket. My install.

Ford Bronco Read this before installing a tailgate reinforcement 20230217_162900

Sponsored

Cliff White

Badlands
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07GT/CS, Ranger, Bronco Sport, Harley
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

When you are ready to hang the spare tire back on, can you rest it on the rear camera brace while lining up the lugs? Will it hold the heavy tire? Thanks, B

Douss11

Badlands
First Name
AD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ford designed the tailgate so that the brackets inside the tailgate, that the hinge bolts screw into, can come undone and fall to the bottom of the tailgate. Keep in mind, there is no hatch or anything to get inside the tailgate besides the small holes that the bolts go through. If you take the hinge bolts out, the slightest pressure can cause the interior bracket to detach and fall to the bottom of the tailgate. It appears I'm the first victim of this terrible design flaw. I have no idea why Ford wouldn't just have a bracket with threads that are secured to the tailgate. This is not the only place with this design because I noticed it again when I took my front bumper off this summer and had a bolt hole thread bracket (sorry I'm not sure what they're called) detach and fall on my face as soon as I removed the bolt.

So I bought a tailgate reinforcement to accommodate my 37 inch spare tire. I originally tried to install it myself but realized I didn't have the right size tool because I stripped the upper hinge bolt head slightly. I took it to 4wp to have them put it on since they were already installing my lift kit. I picked up my bronco for them to tell me that the tailgate reinforcement could not be put on because I stripped the bolt hole thread inside the tailgate. It was obvious that I messed with it because the head of the bolt was stripped slightly. They said that the reinforcement bolts would not go through the thread of the bolt hole inside the tailgate. What I found weird, was the bolt that I slightly stripped was in a different location. It was originally in the upper hinge but I found it in the lower hinge. So that means they put another bolt in the hole that I supposedly stripped. Weeks later, I decided to try to put the reinforcement bracket on myself after getting the correct tool. I first tested to see if the reinforcement bolt would go through the hole that I apprently stripped and it went in just fine. I tested every hole individually and it went in fine. I then unscrewed the lower hinge bolts first and the bracket within the tailgate fell to the bottom of the tailgate. That was the first time I even touched the lower hinge. It was obvious that someone possibly put to much pressure on it causing the bracket to come off the back wall inside the tailgate. It took 2.5 hours to fish the bracket back up using a clothes hanger and get the bolts through it without it falling back down again. At the end, I did what 4wp said was impossible and I installed the tailgate reinforcement. They tried to tell me that I stripped the thread within the tailgate preventing the bolt from going through. This was false because the threads were fine. What actually happened was they most likely pressed so hard on the bolt that the bracket inside came loose. I guess they assumed I wouldn't go try to see for myself. I have no idea why Ford designed a bolt bracket that could come detached from the tailgate. But if you try intstalling a reinforcement yourself, know that the bracket inside could easily come loose and fall to the bottom with a little pressure.

Ford Bronco Read this before installing a tailgate reinforcement 20230217_162900
That just happened to me today. And there is no way to get to that dumb bracket...
I tried the hanger cable and i was able to insert just one bolts... I'm going to try tomorrow.. but did you but the bracket back in place to insert both bolt normally?
Sponsored