Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Land Rover Disco 2, '79 Corvette, '17 Elantra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have a 4 door Badlands and also feel like the ride quality is pretty harsh. It's mostly the rear springs, it makes you keenly aware of every bump on the highway. Reminds me of a Tacoma I rented a couple years ago.

I'm confused because I know all the reviews say the ride quality is great compared to a Jeep, but I find that sort of hard to believe. I wouldn't expect the ride quality to be as smooth as a sedan, but I have a 20 year old Land Rover with solid front and rear axles that rides smoother than this.
Sponsored

VoltageDrop

Base
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23, 69 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I have a 4 door Badlands and also feel like the ride quality is pretty harsh. It's mostly the rear springs, it makes you keenly aware of every bump on the highway. Reminds me of a Tacoma I rented a couple years ago.

I'm confused because I know all the reviews say the ride quality is great compared to a Jeep, but I find that sort of hard to believe. I wouldn't expect the ride quality to be as smooth as a sedan, but I have a 20 year old Land Rover with solid front and rear axles that rides smoother than this.
I've had similar thoughts and almost posted them on the "unpopular opinion" thread. I'm running 32 psi now and the front isn't too bad but the rear is still fairly harsh over small bumps. The easiest solution might be a giant subwoofer box with a couple 15's in the cargo area.

LeBronco

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Expedition Platinum
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
you bought the wrong model!! You are missing two doors. LOL

seriously this is the best riding off road vehicle i have ever ridden in!!!!! light years ahead of the wrangler!

chartzilla

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

you bought the wrong model!! You are missing two doors. LOL

seriously this is the best riding off road vehicle i have ever ridden in!!!!! light years ahead of the wrangler!
I've never actually driven a Wrangler so maybe that's part of my problem. I've ridden in them several times and never recalled a particularly bumpy ride but maybe I just wasn't paying attention.

But like I said, I have a 2000 Land Rover Discovery 2 that rides significantly smoother than my brand new Bronco. It's body on frame with solid front and rear axles. Weighs about the same as the Bronco and has E load rated 32 inch all terrain tires. Which would all suggest a harsher ride than the Bronco... But it's oddly better than the Bronco. It does have upgraded 2" lift springs and Old Man Emu shocks so I suppose that could be giving it an edge?

I have noticed that people have only been complaining about harsh ride quality the past 3-4 months.. Is it possible Ford changed the rear spring rate for 2022?

VoltageDrop

Base
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23, 69 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I've never actually driven a Wrangler so maybe that's part of my problem. I've ridden in them several times and never recalled a particularly bumpy ride but maybe I just wasn't paying attention.

But like I said, I have a 2000 Land Rover Discovery 2 that rides significantly smoother than my brand new Bronco. It's body on frame with solid front and rear axles. Weighs about the same as the Bronco and has E load rated 32 inch all terrain tires. Which would all suggest a harsher ride than the Bronco... But it's oddly better than the Bronco. It does have upgraded 2" lift springs and Old Man Emu shocks so I suppose that could be giving it an edge?

I have noticed that people have only been complaining about harsh ride quality the past 3-4 months.. Is it possible Ford changed the rear spring rate for 2022?
They did add a rear sway bar on some models for 22 but I haven't seen a definitive list of which ones get it. On uneven bumps that would increase the effective spring rate.

Sponsored

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I'm happy with my rear end (no jokes), but I've replaced trailing arms and track bar to get rid of all those hard rubber bushings, so maybe that helps. I certainly wouldn't call it a harsh ride on or off road. That's also with a lighter than normal load, as top and doors and rear seat are gone.

I guess I'm also used to Blazers on lifted leaf springs and my Tacoma on lifted leaf spring.

chartzilla

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

They did add a rear sway bar on some models for 22 but I haven't seen a definitive list of which ones get it. On uneven bumps that would increase the effective spring rate.
Interesting, I'll have to check and see if mine has that.

chartzilla

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Edit: nevermind this is the track bar...
20220608_101605.jpg

Last edited:

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It's this bar behind the rear diff right? Looks like I do have one. Also looks pretty simple to remove, just two bolts. Maybe I'll try taking it off at some point and see what difference it makes...
Ford Bronco Rear Too Stiff 20220608_101605
No, that's your track bar.

Sponsored

chartzilla

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

No, that's your track bar.
Duh.. shows how much I know about suspension components.

Looked up a proper picture of the rear sway bar and confirmed I do not have one
20220608_111632.jpg

Attachments

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Duh.. shows how much I know about suspension components.

Looked up a proper picture of the rear sway bar and confirmed I do not have one
Ford Bronco Rear Too Stiff 20220608_111632
It's all good, buddy. None of us know until we do about anything.
Before I had my first Jeep and did a suspension upgrade I wasn't sure what the technical names were for some of it either.

Out of some old bad habit I STILL call the rear trailing arms "Rear Control Arms".

Brnco2.7

Base
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1976 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I have 5000 miles on mine and I was just thinking today that it feels like it drives better over bumps.I think it takes a few thousand miles to break in the suspension. I live 3 miles down a dirt road and really notice the bumps.

Ground_zero298

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 badlands 2 door. 22 Burban Z71
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

They take about 1500 miles for the suspension to soften up, at least mine did. Psi should be adjusted to you’re liking. I feel anything over 40 is uncalled for on something like this. I’m running 32-34 psi. Lowering the psi helped from the get go, then one day the suspension just decided to smooth out. Now she rides good on the highway. Thought it was horrible when I first drove it home.

Rkgzx9leftcoast

Base
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I felt the same to a point. Only have 850 miles on mine. There is a section of road by my hose I hit everyday on the way home from work, that is roughed up by construction traffic In my Jeep JL with a lift, it was a harsh ride over the bumps, I am feeling them a little more than I thought I would in my 4 door Sasquatch.

I took it off road for the first time over the weekend, and I think it is about compromise. I went down some rutted trails much faster in the Bronco then I would have in the JL. I think it may give up some on road plushness for off road Baja style driving. I really noticed on the wash boarded dirt road in and out of the Trail areas, if I went 5 to 10 miles an hour it felt like my teeth were going to fall out....but if I went up to 35-40 MPH it was a smooth ride.

From videos Ive seen of suspension travel, especially on trails with people going medium speeds, I think the down travel dampening is some of the issue, it looks to me like it has less rebound dampening than maybe it should. Meaning the suspension drops faster over voids after bumps than it should. Just my 2 cents.
Sponsored