Sponsored

Resetting TPMS on manual transmission Bronco?

SubmarineNuke

Wildtrak
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twitch.tv
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

the owners manual says that the Bronco will learn the sensors after driving above 20 mph for a few miles. You shouldn't need to do anything but start driving. I'm confused.
Sponsored

OP
OP

EveryDayBronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Motorcycle
Your Bronco Model
Base
the owners manual says that the Bronco will learn the sensors after driving above 20 mph for a few miles. You shouldn't need to do anything but start driving. I'm confused.
Me too!

If the sensors automatically learn then why the is there a procedure?

I spoke with the ford parts counter who cut my new key fob, and he said it doesn't automatically learn, a few replies here in several other tpms topics mention that theirs need to be reset.

And there's the possibility that my take-off wheels don't have the sensors, which I'll find out tomorrow, unless I figure something else out today!

OP
OP

EveryDayBronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Motorcycle
Your Bronco Model
Base
Update:

Dealer's service rep said they could reset them and had a tech look at it but he didn't know what to do. I asked if had a tool to reset them and he put his hands in his pockets like he was confused and said he no I don't have it. I'm not exaggerating, and that doesn't leave me with much faith in the tech!

So as of now I have no definitive answer!

Karl_in_Chicago

Badlands
First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I had to buy a tool to do this on my C6 Corvette when I bought aftermarket wheels. It was not that expensive although it is older technology being a 2006. With the tool the reset was instant and took like 5 minutes to do all 4 tires. I am not sure about the Bronco. I see so may have aftermarket wheels so it is probably just as easy.
Hehe, back in '99 the "tool" for my C5 was a magnet that I'd cannibalized from an old speaker. Hold it by the valve stem while the DIC was in TPMS mode and "honk!" let you know it was married. Yeah, just took a couple minutes for all of them. Useful when swapping between track and street wheel/tire combos.

Sounds like it's come a long way with Ford just automagically recognizing them now. Nice.

zombie

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands (7spd) 2022 Mustang GT PP
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My understanding is that tires (sensors) that have been rotated will "learn" automatically. New sensors would require a trigger tool.

Sponsored

Roger123

Badlands
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GC, '14 Yamaha Super Tenere
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Can you describe your situation, did you get a set of takeoffs and they didn't automatically "learn" to connect to the vehicle?
I rotated my tires and there was conflicting information as to wether the system would re-learn the tires. The manual states you need to re-program when rotating in the spare.

It was $15 so I bought it, used it, and it worked. Now, would I have not needed it? Not sure, but I know using it worked.

Roger123

Badlands
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GC, '14 Yamaha Super Tenere
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I found the video for resetting the tire pressure sensors but I think it’s for automatic’s. I tried on my manual and it didn’t work!

Does anyone have a procedure for resetting tpms on manual Bronco?

Thanks,

Here’s the vid I found, maybe I did it wrong I don’t know??

When you use the procedure in the video where at the end it says "train left front tire", that's where you use the tool. You scan the left front, the horn honks, then you do the right front, horn honks, and continue around the vehicle.

This is the video I used.

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Raptor, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
TMPS sensors auto resets on Fords and you don't need even need to run Ford TPMS for them to reset. Just drive and it will pick it up.

Sponsored

AK SNO RIDER

First Edition
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350, '04 6.0, '76 High Boy
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Can you describe your situation, did you get a set of takeoffs and they didn't automatically "learn" or connect to the vehicle?
The Bronco, and most Fords, will auto learn new TPMS, and does not need to be programmed. Sometimes this doesn't work though. I have one of those tools as well. It's cheap and nice to have around. I've used it occasionally when one of my parents trucks didn't pick up the sensors for whatever reason, and it can be used to diagnose a bad sensor if you're vehicle doesn't tell you which specific wheel has the problem.

OP
OP

EveryDayBronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Motorcycle
Your Bronco Model
Base
I rotated my tires and there was conflicting information as to wether the system would re-learn the tires. The manual states you need to re-program when rotating in the spare.

It was $15 so I bought it, used it, and it worked. Now, would I have not needed it? Not sure, but I know using it worked.

Progress!

I figured out how the set the bronco to learn mode:
- turn off engine
- push stick into first gear, parking brake off
- depress & release brake pedal once
- press start/on then start/off
- press start/on
- press start/off
- press start/on
Horn will sound by itself
Dash will display "train left front tire".

I don't have the "training" device so I tried deflating the tire but it did't train it, also tried a magnet but no luck.

Knowing the vehicle is configured to train the tpms sensors I ordered the tool ($13 off amazon, thank you Roger123!), and will try it before burning 4 hours by taking my vehicle in with my trailer, loaded with the original wheels, and paying to change out the sensors!

Worth the try imo!

Stay tuned, as the gadget should be here on Monday!

Last edited:

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Progress!

I figured out how the set the bronco to learn mode:
- turn off engine
- push stick into first gear, parking brake off
- press start/on
- press start/off
- press start/on
Horn will sound by itself
Dash will display "train left front tire".

I don't have the "training" device so I tried deflating the tire but it did't train it, also tried a magnet but no luck.

Knowing the vehicle is configured to train the tpms sensors I ordered the tool ($13 off amazon, thank you Roger123!), and will try it before burning 4 hours by taking my vehicle in with my trailer, loaded with the original wheels, and paying to change out the sensors!

Worth the try imo!

Stay tuned, as the gadget should be here on Monday!
I did all of this too... like I said, it took a few days to wake up to the new sensors (even after a 40 mile loop at Freeway speeds it didn't reset right away)....

Good luck.

OP
OP

EveryDayBronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Motorcycle
Your Bronco Model
Base
I did all of this too... like I said, it took a few days to wake up to the new sensors (even after a 40 mile loop at Freeway speeds it didn't reset right away)....

Good luck.
I have over 400 miles on the take-off wheels.

The training gadget arrived and I used it, and it seems to work but it didn't, so it would seem that some of you where right, there are no sensors in my wheels!

I might still need the gadget for 5 wheel rotation??

Next week I'll get the sensors pulled from my original wheels. Hope to finally resolve this dilemma!