Sponsored

Rest your Turbos when you park before turning off car?

mrjking2000

Badlands
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco BadSasquatch, 2019 F-250 PowerStroker
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
when i had my f150 i pulled our scout troop's cargo trailer up a pretty steep incline right before we got to our final destination. i usually left the truck run for a few minutes so we had the trailer light inside working to unload, but i noticed my turbos were glowing red.

i let it run a few more minutes until they weren't bright red anymore and shut it off. basically, any time i worked it hard i would leave it run a few minutes. otherwise don't worry about it and shut it off. not gonna hurt anything.
Sponsored

CeeCeeBronco

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
CeeCee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Had turbo cars before Evo 8”s and Sr20dets we had “turbo timers” that would shut down the vehicle after the set time between 1-5 minutes after you take out your key and it was plug and play and attached to the hand brake should somebody try to take off and completely shut down the car if the hand brake was set off. Now I just warm up the bronco with the key and sit in it for a minute after shutting down.
Why do you sit in it after shutting it down?

FleshTuxedo

Outer Banks
First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 OBX 2dr.
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I warm my Bronco up for about 5 minutes before I drive it. It doesn't really like driving when it's not at least a little warmed up.

As for letting it run to cool down. You don't really need to do that with these vehicles, as others have said.

Ohnoohnoooo

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW z3, Nisan rogue, joint-custody of Jeep YJ
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

So in bronco horse terms, don't put 'em away wet.

Related: I just told my coworker bestie — who wasn't letting me get a word in edgewise — to cool his turbos.

JMB

Base
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
All Fords
Your Bronco Model
Base
[Opinion:] It's not "If you should" it's "How long should you". [End of Opinion]

You do you.

For those that want help doing their own research, here's a Starting Point

Sponsored

mikeeshim

First Edition
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MBZ E350, supposed daily driver
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Not sure about the 2.3L, but the twin turbo setup in the 2.7L have liquid cooled turbos, so they do not need to be "rested" before shutting off.
Back in the 90s, there was a time when we had turbo timers so that even after ignition off, the motor would run to let the turbos cool, but that's not relevant with the 2.7L motors.
Keep in mind, the same setup has been used in the F150s for years without issue, so no need to waste gas.

Now, as far as start up goes, I usually wait til the motor quiets down before moving, and the remote start feature makes that very easy to do. Even if you don't have it on your keyfob, you can remote start via the Ford Pass app, so you have no excuses.

JBlanco

Base
First Name
Julio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco BaseSquatch, 2023 Tesla Y Performance
Your Bronco Model
Base
I literally drive my bronco speed limit everywhere pimping around lol. I just enjoy drive it slow and steady.
According to this video, the 2.7 benefits from the occasional "Italian tuneup"

GToddC5

Badlands
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 1971 Toyota FJ40, 1998 Corvette 'vert
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Not sure about the 2.3L, but the twin turbo setup in the 2.7L have liquid cooled turbos, so they do not need to be "rested" before shutting off.
Back in the 90s, there was a time when we had turbo timers so that even after ignition off, the motor would run to let the turbos cool, but that's not relevant with the 2.7L motors.
Keep in mind, the same setup has been used in the F150s for years without issue, so no need to waste gas.

Now, as far as start up goes, I usually wait til the motor quiets down before moving, and the remote start feature makes that very easy to do. Even if you don't have it on your keyfob, you can remote start via the Ford Pass app, so you have no excuses.
I have an excuse - 7MT

mikeeshim

First Edition
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MBZ E350, supposed daily driver
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I have an excuse - 7MT
Neutral with parking brake unless you're on an incline or decline. But at that point, just don't do it just in case you get in the habit, or you have outstanding parking tickets.

VoltageDrop

Base
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23, 69 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Some higher-end brands are equipped with recirculation pumps that run after shutdown to cool the turbos (I’ve owned several and surprised the Bronco didn’t have that). Apparently Ford has determined its cheaper to replace a turbo if it fries than equip every vehicle with a recirculation system. I usually try to let my 2.7 complete its warm-up and also idle it for a minute or so before shutting it off. Can’t hurt.
Bronco has electric coolant and oil pumps so it should have the ability to cool after shutdown but I don't know it's programmed to do so. The turbos are small and well integrated so they should warm up and cool down fairly quickly.

Sponsored

rtazz17

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford bronco big bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
This is nothing new and isnt fords fault. You dont have to let it run. Its for the longevity of the turbo. Any turbo. To circulate relatively cooler oil through it. But this goes for any turbo driven vehicle especially ones that are created high temps. But not fords fault . These turbos are tiny. Not sure how much heat they are actually creating. I would let my diesel superduty 6.7 cool down after driving cuz it was deleted but I wont be letting this bronco cool.

Last edited:

GToddC5

Badlands
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 1971 Toyota FJ40, 1998 Corvette 'vert
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Neutral with parking brake unless you're on an incline or decline. But at that point, just don't do it just in case you get in the habit, or you have outstanding parking tickets.
There's no start option on my fob or the app.

ERock62

Outer Banks
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F250
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
What year is this? Make me think of my import car days and turbo timers.

Garemlin

Black Diamond
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
---
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I've watched the boost gauge. The turbo really only kicks in when you get on it. So if you are going to be parking more than likely you will be going slower for a few minutes before you do. So the turbo wouldn't have been engaging anyway. Just my take.
Sponsored