Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
Still not sure if PSUTE is trolling y'all or not :unsure:
Absolutely not. I don't drive hard. The nearest traffic light is 7 miles away, and to get pretty much anywhere, I have to jump on the freeway and set the cruise for 75, so I really have no city driving, which I'm sure has everything to do with the mileage I get...
Sponsored

MISSJD

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Cabrio
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Absolutely not. I don't drive hard. The nearest traffic light is 7 miles away, and to get pretty much anywhere, I have to jump on the freeway and set the cruise for 75, so I really have no city driving, which I'm sure has everything to do with the mileage I get...
Well, full disclosure....I live below sea level and drive through town like it's Daytona 500....so Wreck-it-Ralph over here can tear up some engines if I do say so myself. It's a special talent

XirallicBolts

Outer Banks
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Flex EcoBoost, 2010 Milan
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Better emissions,
You are correct. My bias goes to my incorrect assumption, years ago, that Ford was putting all it's eggs in the Ecoboost basket primarily to boost MPGs. Now I see it was for power, which is a win, but may be a win in the wrong war.
Well, one of the first cars to get EcoBoost was the SHO, closely followed by the Flex -- EB didn't give better mileage, just better fun ;)

Taurus/Flex got it in 2010, F150 in 2011, and Explorer was late to the party in 2013

Hamhands

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

It's all about efficiency......it takes x amount of energy to move a vehicle. If a large n/a motor is more efficient, it is actually possible for it to outperform a smaller engine in fuel mileage, even if the smaller engine is boosted. Engineering

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

EPA emissions and mileage testing process is a big one for North America. Global application of engines and chassis both favor modular design now as well. Engines with forced induction and multiple displacements to change characteristics and power output to suit the vehicle, application and price point make sense $$$ wise too. Smaller displacement motors also have to run significantly higher rpm to producer more power when naturally aspirated which isn't always practical depending on application.

Sponsored

Deleted member 13702

It's all about efficiency......it takes x amount of energy to move a vehicle. If a large n/a motor is more efficient, it is actually possible for it to outperform a smaller engine in fuel mileage, even if the smaller engine is boosted. Engineering
That sounds like some serious science.

137AB9D9-A2A8-46D7-948C-F41A14447E03.jpeg

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ram Rebel, '07 A4 Quattro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Who knew a boxed shaped, lifted, with big tires vehicle wouldn't get optimal fuel mileage???

Come on fellas when you buy off-road vehicles (ie raptors, broncos, jeeps) you're not concerned about fuel mileage.
Way I see it, my truck with Mud's and OEM armor get's according to the computer (I don't bother hand calculating)

If my 2dr gets better, that's good enough for me

Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Ford Bronco Riddle me this economy

"If a large engine is more efficient, then it is more efficient."

Ford Bronco Riddle me this mind-blowin

amccue90

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hamhands told me I have to get the bigger engine to save the environment. :D

Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Way I see it, my truck with Mud's and OEM armor get's according to the computer (I don't bother hand calculating)

If my 2dr gets better, that's good enough for me
Did you have a stroke? It's like you forgot a couple words and periods but threw in some extra apostrophes to compensate.

Sponsored

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ram Rebel, '07 A4 Quattro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Did you have a stroke? It's like you forgot a couple words and periods but threw in some extra apostrophes to compensate.
I'm at work, and didn't really take the time to properly write that. That, and I'm one of those people who keeps editors employed

Broncomputer

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GTI
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The thing I have noticed with the EB engines is you actively drive them to try and achieve maximum MPG, they can return fantastic mileage, while still offering the power of larger engines when needed. Problem is driving that way is a pain in the ass lol
I wonder then if ECO mode in the GOAT mode would temper when the boost kicks in?

Or is it just just an adjustment throttle map?

Austin26

Base
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Base
This

Which is why most Pike peak hill climb teams run turbos. For those that don't know the altitude changes made the governing body require oxygen for drivers
Ugh I wish I had a hand held turbo when I hiked it. I barely made it due to altitude sickness.

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
OK, I currently drive a 2012 Sierra 1500 with a 5.3 (Old 350). I get about 17 MPG banging up and down the mountains in Appalachia. Got about the same in my 2004 F250 with the 5.4 (old 351) I am trying to wrap my head around little turbo engines that deliver about the same MPG with a shit ton of more moving parts to break down, what's the point?...
I kinda wonder why you weren't upset your 8-year-newer Chevy didn't get better gas mileage than the heavier-duty, older Ford?
Sponsored