Vehicle(s)
97 Jeep TJ
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Sport mode
Premium fuel
7 speed
Stupid fun
Sport mode was pretty cool, havenā€™t put in premium yet.

So does sport +4HI = Baja? Or is that wish in one hand andā€¦ well you know the rest

wetdog

Base
First Name
Bruno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jl
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I have the base no baja ,the sport is fun.

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
No. The clutch is soft and squishy like the newer Mustangs. I can deal, but stiffer would be better.

I'm going to look into whether the Mustang "helper spring" fits the bronco. Makes the clutch "feel" stiffer.

And the shifter is sloppy, also like the newer Mustangs with the Getrag transmission. Which is of course, to be expected since it's a cable drive and not a top-loader. The TREMEC trannies were much smoother.

But, at least we got a stick.

bodean

Base
First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
76 Mini, 99 4Runner, 07 FJ Cruiser, 16 Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

We own 4 other manual vehicles. 2016 Tacoma, , 2015 Golf TDI, 2007 FJ Cruiser and a 1976 Austin Mini with a 1995 Acura Integra drivetrain.

I wouldnā€™t say the Bronco is significantly better than any of them (maybe the Mini) clutch is a little soft for my liking, but itā€™s still a great driving experience.

Sponsored

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I had to drive my bossā€™s 2013 Jeep Wrangler with its terrible manual transmission and 33ā€ tires on stock gearing last week, needless to say it wasnā€™t my favorite. My last manual vehicles were my 87 Bronco, 2015 Passat TDI, and Volvo C30 Polestar. The 87 Bronco drove like a proper truck with the T-18 trans and a heavy clutch. The Passat was overgeared for highway efficiency, so it was easy to stall if you didnā€™t give it enough revs when starting off but shifter great after that. The Volvo had a weird clutch that picked up too high for my liking, but I loved driving that car. The new Bronco is a very easy manual to drive.

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

The clutch is extremely soft - to the point where it could use a bit more feel - but the throws are just right and the engagement is bang on. Between the throttle tip-in and hill start assist it's hands down the easiest manual I've ever driven and I will have no issues teaching others on it. The auto restart when pressing the clutch after stall will definitely help new learners' confidence too.

wrbix

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LR Def90, F250 7.3, Caterham 7, LR Series III, etc
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Been driving MTs since the sixties and yes this is one of the good onesā€¦..hill start assist is especially helpful in this age of no one realizing the existence of manuals and pulling up to within inches of your rear bumper at uphill stoplights.

Sure glad I donā€™t have to try to use that anti-ergonomic parking brake in that scenario. Whose idea was that?

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
dodge charger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
It had been 121 months since I last drove a stick at the time I picked my Bronco up last week. So, so glad I insisted to myself that I get the manual, it is fantastic and absolutely love it. It's definitely much easier than the 90 Bronco stick I learned to drive on for sure.

GToddC5

Badlands
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 1971 Toyota FJ40, 1998 Corvette 'vert
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I hate to admit this, but I haven't taken the cover off my FJ40 for the 6 months I've owned the Bronco. I just love driving this damn thing everywhere! My legs cringe at the thought of the old clutch and manual brakes on the FJ40 šŸ˜‚

Sponsored

long_road

Big Bend
First Name
TR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
202? 4dr CG Big Bend 2.3 7MT (Ordered)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Glad to hear mostly favorable things about the Bronco manual trans. I've driven nothing but manuals for my whole driving life. I've had Hondas, Subarus, Nissans, Fords, Jeeps, etc. Looking forward to learning a new MT if/when I ever get one.

BigBendBW

Heritage
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Base Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
This has to be the easiest clutch Iā€™ve ever driven and the ā€œauto gasā€ as I call it (because I donā€™t know what the proper term is) is amazing!

Iā€™ve had the bronco 3 weeks and have driven it exclusively. I pulled my ā€˜97 TJ out of the garage this afternoon and didnā€™t stall but damn that clutch is stiff as a rock, as are the brakes. Went down the road and Iā€™m out of sync with the gas shifting (so a nice big rev between gears). I feel like Iā€™ve never drive stick before in my life and my wife is laughing. I used to think the TJ had the easiest clutch of any truck Iā€™ve owned until now, damn am I spoiled!

Also shift throws are short and crisp compared to my past jeeps and trucks.

Anyone else notice this?
šŸ’Æ

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

BTW: are you referring to "Hill Assist" where it keeps revs at engagement point for a few seconds so you can get moving from a stop?
On a hill, the brakes hold for a moment or two as you are releasing the clutch, PLUS ...
any time you let out on the clutch SLOWLY , it will pick up the revs and you can easily launch from a dead stop without touching the gas.
Add those two together and you'll find that this thing is a dream to drive in what may have been slightly more challenging scenarios for "some".

Day 1 , I thought it was impossible to stall. I let the wife drive, who is competent with a stick, she agreed ... EASY to learn.
THEN, I let the daughter attempt to learn how to drive a manual ... she killed it about 20 times in about an hour, LOL.
Sure glad I donā€™t have to try to use that anti-ergonomic parking brake in that scenario. Whose idea was that?
ā¤ ā¤ ā¤

Can almost guarantee it was one of the young engineers who doesn't either offroad or drive a manual.
A nice hand lever manual version would be nice, but I think that would take away some of the other automatic brake functions, just guessing, like the hill start assist, etc.

mul1gan

Badlands
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
ditto, love the manual.... just not the DMV traffic all hours of the day/night
Sponsored