Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 U15 Sport Edition; 2021 AMB 4 Door Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Horsepower to weight ratio. The newer vehicle with a modern body composition paired with the horsepower and torque of the newer drivetrain should keep the numbers decent. I am hoping for mid teens in town and high teens/low twenties on long trips. I did not buy this for MPG, but SPG.:cool:
Sponsored

Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Who knew a boxed shaped, lifted, with big tires vehicle wouldn't get optimal fuel mileage???

Come on fellas when you buy off-road vehicles (ie raptors, broncos, jeeps) you're not concerned about fuel mileage.
Going from 15mpg combined to 20mpg combined saves you $2500 over the course of 5 years. That savings would get you the High package on your 2026 Bronco...

Itchysquatch

Badlands
First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 4runner, 2014 E class
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
UM...Turbos are much better than NA Engines at altitude becasue they are forced induction and can keep the air more compressed into the engine....so...yeah.
Yep, just look at aviation. There are no normally aspirated engines at altitude... no power. You need either a jet engine (basically a few turbos put together), or a turbo piston engine .... turbos enable you to take thin air, and compress it to add more o2 for combustion (the dumbed down and overly simplistic version).

frinesi2

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'92 Pajero 2.5TD, '99 Land Cruiser '15 Golf TDI
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Don't get cute.

All engines struggle at altitude, but turbos have issues when driven above 7000 like I said. A ton of research on this.

Will the engine work? Yes, it will likely work up to 15,000, but MPG and performance suffer. That was a general statement that didn't require qualifiers and can't be debated. A turbo at sea level is operating in optimal conditions, versus at altitude.

To say that turbo engines operate "better" or "well" at high altitude is just ignorant and misleading. Believe whatever you want makes no difference to me. I just think we need to be careful about some of the information we put out there.
Cute? lol

Show me what I'm meant to be reading because clearly I'm missing your point here.

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

lol

Ah, the age old argument that just won't die. "More complexity = bad bad bad!"

And just to be clear, the 5.4 you're lauding was an over-engineered, over-complicated single overhead cam engine with bad COP units, junk fuel pump driver module, stretchy timing chains and tensioners, and spark plugs blowing out through the hood, right? All stuffed in a giant, oversized, ridiculously heavy iron block where it managed to wheeze out a paltry 235hp.

The old 351 F150 would go 0-60 in about 9-10 seconds. Motor Trend was floored when the new '97 F150 with the 4.6 managed 0-60 in 8.8 seconds. The 2V 5.4 would get to 60 in 10+ seconds.

Car and Driver tested the 2.7 F150 at 5.7 seconds 0-60. That's as fast as a Mustang GT from not that long ago.

And I know it's been said here a bajillion times but apparently some of you people have really poor reading comprehension. Turbo motors can be way more efficient when you stay out of boost. Drive one hard and it will use as much fuel as a V8. Stay light on the throttle and it will sip fuel and return the kind of mileage a V8 would only get during freefall.

Check Fuelly results for the F-250 with the 5.4. Most people that track and publish their tanks consistently see ~11mpg combined. Not on that one tank one time, not just for 20 miles coasting down a mountain, but all driving combined.

The 2.7 F-150 manages 17-19 mpg, a 73% improvement. Not to mention that the 2.7 F-150 can tow 9000lbs. where the 5.4 F250 is only rated to 7800lbs with the same axle ratio.

In summary, the turbo engines make WAY MORE TORQUE WAY DOWN LOW than most current NA V8s, and ESPECIALLY more than the old V8 junk they put in trucks a few decades ago. They are faster, more powerful, more responsive, more comfortable, smoother, quieter, and monumentally more capable trucks.

Can you find people that have had bad experiences with EcoBoost engine failures? Sure! But you better not look into the 5.4 3V cam phasers, or spark plug blowouts, or Coyote piston rattles, or burnt intake valves, or bad coolant leaks. And definitely don't look at the oil consumption, collapsed lifters, cracked heads, valve spring failures, and timing chain tensioners on the LS engines.

ihavespoken.gif
Well now. You shouldn't have said all of those facts. Facts backed by actual research/sources/links don't fly around here.
We like pure speculation and assumption.

Seriously, though. Valid points, good info. I've had a few of the 3V 5.4 and luckily no catastrophic issues. IAC, coil packs, fuel pump relays, stuff like that. Weak? Oh yeah. Fuel hungry? My Expy got about 13 avg. Close to 18 when newer and fresher.

Good, valid points for sure.

Sponsored

A51Bronco

Wildtrak
First Name
Geoffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford FX4, 2022 Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Going from 15mpg combined to 20mpg combined saves you $2500 over the course of 5 years. That savings would get you the High package on your 2026 Bronco...
I'll have the Warty by 2023 (if Ford produces) so savings is irrelevant lol. As long as my gauge in the raptor stays above 15 mpg overall I'm satisfied. I'm more concerned with the ability of a vehicle to pull you back in the seat than the mpg dial staying efficient. Everyone has their thing though, not knocking your logic.

frinesi2

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'92 Pajero 2.5TD, '99 Land Cruiser '15 Golf TDI
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

lol

Ah, the age old argument that just won't die. "More complexity = bad bad bad!"

And just to be clear, the 5.4 you're lauding was an over-engineered, over-complicated single overhead cam engine with bad COP units, junk fuel pump driver module, stretchy timing chains and tensioners, and spark plugs blowing out through the hood, right? All stuffed in a giant, oversized, ridiculously heavy iron block where it managed to wheeze out a paltry 235hp.

The old 351 F150 would go 0-60 in about 9-10 seconds. Motor Trend was floored when the new '97 F150 with the 4.6 managed 0-60 in 8.8 seconds. The 2V 5.4 would get to 60 in 10+ seconds.

Car and Driver tested the 2.7 F150 at 5.7 seconds 0-60. That's as fast as a Mustang GT from not that long ago.

And I know it's been said here a bajillion times but apparently some of you people have really poor reading comprehension. Turbo motors can be way more efficient when you stay out of boost. Drive one hard and it will use as much fuel as a V8. Stay light on the throttle and it will sip fuel and return the kind of mileage a V8 would only get during freefall.

Check Fuelly results for the F-250 with the 5.4. Most people that track and publish their tanks consistently see ~11mpg combined. Not on that one tank one time, not just for 20 miles coasting down a mountain, but all driving combined.

The 2.7 F-150 manages 17-19 mpg, a 73% improvement. Not to mention that the 2.7 F-150 can tow 9000lbs. where the 5.4 F250 is only rated to 7800lbs with the same axle ratio.

In summary, the turbo engines make WAY MORE TORQUE WAY DOWN LOW than most current NA V8s, and ESPECIALLY more than the old V8 junk they put in trucks a few decades ago. They are faster, more powerful, more responsive, more comfortable, smoother, quieter, and monumentally more capable trucks.

Can you find people that have had bad experiences with EcoBoost engine failures? Sure! But you better not look into the 5.4 3V cam phasers, or spark plug blowouts, or Coyote piston rattles, or burnt intake valves, or bad coolant leaks. And definitely don't look at the oil consumption, collapsed lifters, cracked heads, valve spring failures, and timing chain tensioners on the LS engines.

ihavespoken.gif

Hush! If people learn that a DOHC TTv6 only has, like, 12 more moving parts than a pushrod V8 then they'll all want one!

abe

Wildtrak
First Name
Abe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 F150 XLT 2.7 (sold 😥), 84 Chevy K5, 09 Chevy T
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I got 20ish in my 2.7 f150 mixed highway/city and 22 or 23 pure highway driving. The only time I got down around 17 was when towing. That extra complexity seems worth it to me just from fuel savings from my experience. I don't expect my Bronco to get quite as good mpg, though.

Sponsored

Deleted member 13702

OK, I currently drive a 2012 Sierra 1500 with a 5.3 (Old 350). I get about 17 MPG banging up and down the mountains in Appalachia. Got about the same in my 2004 F250 with the 5.4 (old 351) I am trying to wrap my head around little turbo engines that deliver about the same MPG with a shit ton of more moving parts to break down, what's the point?...
Impressive gas mileage on some old Trucks, my 07 Tundra can squeak out 14 city and 18 highway so the Bronco should be an improvement. It should be a definite improvement over my old 01 Ram which got 7 in the city and 12 on the highway.

I think options will play a lot into the overall gas mileage. Especially comparing a fully loaded BL to a stripped down base model. Might be one of the issues with releasing current MPG estimates.

Either way, I feel you on wishing that the projected estimates were higher. On a side note, I am renting a 4 cylinder, 4 door Jeep this week for an unexpected trip. The little 4 cylinder is way more powerful than I expected. So I assume that engineering the Bronco’s 4 to have all that HP and TQ came at a cost to MPG.

Edit:
I’m currently at 2,700’, will be driving up to 7,000 feet later in the week, so should be a good test of engine performance at higher altitudes. If anyone is interested I can report back on power and mpg performance comparisons, although I’d bet there are quite a few Jeep peeps from CO who probably have way more experience with a turbo 4 at higher elevations.

Last edited by a moderator:

RockEye

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Subaru WRX STI, 2DR Badlands Reservation
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I strongly suggest you guys do some reading on this topic before going further.

Air pressure (volume) is lower at altitude and this is the cornerstone of how turbos work. All engines work harder at altitude, but manufacturers always factor in the effect on their turbo engines. Although performance is affected, it isn't terrible. Mostly, you take a hit on MPG.

Hopefully someone from Colorado makes some comments.
The cornerstone of how turbos work is the exhaust side of the turbine is spun by the exhaust. It doesn't care about altitude. The shaft connected to the intake side sucks in air and compresses it forcing a greater volume of air into the engine.

Atmospheric pressure at sea level is 14.7 psi. and only 10.1 at 10,000 feet. Meaning an N/A engine can only suck in 10.1 psi whereas a forced induction engine can easily exceed that.

It's an absolute fact that turbos are better at altitude than naturally aspirated. I can't understand why you would argue that. Maybe you think people are saying they work better at altitude than they do at sea level which nobody would. The point is they are better at altitude than N/A is.

Last edited:

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
The turbos will also perform far better in the mountains than naturally aspirated. Maybe not so much in the Appilachia but go to the Rockies and you'll quickly notice power drop as you go up. Turbos will keep pulling no problem.
This. The naturally aspirated 4 cyl low compression motor in my old Land Rover, is like a squirrel peddling at 11,000 ft in the Colorado Rockies. What a dog. Happy about turbo usage on the new Bronco for better high altitude performance.

Edit: I'll have to read up on what MadMan4BamaNATL was writing, I have little experience with turbos, but what I've read indicate they are valuable at higher altitudes.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

OK, I currently drive a 2012 Sierra 1500 with a 5.3 (Old 350). I get about 17 MPG banging up and down the mountains in Appalachia. Got about the same in my 2004 F250 with the 5.4 (old 351) I am trying to wrap my head around little turbo engines that deliver about the same MPG with a shit ton of more moving parts to break down, what's the point?...
I'm with you. I figured Ford's shift to ecoboost was aimed at meeting CAFE standards, but they really don't get much better than competitors NA engines. They do, however, generate a lot of horsepower..so there's that. I've had several NA V-6's that exceeded 20 mpgs (Ranger, Bronco II's Explorers, Mustang) and , at least in the later model ones, had fine power. Not to mention my old work Chevy 5.3 that also got 20 mpg and would screech the tires in the first three gears. I would have preferred a NA V-6 in my new Bronco, just like some wanted a V-8 or SFA. Not gonna happen and I'll be happy with what I get.
Sponsored