Sponsored

Rivian shocks with R2, R3, R3X reveals! $45K starting price, 0-60 under 3 secs, 300+ miles range, NACS port

Strykerwsu

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Holden Commodores
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Iā€™m the minorityā€¦I do not like EVs, for many reasons. Long live ICE!
So I must ask, have you driven one or lived with one for a week? I have a 600 hp ICE that is fun but cant put the power down except when I out on slicks. Both my EVs are faster on the street and 10x as efficient.

You never have to waste time at gas stations or changing oil etc. Your vehicle is cool or hot inside when you open the door. Currently they meet 95% of most peoples use case.

After my friends have borrowed mine for a few days they have changed their minds as well.
Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The R3X is a Gremlin!
th-3174772514.jpeg
Fuck.
Now I have to have one!
That's what i learned to drive in!!!!
Like this, but with a black stripe! LOL!
Ford Bronco Rivian shocks with R2, R3, R3X reveals! $45K starting price, 0-60 under 3 secs, 300+ miles range, NACS port 1709869504787

HighVelocity

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Triumph Scrambler, Ferrari 458
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I see they doubled down on the stupid headlights.

I have a deposit with Edison Motors for their hybrid conversion on either my F350 or F550. That's as close to an EV I'll ever get, but I like seeing new stuff come out, especially with startups.

BCKMRKR

Wildtrak
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Wildtrak 2-Door, '19 Miata, '15 M235i
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Put my name on the R3x mailing list. If I could have put a deposit down, I would have. Wife's friend has the pickup (her husband works for them) and it is very cleverly designed and looks to be very well made. Do I need it? No, but likely half the cost of a loaded Macan EV, which was at the top of the if-I-have-to-get-an-EV list.

Announcements like this are why Tesla is in real trouble as people realize they have choices, especially in areas saturated with Model 3 and Model Y like the SF Bay Area / Peninsula where on a typical late afternoon or weekend day, probably 20% of the cars/SUVs on the road are Teslas (and half of them are their stock gray). People have wised up to Elon's over-promising, like the sub 1-second roadster and full self driving.

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Most Americans aren't necessarily anti-EV. We're anti $75k "luxury" EV.

New ICE vehicles can still be had in the $25k range which EV manufacturers have yet to be able to touch. Until then the appeal is very narrow.
But weā€™re continually being told that EVā€™s are ā€œaffordable.ā€ šŸ˜‚
Iā€™m shopping for an EV right now and also put down the $100 reservation on the new R2. With the $7500 federal and $3500 state incentives I can buy a Tesla Model Y long range AWD for under $40K out the door. Some other EVā€™s are in the similar price point, like the Mustang Mach E or the awesome looking Hyundai Ioniq 5. Comparing these cars in the $40K range to the ICE market and they are good values if you have cheap power. I recently added 36 panels of solar on my house and have enough surplus power for probably two EVā€™s. One could argue that the subsidies shouldnā€™t be available to buyers, but for todayā€™s calculation they are available. Iā€™m not going to move away from keeping a couple ICE vehicles, but there is certainly a place in my fleet for an EV.

Sponsored

WarthogJr

Black Diamond
First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Iā€™m shopping for an EV right now and also put down the $100 reservation on the new R2. With the $7500 federal and $3500 state incentives I can buy a Tesla Model Y long range AWD for under $40K out the door. Some other EVā€™s are in the similar price point, like the Mustang Mach E or the awesome looking Hyundai Ioniq 5. Comparing these cars in the $40K range to the ICE market and they are good values if you have cheap power. I recently added 36 panels of solar on my house and have enough surplus power for probably two EVā€™s. One could argue that the subsidies shouldnā€™t be available to buyers, but for todayā€™s calculation they are available. Iā€™m not going to move away from keeping a couple ICE vehicles, but there is certainly a place in my fleet for an EV.
Iā€™m curious, how much did you pay for your THIRTY SIX panel solar installation in MA to get that cheap power?

F-Spot

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla, FJ
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I thought they already produce a car. You know the one that the truck is based off of. Very much like a Kia.

Ford Bronco Rivian shocks with R2, R3, R3X reveals! $45K starting price, 0-60 under 3 secs, 300+ miles range, NACS port 1709870935876

Ford Bronco Rivian shocks with R2, R3, R3X reveals! $45K starting price, 0-60 under 3 secs, 300+ miles range, NACS port 1709870935876
Who already produced a car? The truck based on? Like a Kia? I'm confused. Are you saying Rivian already produces a car, and that their truck is based on said car, and that it looks like a Kia?

Truck (R1T) was first...then the SUV (R1S)...both were out before the Kia EV9

Surfnbike

First Name
Mahtayo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rivian R1T, Tesla Model Y
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I'm actually pretty excited about this Bronco will be paid off and will be a toy when I want to go off roading or camping. Wife will need a new ride in a couple of years, so I put a deposit down on the R2 to replace her car. I will probably get the refreshed Lightning when it comes out with the 800 volt architecture.

After driving multiple EV's from different manufacturers for those that haven't its literally like going back in time 100 years every time I get in an ICE car. ICE driving is really that bad and you don't realize it until you've actually commuted or driven in an EV. To each there own but the Bronco will probably be my last ICE car.
I second your statement on it being difficult to go back to gas. For me it is the pure fun of having continuous power with no shift points and hitting 0-60 in 3.0 seconds. I have two EVs--an R1T and Tesla--and no gas cars presently. I have solar so it ends up costing very little to drive these, and no more pain at the pump for $5 or $6/gal gas in Cali. What has sucked is now that Tesla has dropped their prices in the new world of 9% auto loans, presumably in order to keep output as high as possible and grab market share, my resale value at least for the Y has plummeted.

If ever there was a time to get a Tesla, now is the time. They are literally 33% cheaper than they were just a couple of years ago! $36K for a new Model Y after the tax credit. Wish I would have held off on my purchase a couple of years...I feel like I paid ADM on my '22 purchase.

mattymik

Wildtrak
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Odyssey, 2023 WildTrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Honestly that R3X is pretty sweet. I think they hit the retro-mod styling in a most unexpected way by aiming for those 80s-90s hatchbacks.

I will definitely consider one for a daily commuter.

Sponsored

Area51BS

Badlands
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands non SAS 4dr 2.3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Who already produced a car? The truck based on? Like a Kia? I'm confused. Are you saying Rivian already produces a car, and that their truck is based on said car, and that it looks like a Kia?

Truck (R1T) was first...then the SUV (R1S)...both were out before the Kia EV9
Joke. Amazing how similar the Rivian truck looks like a Kia

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Iā€™m curious, how much did you pay for your THIRTY SIX panel solar installation in MA to get that cheap power?
Right at $50K, and $16K of that will come back in tax credits when I file for 2024. The math works out to a 6 year ROI and a cost per kWh of 16.5 cents. Electricity from the utility here is currently 37 cents per kWh, and seems to increase every year. Without factoring in for EV usage they estimated we needed about 19 panels for $30K, but everyone I know who has solar said to add more panels. so I went as large as the utility would allow. Iā€™ve already owned a 2022 Ford Lightning and knew weā€™ll have at least one EV in the house before long. I also have a couple of welders and a large climate controlled workshop to play in.

We sold the old house last fall and used some of the equity to buy the solar outright, otherwise those funds wouldā€™ve gone to pay down the mortgage like the rest of the equity did. We plan on being in this home for the long haul, so the investment makes sense. If I were still living in AZ and paying 15 cents per kWh the solar wouldnā€™t have made financial sense.

This is the array over the garage/shop and the production for February. I was impressed with the production for the first month, being in the winter and with some snow storms I expected less. Surplus power returned to the grid generates credits at the current retail rate (37 cents per kWh) to be used later. The credits never expire and there is no cap, they can also be transferred to up to seven other meters. If you move to a new home within the same utility region the credits transfer.

Ford Bronco Rivian shocks with R2, R3, R3X reveals! $45K starting price, 0-60 under 3 secs, 300+ miles range, NACS port IMG_7557
Ford Bronco Rivian shocks with R2, R3, R3X reveals! $45K starting price, 0-60 under 3 secs, 300+ miles range, NACS port IMG_6359

Last edited:

Spooled

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

The R2 production ramp will be Rivian's "Tesla Model 3 Production Hell" moment. It will make or break them. Right now they are burning through cash they don't have to begin with. I work for a competitor and I'm rooting for them. Competition is good. The R3X looks like a blast to drive. Now to see what Scout shows off this summer.

JTBros

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GR Corolla
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I know this isn't the crowd for EVs but the R2 might get some serious consideration for replacing the wife's explorer.
Iā€™ve been considering a three row EV for down the line to replace our RAV4 eventually, but really donā€™t want a massive SUV like an R1S or EV9. Would love if there was a hideaway third row available in the R2. Also wish they gave us some freaking buttons.
Most Americans aren't necessarily anti-EV. We're anti $75k "luxury" EV.

New ICE vehicles can still be had in the $25k range which EV manufacturers have yet to be able to touch. Until then the appeal is very narrow.
You can get a model 3 for high 30s before tax incentives. Same goes for the Ioniq 6. But the thing is the average new car sale price was around $48k last year. With auto manufacturers knowing that they constantly pushed up market. Will we see that trend reverse this year with new car sales slowing for just about everything? Iā€™d hope so.
Sponsored