North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I hope you all aren’t expecting super good braking performance on 35” tires that aren’t street oriented
Of course I am, I'm trading in my beamer/benz/tuner/rice burner for the Bronco, how else will it perform on cruise nights and track days?

/s
Sponsored

Cousin Eddie

Badlands
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cadillac
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So this may be a stupid question but here it goes...
Are there any special tools needed for changing the brakes? Back in the day when I did my own maintenance on my 80 Bronco with front disks, front brake pad changing was as simple as
  1. Remove wheel
  2. Remove a couple of bolts and pull the caliper
  3. Use a C-clamp to compress the caliper
  4. remove the old pads
  5. pop in the new pads and reassemble the caliper and wheels
Granted I'm leaving out either cutting or replacing the rotor and any bleeding if needed but overall it could be as simple as that.

A few years ago, my father-in -law told me a nightmare he ran into. When he tried to change the brake pads on a 2013 fusion, he ran into an issue where the caliper locked up on him and he couldn't get them opened back up even with the old pads. He ended up having to get the Fusion towed to the dealer to complete the brake change. He said something about the brakes being pneumatic and not hydraulic.

Anyone have additional info on this? Thanks.

OP
OP
xcxv

xcxv

Heritage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
I expect super good braking performance while I’m battling against a Jeep JL on i95 @ 100mph.

(jk)

Thed

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GX460 '16 Miata '67 F-100 '21 Streetfighter V4
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

The brakes are perfectly fine. Don't put too much stock in to rotor diameter, it's not as important as most think.

With the thiccccness of the rotors, these will have no issue stopping hard time after time.

Thed

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GX460 '16 Miata '67 F-100 '21 Streetfighter V4
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Are there any special tools needed for changing the brakes? Back in the day when I did my own maintenance on my 80 Bronco with front disks, front brake pad changing was as simple as
  1. Remove wheel
  4. remove the old pads
Granted I'm leaving out either cutting or replacing the rotor and any bleeding if needed but overall it could be as simple as that.

A few years ago, my father-in -law told me a nightmare he ran into. When he tried to change the brake pads on a 2013 fusion, he ran into an issue where the caliper locked up on him and he couldn't get them opened back up even with the old pads. He ended up having to get the Fusion towed to the dealer to complete the brake change. He said something about the brakes being pneumatic and not hydraulic.

Rear calipers contain electronic parking brakes. There's more than likely a special procedure for it.

Sponsored

hellahella

Badlands
First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Fixed it for ya'. 🙃
Haha yea, had a brain fart. Rims is what i meant. That’s what happens when there’s 5 new videos pop up showing how modular the Bronco really is

brunjc2

Base
First Name
Jud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 VW GTI
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

1. Remove wheel
  4. remove the old pads

Thats about it, unless the bearings/hub are integrated into the disc, which on the Bronco it doesn’t appear that way.

I typically use a long flathead screwdriver and pry between the backing plate on the pad and rotor.

brunjc2

Base
First Name
Jud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 VW GTI
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Rear calipers contain electronic parking brakes. There's more than likely a special procedure for it.
This too, the MB 166 ML/GL has a “service position” that you put it into with steering wheel buttons and the cluster, then it’s business as usual. Ford may be similar? Idk.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

With no power assist on top of that and you get some real driving excitement!
Let alone not power assisted brakes...

Oh yeah, no power anything. Power steering is pretty awesome too.

Brakes used to be just a suggestion. I remember pumping and standing on them quite a bit when I had more of a lead foot, and that was when they were in good working order.

One time a guy wanted me to ferry his truck back to town. No problem, I like driving other peoples stuff. It was in the Kootenay Mountains in SE BC, way back into elk country. He dropped me off and it looked fun. An early 70s 3/4 ton long bed Ford on 37s. Had a bit of mountain driving and a pick your line and hope for the best river crossing to get back to the road, but it wasn't my truck so I was game. I get in to start it up and he comes to the window and says, oh yeah, the brakes aren't so good. You can only use them once. I asked if he meant not to pump them and he said no, they will only work one time between here and town. Cool, not my truck but at least it had a granny low. Got me back to town without going over the edge.

PDiddy

Black Diamond
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Hopefully the brakes are enough. I had a 2015 4Runner with 33s. The stock rotors constantly warped and the brakes were weak. They were not designed to handle larger tires.

My new Gladiator has 35s, and I tow a 6000k trailer. The brakes are fantastic. Not weak at all and no warping. Between the extra torque and brakes, the 35s on the Gladiator seem smaller than the 33s on my 4Runner. basically, I have no problem getting them moving or stopping them.

I'm hoping the 35s on the Bronco feel the same, since they are designing the Bronco around the larger tire size. We know it will have the Torque.

Sponsored

Cousin Eddie

Badlands
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cadillac
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

... Add that to the issues suppliers face and JIT manufacturing and it’s pretty clear this part of the launch delay was not primarily related to “bad planning “...
Just my 2 cents.

I think the JIT manufacturing has to be the driving issue with commodity availability. Like all modern manufacturers and assemblers, Ford doesn't want to have inventory sitting on a shelf where they have to pay for the storage space. The suppliers can't afford to make the parts and have them sit around waiting for Ford to take delivery (and pay for them). As the actual orders start getting placed, Ford coordinates with the suppliers for scheduling delivery. As higher than expected orders for commodities come in, lead times go up.

Throw covid into the mix and suppliers are less risk adverse and probably trying to just stay afloat nevermid try to get ahead of the curve to get parts manufactured.

ac360

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'll offer my humble $0.02 ...

1. Best 60-0 braking distance is mostly tire limited. As long as your brakes can lock up the wheels, you're braking power is maxed out. Brake fade and it its ability to shed heat is a whole other discussion.

2. Largest diameter discs are wheel limited. With the largest wheel being 17", rotor disc diameter isn't going to be great. On the bright side, besides diameter, the disc thickness also counts. The Bronco seems to have very thick discs (at least on the upper trims).

3. From the posted pictures, it looks like the front calipers have 2 pistons each, clamping very large pads (i.e., large surface area). Good friction, good heat soak ability, possible good heat shedding ability from the larger vent vanes.

I myself am not going to worry about the Bronco's braking. This is not a track car.

EvlNvrDys

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'84 Bronco, '93 Bronco, '94 Bronco, 2012 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Single Part Number for all models? Doesn't look heavy duty to me.

Screenshot 2021-03-02 145550.jpg
Screenshot 2021-03-02 145632.jpg
Screenshot 2021-03-02 145511.jpg

Photo Credit Bronco6G YouTube
Dude, it's a Bronco.. Why do you care about stopping? Just drive over it. ;)

UncleBuck

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Ranger XLT 4.0L - 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Are people planning to drive this thing like a formula 1 car? I’m sure the engineered rotors are just fine. They’ve built F150 raptors for almost 10 years, pushing 35’s in a high power, heavy truck that people drive hard. I think Ford knows how to engineer the brakes for this thing.

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

You are not going to get a larger rotor to fit in a 17" wheel. They are likely the same brakes found on the Ranger or other vehicle in the Ford line up.
Sponsored